Chain Spacing?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by jnhull, Jun 9, 2003.

  1. jnhull

    jnhull Guest

    My girlfriend has an old Raleigh with a Sachs Huret drivetrain that she uses for around town riding.
    Last week I went to the local bike shop to get a new chain for her bike and the guy there told me
    that I'd have to replace the whole drivetrain because Sachs Huret used a proprietary spacing for
    it's chains, making any new chain incompatible.

    I think he was just making it up so that he could sell me an entire component set instead of a $20
    dollar chain. Who's right? Did Sachs Huret use a funky chain spacing? And if they did, is the
    difference so great between it and modern spacing that my a bike with Sachs Huret bits and a SRAM
    chain would be inoperable? Or was the guy at the shop just trying to make a quick $100?

    Thanks,

    JNH

    Tags:

  2. [email protected] wrote:

    > I think he was just making it up so that he could sell me an entire component set instead of a $20
    > dollar chain. Who's right? Did Sachs Huret use a funky chain spacing? And if they did, is the
    > difference so great between it and modern spacing that my a bike with Sachs Huret bits and a SRAM
    > chain would be inoperable? Or was the guy at the shop just trying to make a quick $100?

    It's possible he was grossly misinformed and talking about the chain width (not the chain pitch =
    distance between rollers) since new chains are slightly narrower than old. However, this is not
    really an issue. SRAM PC-48 works on 6 speed drivetrains and probably 5s as well - only issue might
    be a little skating between chainrings depending on your setup.

    What is really ironic about this affair is that SRAM chains were Sachs chains until a few years ago.