Chain Stuck Between Front Sprockets.

Braulio

Jan 30, 2004
I bought an 80's vintage Giant Perigee - it works fine except that every now and then the chain gets stuck between the front sprockets when I'm changing gears.

I think the bike originally had 2 sprockets in front - and they went to three as a retrofit - it's a Biopace setup.

I took it in to my LBS - they said they adjusted the derailer and all was well - but it wasn't.

Is this symptomatic of something specif? Is it possible that I might need a wider chain to accomodate the front sprocket retrofit?

I'd like to at least be able to talk a little more intelligently when I rreturn it to the LBS - or fix it myself.

Thanks.

PS - this is not chain suck - the chain actually gets lodged between spockets - and it's a bugger trying to get it back out.

Well, without seeing the bike I cannot tell for sure what might be the best thing to do, but I would have some questions. First, does it get stuck in the same spot everytime? This is a big indication as to what is malfunctioning specifically the chain or the chain ring or the derailluer. My guess is that the malfunction is not with the derailluer. Maybe go back to the old set up and see if the chain gets stuck with only two rings. This will help you determine if the prob is with the change or the bike. Then you narrow down the problem components even further. I would also want to know the specs of the rings in the front. Do you know the width of the rings and how that compares to other or your pervious rings? Is it possible that the rings are too narrow for the set-up? Maybe the derailluer displacement is divided into increments which are a bit greater than the width betweenyour chain rings. Probably caused by the switch. If that is the case, you may be able to shim the rings to catch the chain when it gets shifted beyond the ring. Let me know what you find in youe experiments.