Chain suck...

DilusionNews

Guest
I've been having a problem with my specialized enduro expert....

the chain sometimes falls off.... and when it does.....

it immediately gets pinched between the frame, and the bolts of the granny
ring......

this very quickly bends my chain, and has also so far destroyed (warped) one
granny ring.....

it seems to me that this would be a simple design change, to not allow the
chain to fit in that place..... flat headed bolts even would allow the
pedals to spin freely without destorying/pinching the chain....

so my question is....

what is the definition of chain suck?
and is this a normal problem? and does it always cause this much damage?

how do i prevent this in the future?

thanks,

dilusion

DilusionNews wrote:
> I've been having a problem with my specialized enduro expert....
>>

> what is the definition of chain suck?
> and is this a normal problem? and does it always cause this much
> damage?
>
> how do i prevent this in the future?
>
> thanks,

yep, that's chain suck all right. Ask me how I know. And Gab, as it took two
of us to get my really sucked chain out from under the granny gear on Sat.
(Jerry we didn't tell you about that part)

Possibilities include but are not limited to shifting under load,(operator
error) bent chain rings, out of whack front derailleur, front derailleur
just a mm or two too high, chain rings put on a 1/4 turn wrong. It
shouldn't be a design problem on a Specialized, as it is not a design flaw
on Kona either.

pay attention to how and when you are shifting in the front, and make sure
you are not shifting under load, that will do it every time.
Me, I'm going to rebuild my drive train **myself** as there as a number of
problems, some of them from letting someone who doesn't know what they think
they know work on my bike.

Penny

news:[email protected]...

http://www.fagan.co.za/Bikes/Csuck/CHAINSUCK.htm

--

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
The rest I've just wasted.