chain too loose?

createdtodestry

Jul 12, 2004
Hi, I was wondering, on a mountainbike if when you jump(even little stuff) and the chain is slapping the chainstay really bad, does this means the chain is too loose? My chain really seems to slap around and falls off the sprocket once in a while. Is there a way to make the chain tensioner stiffer, or should i take a link or 2 out of the chain? Thanks for your time :) .

createdtodestry said:
Hi, I was wondering, on a mountainbike if when you jump(even little stuff) and the chain is slapping the chainstay really bad, does this means the chain is too loose? My chain really seems to slap around and falls off the sprocket once in a while. Is there a way to make the chain tensioner stiffer, or should i take a link or 2 out of the chain? Thanks for your time :) .

The chain whapping against the chainstays in no way indicates a loose chain. Simply protect the chainstays as chipped paint from this chain-slapping is inevitable. You can purchase gator skins - clear plastic covers that adhere to your chainstays. If you're not worried about looks or just want a temporary solution, wrap an old tube around the chainstay and secure with electrical tape.

Chain length can be determined several ways, but my favorite is to shift into the smallest cog and chainring. Remove only enough links so that the chain going around the two pulleys on the rear derailler does not rub against the chain going around the cogs. You can read up on this online.

i.e. go here
http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQchainlength.shtml

I already have a sticker that looks like carbon fiber around the chain stay so it doesnt chip anymore. I just thought it may be too loose or something because it really moves around alot, and falls off the sprocket. I'm buying a new full suspension frame soon so I might just buy a new rear derailer with it(its all messed up from wrecking). But for now is there any way to tighten the chain tension? thanks for your reply.

createdtodestry said:
I already have a sticker that looks like carbon fiber around the chain stay so it doesnt chip anymore. I just thought it may be too loose or something because it really moves around alot, and falls off the sprocket. I'm buying a new full suspension frame soon so I might just buy a new rear derailer with it(its all messed up from wrecking). But for now is there any way to tighten the chain tension? thanks for your reply.

Chain tension should only be adjusted by removing/adding links. There is no screw that drastically affects tension (The b-screw on the rear derailler has a small effect on tension, but it shouldn't be used for that purpose).

Just follow the instructions on sizing your chain and all the problems that can be fixed will be.

Today I was looking at it and shifted into the smallest 2 gears and the biggest 2 gears. If anything I think it maybe slightly too loose, or long. Like i said earlier though I'm buying a new frame(hopefully tonight) so I am not going to mess with it for now. It maybe to small with the new frame cause I am going from hard tail to full suspension. I am planning on getting a crank set with a bash guard, and only one chain ring sooner or later(maybe sooner since one of the crank arms is stuck on). I will be purchasing disk brakes, and it will be cheaper and easier with only one shifter.

Do you, or anyone else reading this, know of any good single cranks with a bash guard, and possibly rollers? I saw one that had a guard on both sides of the chainring with rollers, but it had chrome crank arms and cost $350.

Thanks for your help, that site will be very useful when i get my new frame.