My current chain tool is the Shimano TL-CN21, but I've read that I should
have one designed for a 10 speed chain.

I'll be using Campy components/chains. The Campy brand chain tool seems a
bit steep at around $90.

Could someone tell me if my current tool will work, and if not, what a
decent chain tool for the campy 10 speed might be.

I expect to use it only 2-3 times per year at the most.

Jeff

On 2007-09-20, Jeff <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm about to build my first 10 speed road bike - ...have used/built only 9
> speeds before.
>
> My current chain tool is the Shimano TL-CN21, but I've read that I should
> have one designed for a 10 speed chain.

Sounds like **** to me, the pin is the same diameter, just shorter you
current tool should be fine.

Cheers

Joel

--
Human Powered Cycles | High quality servicing and repairs
[email protected] | Affordable second hand bikes

On Sep 19, 10:18 pm, "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm about to build my first 10 speed road bike - ...have used/built only 9
> speeds before.
>
> My current chain tool is the Shimano TL-CN21, but I've read that I should
> have one designed for a 10 speed chain.
>
> I'll be using Campy components/chains. The Campy brand chain tool seems a
> bit steep at around $90.
>
> Could someone tell me if my current tool will work, and if not, what a
> decent chain tool for the campy 10 speed might be.

Recommend getting the Wipperman link for narrow 10s chains(designated
for shimano but fine for Campagnolo ultra, 5.9mm chains) and then use
any chain tool to shorten the chain BUT...you can get the Campag pin
into their chain with any chaintool..just lube well and push in
slowly.

> I expect to use it only 2-3 times per year at the most.
>
> Jeff

"Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> Recommend getting the Wipperman link for narrow 10s chains(designated
> for shimano but fine for Campagnolo ultra, 5.9mm chains) and then use
> any chain tool to shorten the chain BUT...you can get the Campag pin
> into their chain with any chaintool..just lube well and push in
> slowly.

Thanks. I've used the Wipperman links for all my other bikes and love them.
I'm looking now and they seem to have two versions.

From what I'm now reading, the 1 version is marked for Shimano and is 6.05mm
wide and the other is simply marked "connex" and
is 6.2mm wide and reported the one best for Campy chains. But I'm still
confused whether by "campy" they are referring to the Wipperman brand chain
that was made for the Campy drive or whether the wider 6.2 version will work
for campy brand campy chains.

Do you know which of these will work best with my Campy brand 10s chain?

Btw, Peter, wasn't it you who assisted me about 8 years ago or so in
converting a 10 speed Campy record lever to a 9 speed so that I could use it
on my tandem that had a shimano 9 speed cog? ...you been on this ng that
long?

Thanks

Jeff

On Sep 19, 11:18 pm, "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm about to build my first 10 speed road bike - ...have used/built only 9
> speeds before.
>
> My current chain tool is the Shimano TL-CN21, but I've read that I should
> have one designed for a 10 speed chain.
>
> I'll be using Campy components/chains. The Campy brand chain tool seems a
> bit steep at around $90.
>
> Could someone tell me if my current tool will work, and if not, what a
> decent chain tool for the campy 10 speed might be.
>
> I expect to use it only 2-3 times per year at the most.
>
> Jeff

The best chain tool for a campy chain is a wipperman removeable
Shimano 10 link.

Don't drop $90 - 110 for the campy tool. Spend it in quicklinks which
are $5 each.

D'ohBoy

"Jeff" <[email protected]> writes:

> From what I'm now reading, the 1 version is marked for Shimano and is
> 6.05mm wide and the other is simply marked "connex" and
> is 6.2mm wide and reported the one best for Campy chains. But I'm
> still confused whether by "campy" they are referring to the Wipperman
> brand chain that was made for the Campy drive or whether the wider 6.2
> version will work for campy brand campy chains.

The 6.2 mm is for old (pre-Ultra-Narrow) Campagnolo 10s chains and for
Wippermann's own 10s chains for Campy with the same width, for newer
Ultra-Narrow Campy chains you should use the 6.05 mm one.

Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com wrote:

> ...just lube well and push in slowly.

Anyone?!?

Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com wrote:
> On Sep 19, 10:18 pm, "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I'm about to build my first 10 speed road bike - ...have used/built only 9
>> speeds before.
>>
>> My current chain tool is the Shimano TL-CN21, but I've read that I should
>> have one designed for a 10 speed chain.
>>
>> I'll be using Campy components/chains. The Campy brand chain tool seems a
>> bit steep at around $90.
>>
>> Could someone tell me if my current tool will work, and if not, what a
>> decent chain tool for the campy 10 speed might be.

> Recommend getting the Wipperman link for narrow 10s chains(designated
> for shimano but fine for Campagnolo ultra, 5.9mm chains) and then use
> any chain tool to shorten the chain BUT...you can get the Campag pin
> into their chain with any chaintool..just lube well and push in
> slowly.

I don't trust any 10 speed Campy chain that is not closed with a
wipperman link or closed by me using a Campy chaintool. A Campy
chaintool is to expensive so the wipperman link is the only option I trust.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu (http://www.nb.nu)

Jeff wrote:
> I'm about to build my first 10 speed road bike - ...have used/built only
> 9 speeds before.
>
> My current chain tool is the Shimano TL-CN21, but I've read that I
> should have one designed for a 10 speed chain.
>
> I'll be using Campy components/chains. The Campy brand chain tool seems
> a bit steep at around $90.
>
> Could someone tell me if my current tool will work, and if not, what a
> decent chain tool for the campy 10 speed might be.
>
> I expect to use it only 2-3 times per year at the most.

First, throw out the Campagnolo chain joining system and the directions.
Get a snap link for your chain and use it.
Any chain breaker such as the timeless Cyclo Rivoli is fine to cut your
chain to length on installation. Use your snap link to separate after that.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Bill Sornson wrote:
> Anyone?!?

Nice edit there, Mr 'Family Newsgroup'.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

"A R:nen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Jeff" <[email protected]> writes:
>

> The 6.2 mm is for old (pre-Ultra-Narrow) Campagnolo 10s chains and for
> Wippermann's own 10s chains for Campy with the same width, for newer
> Ultra-Narrow Campy chains you should use the 6.05 mm one.

Ahh, now what I've seen elsewhere makes sense. Thanks. This was what I
needed to know.

....will use my existing tool to break the chain to the right size and the
6.05 "Shimano" link to join it.

Jeff

On Sep 20, 7:28 am, "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" <[email protected]> wrote in
> messagenews:[email protected]...
>
> > Recommend getting the Wipperman link for narrow 10s chains(designated
> > for shimano but fine for Campagnolo ultra, 5.9mm chains) and then use
> > any chain tool to shorten the chain BUT...you can get the Campag pin
> > into their chain with any chaintool..just lube well and push in
> > slowly.

> Thanks. I've used the Wipperman links for all my other bikes and love them.
> I'm looking now and they seem to have two versions.
>
> From what I'm now reading, the 1 version is marked for Shimano and is 6.05mm
> wide and the other is simply marked "connex" and
> is 6.2mm wide and reported the one best for Campy chains. But I'm still
> confused whether by "campy" they are referring to the Wipperman brand chain
> that was made for the Campy drive or whether the wider 6.2 version will work
> for campy brand campy chains.

Campag chains are standard 10s(6.2mm) and 'ultra', which are 5.9mm,
like shimano and Sram. Wipperman also makes 6.2 10s chains and 5.9mm
10s chains

> Do you know which of these will work best with my Campy brand 10s chain?

Look at the package and if it says 'Ultra', use the shimano type, 6.05
link.

> Btw, Peter, wasn't it you who assisted me about 8 years ago or so in
> converting a 10 speed Campy record lever to a 9 speed so that I could use it
> on my tandem that had a shimano 9 speed cog? ...you been on this ng that
> long?

Could be....most times great entertainment, informative,
enjoyable...most times.

On Sep 20, 9:38 am, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.comwrote:
>
> > ...just lube well and push in slowly.

> Anyone?!?

tee hee.......

"Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> Campag chains are standard 10s(6.2mm) and 'ultra', which are 5.9mm,
> like shimano and Sram. Wipperman also makes 6.2 10s chains and 5.9mm
> 10s chains
>>
>> Do you know which of these will work best with my Campy brand 10s chain?

> Look at the package and if it says 'Ultra', use the shimano type, 6.05
> link.

Ahh, now this fills in the remainder of the blanks. The last time I built a
bike with Campy record (my tandem) it was about 8-10 years ago and there was
only 1 campy 10 speed chain that had just come out that year and the 9
speeds were still the most common. ...but I just bought a 2008 Record group
so that will be the ultra. ...already ordered the "Shimano" sized Wipperman
links. ...funny that even the best of the mail-order places aren't
explaining which link to buy.

Thanks

Jeff

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 23:18:18 -0500, in rec.bicycles.tech "Jeff"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Could someone tell me if my current tool will work, and if not, what a
>decent chain tool for the campy 10 speed might be.

I can't see why the old one wouldn't work. I have found that, in the
cheap ones, the press pin will deform with use; however, the chain
pins should be the same size.

Jones

On Sep 23, 11:45 am, "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" <[email protected]> wrote in
> messagenews:[email protected]...
>
> > Campag chains are standard 10s(6.2mm) and 'ultra', which are 5.9mm,
> > like shimano and Sram. Wipperman also makes 6.2 10s chains and 5.9mm
> > 10s chains

> >> Do you know which of these will work best with my Campy brand 10s chain?

> > Look at the package and if it says 'Ultra', use the shimano type, 6.05
> > link.

> Ahh, now this fills in the remainder of the blanks. The last time I built a
> bike with Campy record (my tandem) it was about 8-10 years ago and there was
> only 1 campy 10 speed chain that had just come out that year and the 9
> speeds were still the most common. ...but I just bought a 2008 Record group
> so that will be the ultra. ...already ordered the "Shimano" sized Wipperman
> links. ...funny that even the best of the mail-order places aren't
> explaining which link to buy.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jeff

Funny ha, ha or funny strange?(I know, I know!!)

MO aren't 'bike shops'.