Chain Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sam Salt

I have ( had ) a Park CT-5 chain tool,only used it about half a dozen times and the thread on the
handle has stripped.I always thought Park made quality tools but I begin to wonder as a piece of my
Park chain cleaner also broke this week.No response to two e-mails either.Anyway I wondered if
anyone had any recommendatins for a decent chain tool.I was thinking of Mike Dyason ( Ozzo ) who has
some at only £1.99 but are they any good.Mind you at that price I could get about seven for the
price of the Park.

Thanks,

Sam Salt

---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.490 / Virus Database: 289 - Release Date: 16/06/2003

Sam Salt wrote:
> I have ( had ) a Park CT-5 chain tool,only used it about half a dozen times and the thread on the
> handle has stripped.I always thought Park made quality tools but I begin to wonder as a piece of
> my Park chain cleaner also broke this week.No response to two e-mails either.

More evidence that Park tools aren't all they're cracked up to be - and have over-inflated prices!

> Anyway I wondered if anyone had any recommendatins for a decent chain tool.I was thinking of Mike
> Dyason ( Ozzo ) who has some at only £1.99 but are they any good.Mind you at that price I could
> get about seven for the price of the Park.

The Dyason one is not just good, it's excellent ...to use at home, that is - basic & strong type
that works, with an ergonomic handle. Bit big & heavy to carry on rides though (either don't bother
or get a different one for especially that).

~PB

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 19:15:42 +0000 (UTC), "Sam Salt"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I have ( had ) a Park CT-5 chain tool,only used it about half a dozen times and the thread on the
>handle has stripped.I always thought Park made quality tools but I begin to wonder as a piece of my
>Park chain cleaner also broke this week.No response to two e-mails either.Anyway I wondered if
>anyone had any recommendatins for a decent chain tool.I was thinking of Mike Dyason ( Ozzo ) who
>has some at only £1.99 but are they any good.Mind you at that price I could get about seven for the
>price of the Park.
>

These are thoughts I've had submerged in the recesses of the mind for some time, without ever really
bringing them forward! I remember I bought a park crank puller, it was the first tool I acquired
'this cycling time around' - last time was when I was 16! I used it a few times, not that many, and
the threads have also stripped somewhat - and this not due to faulty use. It cost £15. When I was in
the US, working part-time in a bike shop, I got a few tools as part payment for 'services rendered'
- (I was the main 'tube changer). One of which was a Pyramid <they make cheap generic tools> crank
puller. It's doing just fine after twice the use that the Park experienced. This was about 7 bucks I
think - basically under half the price of the Park.

Mind you, I do think the Park spoke wrenches are really excellent.

Basically, we buy and we try.

Garry

Thanks Pete will invest in one ,at that price you can't go wrong.Got one on a multi-tool that is
fine to take along on rides.It seems you are correct about Park Tools.I certainly shan't be
investing in any more especially seeing thay can't be bothered to respond to e-mails.

Sam Salt

Pete Biggs wrote:
> Sam Salt wrote:
>> I have ( had ) a Park CT-5 chain tool,only used it about half a dozen times and the thread on the
>> handle has stripped.I always thought Park made quality tools but I begin to wonder as a piece of
>> my Park chain cleaner also broke this week.No response to two e-mails either.
>
> More evidence that Park tools aren't all they're cracked up to be - and have over-inflated prices!
>
>> Anyway I wondered if anyone had any recommendatins for a decent chain tool.I was thinking of Mike
>> Dyason ( Ozzo ) who has some at only £1.99 but are they any good.Mind you at that price I could
>> get about seven for the price of the Park.
>
> The Dyason one is not just good, it's excellent ...to use at home, that is - basic & strong type
> that works, with an ergonomic handle. Bit big & heavy to carry on rides though (either don't
> bother or get a different one for especially that).
>
> ~PB

---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.491 / Virus Database: 290 - Release Date: 18/06/2003

Sam Salt deftly scribbled:

> I have ( had ) a Park CT-5 chain tool,only used it about half a dozen times and the thread on the
> handle has stripped.I always thought Park made quality tools but I begin to wonder as a piece of
> my Park chain cleaner also broke this week.No response to two e-mails either.Anyway I wondered if
> anyone had any recommendatins for a decent chain tool.I was thinking of Mike Dyason ( Ozzo ) who
> has some at only £1.99 but are they any good.Mind you at that price I could get about seven for
> the price of the Park.

I've come to the conclusion that the prices of (many) cheap tools, especially those that are rarely
used, are worth buying on a job-for-job basis.

Changing a set of cranks .. Certainly Sir, a new Crank Puller at £5 as well ? At £100 and above for
the cranks it's worth buying a new thread each time IMHO. Maybe a bit different for a chain tool as
they're a more regularly serviced item .. but hey, a new one every year or so isn't *too* expensive
in the scheme of things .. ;)

--
Digweed

>I have ( had ) a Park CT-5 chain tool,only used it about half a dozen times and the thread on the
>handle has stripped.

Take it back to the shop. Mine is perfect after many tens of uses.

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com Advance
notice: ADSL service in process of transfer to a new ISP. Obviously there will be a week of downtime
between the engineer removing the BT service and the same engineer connecting the same equipment on
the same line in the same exchange and billing it to the new ISP.

Sam Salt must be edykated coz e writed:

> my Park chain cleaner also broke this week.No response to two e-mails either.Anyway I wondered if
> anyone had any recommendatins for a decent chain tool.I was thinking of Mike Dyason ( Ozzo ) who
> has some at only £1.99 but are they any good.Mind you at that price I could get about seven for
> the price of the Park.
>
I got the Halfords own cheapy, works great.

Ian

>I always thought Park made quality tools but I begin to wonder

IMHO, Park are vastly over-rated. I've stopped buying them.

For some things (spline tools), they're the only tool available. For all the others, I have better
quality tools at a fraction of the price. The cable cutters are a prime example - the cheap ones
flex so much the cables whisker between the blades, the expensive ones are a horrendous price.
Axminster's are cheaper and better than both.

Spokes keys slip and mince nuts with a vengeance. The cheap and nasty looking Spokey turns out to
work far better.

Their tyre levers are good though.

Andy Dingley wrote:

> IMHO, Park are vastly over-rated. I've stopped buying them.
>
> For some things (spline tools), they're the only tool available.

Other makes certainly provide tools for cassettes and bb splines (including Dyason's and Tacx*), and
I would have though for splined cranks as well (?).
* Tacx make the best for cartridge BB's (screw into axle to prevent slippage). See www.tacx.nl

> For all the others, I have better quality tools at a fraction of the price. The cable cutters are
> a prime example - the cheap ones flex so much the cables whisker between the blades, the
> expensive ones are a horrendous price. Axminster's are cheaper and better than both.

I've been lucky so far with Park CN-4 cutters (got as a gift; ~£25?): still seem to cut cleanly
after a few dozen uses.

~PB

Andy Dingley <[email protected]> wrote:

: For some things (spline tools), they're the only tool available. For all the others, I have better
: quality tools at a fraction of the price. The cable cutters are a prime example - the cheap ones
: flex so much the cables whisker between the blades, the expensive ones are a horrendous price.
: Axminster's are cheaper and better than both.

I really rate the Shimano cable cutters personally. Not that cheap but very very good.

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org Power is delightful. Absolute power is absolutely delightful -
Lord Lester

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 22:07:19 +0100, "Not me, someone else" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Sam Salt deftly scribbled:
>
>> I have ( had ) a Park CT-5 chain tool,only used it about half a dozen times and the thread on the
>> handle has stripped.I always thought Park made quality tools but I begin to wonder as a piece of
>> my Park chain cleaner also broke this week.No response to two e-mails either.Anyway I wondered if
>> anyone had any recommendatins for a decent chain tool.I was thinking of Mike Dyason ( Ozzo ) who
>> has some at only £1.99 but are they any good.Mind you at that price I could get about seven for
>> the price of the Park.
>
>I
I wonder if there's a faulty batch around with the tread not hardened correctly. I purchased the
above model the thread stripped the first time I used it. LBS changed it and the replacement has
been no bother

Steve

Remove nospam from email address to reply

Steve Walford wrote:
>
> On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 22:07:19 +0100, "Not me, someone else" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Sam Salt deftly scribbled:
> >
> >> I have ( had ) a Park CT-5 chain tool,only used it about half a dozen times and the thread on
> >> the handle has stripped.I always thought Park made quality tools but I begin to wonder as a
> >> piece of my Park chain cleaner also broke this week.No response to two e-mails either.Anyway I
> >> wondered if anyone had any recommendatins for a decent chain tool.I was thinking of Mike Dyason
> >> ( Ozzo ) who has some at only £1.99 but are they any good.Mind you at that price I could get
> >> about seven for the price of the Park.
> >
> >I
> I wonder if there's a faulty batch around with the tread not hardened correctly. I purchased the
> above model the thread stripped the first time I used it. LBS changed it and the replacement has
> been no bother
>

I use a CT5 in a bike maintenance course, and after 180 odd morons/ students it is still doing fine.

--
Marten

Status
Not open for further replies.