Chain Tools

question man

Guest
All -

What do people recommend for chain tools?

Currently, I'm using an old Cyclo brand chain tool, and either I'm
getting weaker in my old age, or chain pins are getting harder to push
out.

The chains I most frequently work on are Shimanos (I'm not sure of the
specific type -- mostly they're 8 speed, I guess)

For those of you who use some sort of 'master link' to split chains,
what do you use to shorten such a chain? Also, what do you use to
unlink a master link when you need to service the chain?

Thanks!

Phil

I think you are correct that the pin in modern chains is a little
harder to remove than some of the older/cheaper chains.

My favorite chain breaker is the Park.

Hope this helps.

Lewis.

*****************8

"question man" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> All -
>
> What do people recommend for chain tools?
>
> Currently, I'm using an old Cyclo brand chain tool, and either I'm
> getting weaker in my old age, or chain pins are getting harder to push
> out.
>
> The chains I most frequently work on are Shimanos (I'm not sure of the
> specific type -- mostly they're 8 speed, I guess)
>
> For those of you who use some sort of 'master link' to split chains,
> what do you use to shorten such a chain? Also, what do you use to
> unlink a master link when you need to service the chain?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Phil

http://www.parktool.com/tool_indexes/catindex_chain.shtml

You shorten any chain by removing links, making sure one end has side plates
and one end has the roller. If your using a master link, both ends have the
rollers, and the master link becomes the side plates. It's removed by
squeezing those side plates together, and also moving the adjacent links
together, at the same time. It's easier with a clean, oiled chain, and it's
easier to do than explain ;-)

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
The rest, I've just wasted.

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 17:10:25 GMT, question man <[email protected]>
wrote:

>For those of you who use some sort of 'master link' to split chains,
>what do you use to shorten such a chain?

Either a cheap Ciclo or a mid-level Park. Either one is fine. I only
use it once on any given chain -- to adjust the length when new.

>Also, what do you use to
>unlink a master link when you need to service the chain?

My hands.

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

question man wrote:
> All -
>
> What do people recommend for chain tools?
>
> Currently, I'm using an old Cyclo brand chain tool, and either I'm
> getting weaker in my old age, or chain pins are getting harder to push
> out.

It's the chain pins. I had the Cyclo and a small CT-5 Park tool, both
of which work fine on SRAM chains.

> The chains I most frequently work on are Shimanos (I'm not sure of the
> specific type -- mostly they're 8 speed, I guess)

I had to break my first Shimano chain earlier this summer. It was a
*****. I got the big CT-3 ($25) Park tool in case I ever have to do
that again. Weighs a ton, but has 3 times the leverage.

> For those of you who use some sort of 'master link' to split chains,
> what do you use to shorten such a chain?

Chain tool that will break the chain and not my hand...

> Also, what do you use to
> unlink a master link when you need to service the chain?

8" pliers.

Pat

says...
>All -
>What do people recommend for chain tools?
>Currently, I'm using an old Cyclo brand chain tool, and either I'm
>getting weaker in my old age, or chain pins are getting harder to push
>out.

Both. :) Most new chains have pins that are peened.

>The chains I most frequently work on are Shimanos (I'm not sure of the
>specific type -- mostly they're 8 speed, I guess)
>For those of you who use some sort of 'master link' to split chains,
>what do you use to shorten such a chain? Also, what do you use to
>unlink a master link when you need to service the chain?

I use my cyclo rivoli (sp?) tool. Never a problem. I use the SRAM links and
all I need to do is clean the link and then with my hands squeeze it together.
Alex