Chain Tools

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by question man, Aug 21, 2005.

  1. question man

    question man Guest

    All -

    What do people recommend for chain tools?

    Currently, I'm using an old Cyclo brand chain tool, and either I'm
    getting weaker in my old age, or chain pins are getting harder to push
    out.

    The chains I most frequently work on are Shimanos (I'm not sure of the
    specific type -- mostly they're 8 speed, I guess)

    For those of you who use some sort of 'master link' to split chains,
    what do you use to shorten such a chain? Also, what do you use to
    unlink a master link when you need to service the chain?

    Thanks!

    Phil

    Tags:

  2. I think you are correct that the pin in modern chains is a little
    harder to remove than some of the older/cheaper chains.

    My favorite chain breaker is the Park.

    Hope this helps.

    Lewis.

    *****************8

  3. "question man" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > All -
    >
    > What do people recommend for chain tools?
    >
    > Currently, I'm using an old Cyclo brand chain tool, and either I'm
    > getting weaker in my old age, or chain pins are getting harder to push
    > out.
    >
    > The chains I most frequently work on are Shimanos (I'm not sure of the
    > specific type -- mostly they're 8 speed, I guess)
    >
    > For those of you who use some sort of 'master link' to split chains,
    > what do you use to shorten such a chain? Also, what do you use to
    > unlink a master link when you need to service the chain?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Phil

    http://www.parktool.com/tool_indexes/catindex_chain.shtml

    You shorten any chain by removing links, making sure one end has side plates
    and one end has the roller. If your using a master link, both ends have the
    rollers, and the master link becomes the side plates. It's removed by
    squeezing those side plates together, and also moving the adjacent links
    together, at the same time. It's easier with a clean, oiled chain, and it's
    easier to do than explain ;-)

    --
    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

    I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
    The rest, I've just wasted.

  4. On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 17:10:25 GMT, question man <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >For those of you who use some sort of 'master link' to split chains,
    >what do you use to shorten such a chain?

    Either a cheap Ciclo or a mid-level Park. Either one is fine. I only
    use it once on any given chain -- to adjust the length when new.

    >Also, what do you use to
    >unlink a master link when you need to service the chain?

    My hands.

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  5. On 2005-08-21, question man <[email protected]> wrote:
    > All -
    >
    > What do people recommend for chain tools?

    I use a Gian Robert chain pliers, but I don't think they're made anymore.
    :-(

    --

    John ([email protected])

  6. Pat Lamb

    Pat Lamb Guest

    question man wrote:
    > All -
    >
    > What do people recommend for chain tools?
    >
    > Currently, I'm using an old Cyclo brand chain tool, and either I'm
    > getting weaker in my old age, or chain pins are getting harder to push
    > out.

    It's the chain pins. I had the Cyclo and a small CT-5 Park tool, both
    of which work fine on SRAM chains.

    > The chains I most frequently work on are Shimanos (I'm not sure of the
    > specific type -- mostly they're 8 speed, I guess)

    I had to break my first Shimano chain earlier this summer. It was a
    bitch. I got the big CT-3 ($25) Park tool in case I ever have to do
    that again. Weighs a ton, but has 3 times the leverage.

    > For those of you who use some sort of 'master link' to split chains,
    > what do you use to shorten such a chain?

    Chain tool that will break the chain and not my hand...

    > Also, what do you use to
    > unlink a master link when you need to service the chain?

    8" pliers.

    Pat

  7. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    says...
    >All -
    >What do people recommend for chain tools?
    >Currently, I'm using an old Cyclo brand chain tool, and either I'm
    >getting weaker in my old age, or chain pins are getting harder to push
    >out.

    Both. :) Most new chains have pins that are peened.

    >The chains I most frequently work on are Shimanos (I'm not sure of the
    >specific type -- mostly they're 8 speed, I guess)
    >For those of you who use some sort of 'master link' to split chains,
    >what do you use to shorten such a chain? Also, what do you use to
    >unlink a master link when you need to service the chain?

    I use my cyclo rivoli (sp?) tool. Never a problem. I use the SRAM links and
    all I need to do is clean the link and then with my hands squeeze it together.
    Alex