Chain trouble

Bob

Guest
On my ride into work today the chain slipped a few times and
had some trouble changing gears.

Closer inspection shows that the roller on one of the links
has split and looks like it's about to fall off. The chain
is a Shimano HG50 narrow, can I get away with replacing
that link?

LBS 1 Ac**on B**es says no trouble but they don't have any
narrow chains in stock. LBS 2 Ev**s say, oh, no, the chain
is on it's way out, only a matter of time before another one
goes...new chain and new cassette.

I don't really want to spend too much on it as I'm planning
to trade it in shortly.

Any advice great appreciated.

BTW, someone a few months ago posted a link which showed a
very short escalator up and down to an American gym. Was
passing the new fitness chain in Edgware the other day and
noticed that they have a lift to get the fitness freaks to
the 1st floor!

Bob.

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 18:37:23 +0000 (UTC), "Bob"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
<[email protected]>:

>Closer inspection shows that the roller on one of the links
>has split and looks like it's about to fall off. The chain
>is a Shimano HG50 narrow, can I get away with replacing
>that link? LBS 1 Ac**on B**es says no trouble but they
>don't have any narrow chains in stock. LBS 2 Ev**s say, oh,
>no, the chain is on it's way out, only a matter of time
>before another one goes...new chain and new cassette.

I would buy the new chain, use a couple of links off the end
to replace the dodgy one, then when the next link fails
you've already got the chain in the spares box.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Bob wrote:
> On my ride into work today the chain slipped a few times
> and had some trouble changing gears.
>
> Closer inspection shows that the roller on one of the
> links has split and looks like it's about to fall off. The
> chain is a Shimano HG50 narrow, can I get away with
> replacing that link?

Probably, but with a bit of luck, your chain is a little
longer than it needs to be*. If so, I suggest removing the
dodgy bit and rejoining with an SRAM 8-speed Powerlink (£1).
Job will be much easier; result more reliable & convenient.

* Select largest chairing with largest sprocket and judge
whether rear derailleur is at full stretch or not. See
<url:www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQchainlength.shtml>

~PB