Chain / trouser protection?

Jose

Guest
Hi All,

I'd like to be able to ride my bike without having to worry about my
trousers getting from contact with the chain.

I've seen several chain (plastic) protections, on new bikes, which
cover the chainring area and go back to very close to the rear
deraileur.
Trouble is, I can't seem to find anyone that is either interested in
or capable of, selling me one of those for mounting the I already have
:-(

Anyone knows where I can get one of these (preferably mail order)??

Alternativelly, has anyone found a way to keep both your trousers
clean and your chain lubed, without using the kind of protection above
mentioned?

I know I could try fastening the trouser tight to the leg, but I'd
prefer something else, as I think that would only decrease the
likelyhood of staining my trousers, and I'd prefer not having to worry
about performing yet that extra step before being able to ride.

TIA,
Jose

On Nov 1, 4:12 pm, [email protected] (Jose) wrote:
<snip>
> I've seen several chain (plastic) protections, on new bikes, which
> cover the chainring area and go back to very close to the rear
> deraileur.
> Trouble is, I can't seem to find anyone that is either interested in
> or capable of, selling me one of those for mounting the I already have
> :-(
>
> Anyone knows where I can get one of these (preferably mail order)??

<snip>
> TIA,
> Jose

One available here:

http://www.roseversand.de/output/controller.aspx?cid=156&detail=10&detail2=7181

desicribed as suitable for a triple chainring.

I've purchased stuff mail order from these guys before - good service
so far.

hth,

bookieb.

Jose wrote:

> I know I could try fastening the trouser tight to the leg, but I'd
> prefer something else, as I think that would only decrease the
> likelyhood of staining my trousers, and I'd prefer not having to worry
> about performing yet that extra step before being able to ride.

I use velcro'd straps around both ankles, and it works well. They are
reflective, which is also good. Keeping the pants away not just from
the chain, but also (on the left side) keeping the pants from catching
on the frame and/or wheel. I think they do more than a chainguard
would, without the additional hassles involved in keeping the chainguard
from rubbing or rattling, and getting it out of the way when changing a
tire.

--

David L. Johnson

It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster.
--Greg LeMond

On Nov 1, 12:12 pm, [email protected] (Jose) wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'd like to be able to ride my bike without having to worry about my
> trousers getting from contact with the chain.
>
> I've seen several chain (plastic) protections, on new bikes, which
> cover the chainring area and go back to very close to the rear
> deraileur.
> Trouble is, I can't seem to find anyone that is either interested in
> or capable of, selling me one of those for mounting the I already have
> :-(
>
> Anyone knows where I can get one of these (preferably mail order)??
>
> Alternativelly, has anyone found a way to keep both your trousers
> clean and your chain lubed, without using the kind of protection above
> mentioned?
>
> I know I could try fastening the trouser tight to the leg, but I'd
> prefer something else, as I think that would only decrease the
> likelyhood of staining my trousers, and I'd prefer not having to worry
> about performing yet that extra step before being able to ride.
>
> TIA,
> Jose

Aha! You must be inquiring about my ingenious invention called Le
Sock.

Instructions:

1. Put Le Sock on your foot.
2. Pull pants over your legs.
3. On drive side leg, roll the specially formulated ElastoCycleCuff of
Le Sock down to your ankle.
4. Fold the bottom of your pant leg into a pleat, tight around the
ankle.
5. Pull ElastoCycleCuff over pant leg.
6. Repeat on non-drive side leg.
7. Presto!

Best of all, my distributor has Le Sock in just about any location you
can think of, and in as many different styles as you can imagine.
Email me a check for $20 and I'll tell you where you can find a pair.

/s

Per Jose:
>Trouble is, I can't seem to find anyone that is either interested in
>or capable of, selling me one of those for mounting the I already have
>:-(
>
>Anyone knows where I can get one of these (preferably mail order)??
>
>Alternativelly, has anyone found a way to keep both your trousers
>clean and your chain lubed, without using the kind of protection above
>mentioned?

11" black socks: tuck the pants into the sock.

Chain guards are probably a good thing, but my experience is that
an open cuff finds other ways to get dirty. Also, every so
often, it catches on the crank arm.
--
PeteCresswell

Jose wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'd like to be able to ride my bike without having to worry about my
> trousers getting from contact with the chain.
>
> I've seen several chain (plastic) protections, on new bikes, which
> cover the chainring area and go back to very close to the rear
> deraileur.
> Trouble is, I can't seem to find anyone that is either interested in
> or capable of, selling me one of those for mounting the I already have
> :-(
>
> Anyone knows where I can get one of these (preferably mail order)??
>
> Alternativelly, has anyone found a way to keep both your trousers
> clean and your chain lubed, without using the kind of protection above
> mentioned?
>
> I know I could try fastening the trouser tight to the leg, but I'd
> prefer something else, as I think that would only decrease the
> likelyhood of staining my trousers, and I'd prefer not having to worry
> about performing yet that extra step before being able to ride.

Chain guards can be difficult to fit well, and they interfere with
maintenance.

They're of limited use anyway. Unfastened trouser bottoms get dirty even
when the bike has a full chain guard - because the outside of the guard and
cranks quickly get dirty from road dust and muck.

Using clips or tucking trousers into socks might look silly but is not
really much trouble. Plus your ankles will be warmer and more aerodynamic
:)

~PB

On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 16:12:33 +0000, Jose wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'd like to be able to ride my bike without having to worry about my
> trousers getting from contact with the chain.
>
> I've seen several chain (plastic) protections, on new bikes, which cover
> the chainring area and go back to very close to the rear deraileur.
> Trouble is, I can't seem to find anyone that is either interested in or
> capable of, selling me one of those for mounting the I already have :-(
>
> Anyone knows where I can get one of these (preferably mail order)??
>
> Alternativelly, has anyone found a way to keep both your trousers clean
> and your chain lubed, without using the kind of protection above
> mentioned?
>
> I know I could try fastening the trouser tight to the leg, but I'd
> prefer something else, as I think that would only decrease the
> likelyhood of staining my trousers, and I'd prefer not having to worry
> about performing yet that extra step before being able to ride.

Jose,

Good question about chainguards. I don't understand why no one is selling
them, especially with new bikes made for commuting. There are dozens of
bikes with internal gear hubs now, the whole point being that they can be
used with chainguards -- yet they have no chainguards.

I've never seen an add-on chainguard for sale in the US.

Personally I use a safety pin to cinch down my trouser cuff, or a "slap
bracelet" reflective ankle band that VDOT gives out for free. I still
have the occasional mishap though.

One of the best things about living in a college town is that no one cares
what a dork you look like, with things wrapped around your ankle.

Matt O.

> I know I could try fastening the trouser tight to the leg, but I'd
> prefer something else, as I think that would only decrease the
> likelyhood of staining my trousers, and I'd prefer not having to worry
> about performing yet that extra step before being able to ride.

Despite the sarcastic nature of the replies (what did you expect) the advice to fasten
trousers is sound. If not, the bottom hem is rubbed against /something/ every revolution
and frays.

The second thing is /never/ to _oil_ the chain as this serves to pick up dirt as well of
course spoil your apparel. Wax seems to work. There's no such thing as a clean chain but
an _oily_ one will be filthy.

Finally, your cycling gear is a badge that lets everyone know you are a care-naught, sleek
street streaker and bit of mean muscle.

--
Peter Fox
Beer, dancing, cycling and lots more at www.eminent.demon.co.uk

"Jose" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Alternativelly, has anyone found a way to keep both your trousers
> clean and your chain lubed, without using the kind of protection above
> mentioned?

Long socks, or rolling the trousers up, works for me. Since my collection of
the former has shrunk, I do the latter a lot more these days - but then I'm
not terribly fashion conscious.

cheers,
clive

Peter Fox wrote:
>> I know I could try fastening the trouser tight to the leg, but I'd
>> prefer something else, as I think that would only decrease the
>> likelyhood of staining my trousers, and I'd prefer not having to worry
>> about performing yet that extra step before being able to ride.

> Despite the sarcastic nature of the replies (what did you expect) the
> advice to fasten trousers is sound. If not, the bottom hem is rubbed
> against /something/ every revolution and frays.
>
> The second thing is /never/ to _oil_ the chain as this serves to pick up
> dirt as well of course spoil your apparel. Wax seems to work. There's
> no such thing as a clean chain but an _oily_ one will be filthy.

Yep this works - bicycle clips and wax on the chain.

However wax is a **** lubricant so it is also a good idea to replace
chains regularly.

But with 8 speed chains at £4.00 (with powerlinks) it is so cheap and
easy to replace a chain you may want to forget lubricating altogether
and just change your chain every couple of months.

On Nov 1, 11:12 am, [email protected] (Jose) wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'd like to be able to ride my bike without having to worry about my
> trousers getting from contact with the chain.
>
> I've seen several chain (plastic) protections, on new bikes, which
> cover the chainring area and go back to very close to the rear
> deraileur.
> Trouble is, I can't seem to find anyone that is either interested in
> or capable of, selling me one of those for mounting the I already have
> :-(
>
> Anyone knows where I can get one of these (preferably mail order)??
>
> Alternativelly, has anyone found a way to keep both your trousers
> clean and your chain lubed, without using the kind of protection above
> mentioned?
>
> I know I could try fastening the trouser tight to the leg, but I'd
> prefer something else, as I think that would only decrease the
> likelyhood of staining my trousers, and I'd prefer not having to worry
> about performing yet that extra step before being able to ride.
>
> TIA,
> Jose

I use a rubber band on each cuff. The post office delivers mail to my
employer using them to bundle, just the right size, 1/4 inch wide.

On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 12:55:46 -0400, Matt O'Toole
<[email protected]> wrote:

>One of the best things about living in a college town is that no one cares
>what a dork you look like, with things wrapped around your ankle.
>
>Matt O.

Ah... we've been meaning to talk to you about that...

On Nov 1, 9:49 am, "(PeteCresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Per Jose:
>
> >Trouble is, I can't seem to find anyone that is either interested in
> >or capable of, selling me one of those for mounting the I already have
> >:-(

> >Anyone knows where I can get one of these (preferably mail order)??

> >Alternativelly, has anyone found a way to keep both your trousers
> >clean and your chain lubed, without using the kind of protection above
> >mentioned?

> 11" black socks: tuck the pants into the sock.

It has to be black ?!?

I tend to go for the trousers tucked into socks arrangement. However,
I have another problem that hasn't been mentioned... .I always manage
to get not only my entire legs but my rear end covered in mud and
other unmentionables when cycling on muddy tracks.... don't really
want mudguards..... probably need teflon coated trousers!
Em

"mountaingirl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I tend to go for the trousers tucked into socks arrangement. However,
> I have another problem that hasn't been mentioned... .I always manage
> to get not only my entire legs but my rear end covered in mud and
> other unmentionables when cycling on muddy tracks.... don't really
> want mudguards..... probably need teflon coated trousers!
> Em

Isn't the whole point off off-road cycling to get as mucky as possible?

[email protected] wrote:
> On Nov 1, 9:49 am, "(PeteCresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Per Jose:
>>
>>> Trouble is, I can't seem to find anyone that is either interested in
>>> or capable of, selling me one of those for mounting the I already have
>>> :-(
>>> Anyone knows where I can get one of these (preferably mail order)??
>>> Alternativelly, has anyone found a way to keep both your trousers
>>> clean and your chain lubed, without using the kind of protection above
>>> mentioned?

>> 11" black socks: tuck the pants into the sock.

> It has to be black ?!?

Of course, so that it doesn't show the chain stain !

On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 16:54:01 -0000, "Pete Biggs"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>They're of limited use anyway. Unfastened trouser bottoms get dirty even
>when the bike has a full chain guard - because the outside of the guard and
>cranks quickly get dirty from road dust and muck.

I still think that an oily chain is far, far worse - besides, I still
haven't foiund a way to wash out a chain oil mark from trousers -
short of using a pair of scisors, that is ;-P

>Using clips or tucking trousers into socks might look silly but is not
>really much trouble. Plus your ankles will be warmer and more aerodynamic

I've tried that before. Trouble is that clips or the velcro fasteners
would only last 1 ride - after that I could never remember where I had
stored them :-(

Regards,
Jose

On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 17:42:44 +0000, Peter Fox
<[email protected]> wrote:

>trousers is sound. If not, the bottom hem is rubbed against /something/ every revolution
>and frays.

Well, I prefer frayed rather than chain oil tatued ;-)

>The second thing is /never/ to _oil_ the chain as this serves to pick up dirt as well of
>course spoil your apparel. Wax seems to work. There's no such thing as a clean chain but
>an _oily_ one will be filthy.

I still think that oil is a better lubrication solution than
wax/grease, but when trouser staining comes into the equation, you
might be right, and I might choose to replace my chains more often,
and replace my trousers not so often .

Thanks,
Jose

On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 17:46:03 -0000, "Clive George"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Long socks, or rolling the trousers up, works for me. Since my collection of

Hey, rolling the trousers up seems like a good idea to me - efective,
and kinda sexy too! ;-))

How couldn't I think of that before?!

Thanks!
Jose