Chain / trouser protection?

Per [email protected]:
>It has to be black ?!?

Actually mine are white.

But they do get greasy.

Also, wearing white sox to work may get one accused of
impersonating an engineer.
--
PeteCresswell

Jose wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 16:54:01 -0000, "Pete Biggs"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> They're of limited use anyway. Unfastened trouser bottoms get dirty
>> even when the bike has a full chain guard - because the outside of
>> the guard and cranks quickly get dirty from road dust and muck.

> I still think that an oily chain is far, far worse - besides, I still
> haven't foiund a way to wash out a chain oil mark from trousers -
> short of using a pair of scisors, that is ;-P

Of course oil is far worse, but you don't get any dirt at all from the bike
on your trousers if they are fastened or tucked in.

Personally, even if I didn't mind the dirt, I wouldn't like the
flapping-around feeling and worry about the trousers getting caught in
/something/ - on the left as well as right side.

But if you don't care, good luck with your chainguard! Let us know how well
it fits your bike and chainset.

~PB

On Nov 1, 9:29?pm, [email protected] (Jose) wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 17:46:03 -0000, "Clive George"
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Long socks, or rolling the trousers up, works for me. Since my collection of

> Hey, rolling the trousers up seems like a good idea to me - efective,
> and kinda sexy too! ;-))
>
> How couldn't I think of that before?!

Whatever floats your boat.
Cheers
Em

[email protected] wrote:
> It has to be black ?!?

White shows chain
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Nov 1, 11:12 am, [email protected] (Jose) wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'd like to be able to ride my bike without having to worry about my
>> trousers getting from contact with the chain.
>>
>> I've seen several chain (plastic) protections, on new bikes, which
>> cover the chainring area and go back to very close to the rear
>> deraileur.
>> Trouble is, I can't seem to find anyone that is either interested in
>> or capable of, selling me one of those for mounting the I already have
>> :-(
>>
>> Anyone knows where I can get one of these (preferably mail order)??
>>
>> Alternativelly, has anyone found a way to keep both your trousers
>> clean and your chain lubed, without using the kind of protection above
>> mentioned?
>>
>> I know I could try fastening the trouser tight to the leg, but I'd
>> prefer something else, as I think that would only decrease the
>> likelyhood of staining my trousers, and I'd prefer not having to worry
>> about performing yet that extra step before being able to ride.
>>
>> TIA,
>> Jose

> I use a rubber band on each cuff. The post office delivers mail to my
> employer using them to bundle, just the right size, 1/4 inch wide.

PS:

I guess my rubber bands do not merit style points, but I think I am in the
running for the lowest weight solution, and lowest $.

- Frugal Jay the Minimalist

In article <[email protected]>,
Matt O'Toole <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 16:12:33 +0000, Jose wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'd like to be able to ride my bike without having to worry about
> > my trousers getting from contact with the chain.
> >
> > I've seen several chain (plastic) protections, on new bikes, which
> > cover the chainring area and go back to very close to the rear
> > deraileur. Trouble is, I can't seem to find anyone that is either
> > interested in or capable of, selling me one of those for mounting
> > the I already have :-(
> >
> > Anyone knows where I can get one of these (preferably mail order)??
> >
> > Alternativelly, has anyone found a way to keep both your trousers
> > clean and your chain lubed, without using the kind of protection
> > above mentioned?
> >
> > I know I could try fastening the trouser tight to the leg, but I'd
> > prefer something else, as I think that would only decrease the
> > likelyhood of staining my trousers, and I'd prefer not having to
> > worry about performing yet that extra step before being able to
> > ride.

> Jose,
>
> Good question about chainguards. I don't understand why no one is
> selling them, especially with new bikes made for commuting. There
> are dozens of bikes with internal gear hubs now, the whole point
> being that they can be used with chainguards -- yet they have no
> chainguards.

I have seen several bikes at the LBS with a chain guard- Breezers and
ANTs, to be specific (but the latter is a semi-custom builder).

> I've never seen an add-on chainguard for sale in the US.

You are buy several different ones through Quality, etc. But chaincases
are harder to find especially in the US. Part of the problem, of
course, is that accommodating derailleurs and multiple chainrings and
multi-cog cassette is very difficult in designing a chain guard or a
chain case.

For hub gears/single speeds, the Hebie Chainglider has received good
reviews. If I was going to go for a covered-chain system, I'd use this
one on my three speed "club" bike:

http://www.hebie.de/html/en/detail_schuetze.php?id=0350

> Personally I use a safety pin to cinch down my trouser cuff, or a
> "slap bracelet" reflective ankle band that VDOT gives out for free.
> I still have the occasional mishap though.

Nothing is perfect.

> One of the best things about living in a college town is that no one
> cares what a dork you look like, with things wrapped around your
> ankle.

LOL!

Jay wrote:
> PS:
>
> I guess my rubber bands do not merit style points, but I think I am in the
> running for the lowest weight solution, and lowest $.

If you take the trousers off you'd be into negative weight ...

-dan

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jay wrote:
>> PS:
>>
>> I guess my rubber bands do not merit style points, but I think I am in
>> the running for the lowest weight solution, and lowest $.

> If you take the trousers off you'd be into negative weight ...
>

> -dan

Great suggestion for July, but it is November, and I am in Chicago.

J.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Jose) wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'd like to be able to ride my bike without having to worry about my
> trousers getting from contact with the chain.
>
> I've seen several chain (plastic) protections, on new bikes, which
> cover the chainring area and go back to very close to the rear
> deraileur.
> Trouble is, I can't seem to find anyone that is either interested in
> or capable of, selling me one of those for mounting the I already have
> :-(
>
> Anyone knows where I can get one of these (preferably mail order)??
>
> Alternativelly, has anyone found a way to keep both your trousers
> clean and your chain lubed, without using the kind of protection above
> mentioned?
>
> I know I could try fastening the trouser tight to the leg, but I'd
> prefer something else, as I think that would only decrease the
> likelyhood of staining my trousers, and I'd prefer not having to worry
> about performing yet that extra step before being able to ride.

Trouser clips are tradition among discerning bicyclists.
No one will look askance. Wear them proudly.

--
Michael Press

"Scott Gordo" wrote: (clip) Email me a check for $20 and I'll tell you
where you can find a pair.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Your check is in the e-mail.

On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 20:15:24 +0000, doug.landau wrote:
>> 11" black socks: tuck the pants into the sock.

> It has to be black ?!?

Elsewhere, the OP says he's in Chicago -- so Black Sox are probably a
really bad idea...

What I use... is the smallest dog collar I could find. Actually more
like a cat collar, can't recall ever seeing a dog small enough for it to
fit. Easy to remove without having to worry how one's going to get it
past your shoe.

While I've had the same chain-gunk-on-pants issue, I've had a much bigger
issue with the cuffs getting ripped by the gear.

wafflycat <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote:

> "mountaingirl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >I tend to go for the trousers tucked into socks arrangement. However,
> > I have another problem that hasn't been mentioned... .I always manage
> > to get not only my entire legs but my rear end covered in mud and
> > other unmentionables when cycling on muddy tracks.... don't really
> > want mudguards..... probably need teflon coated trousers!
> > Em
> >

> Isn't the whole point off off-road cycling to get as mucky as possible?

may not be the orginal aim but does tend to look like that at the end!
Mud tires are good for that, get you and any one else in range.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 00:20:09 GMT, Michael Press <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Trouser clips are tradition among discerning bicyclists.
>No one will look askance. Wear them proudly.

My elders and betters tell tales of when they were children, the village
policemen rode bicycles. Their bicycle clips were more like over-sized
paper clips or money clips, worn vertically, and simply held together
the fold in their trousers.

The great advantage of this design is that the ankles weren't pinched,
and it also preserved that smartly-dressed appearance, even off the
bike.

Are they still available for sale, I wonder?

If wax is a " **** lubricant" ( not admitted) then why use it?

On Nov 2, 5:14 am, Doug Smith W9WI <[email protected]> wrote:

> What I use... is the smallest dog collar I could find. Actually more
> like a cat collar, can't recall ever seeing a dog small enough for it to
> fit. Easy to remove without having to worry how one's going to get it
> past your shoe.

Back in the previous century we used to use toe straps. These give you
more of a hardened cyclist look than using tiny dog collars. You could
always use a cat collar which, in addition to keeping your trouser
legs out of the chain, would keep your legs clear of fleas and warn
pedestrians of your approach with the little tinkling bell.

--
Dave...

In news:[email protected],
dkahn400 <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:
> On Nov 2, 5:14 am, Doug Smith W9WI <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> What I use... is the smallest dog collar I could find. Actually
>> more like a cat collar, can't recall ever seeing a dog small enough
>> for it to fit. Easy to remove without having to worry how one's
>> going to get it past your shoe.

> Back in the previous century we used to use toe straps. These give you
> more of a hardened cyclist look than using tiny dog collars.

Even in this century. I doned this on the way to the "bike check" at PBP.

Come to think of it, that was probably on Dave's advice :)

--
Dave Larrington
And then there was light and He thought it was good, so He threw

marc wrote:
> Nick wrote:
>>> Despite the sarcastic nature of the replies (what did you expect) the
>>> advice to fasten trousers is sound. If not, the bottom hem is rubbed
>>> against /something/ every revolution and frays.
>>>
>>> The second thing is /never/ to _oil_ the chain as this serves to pick
>>> up dirt as well of course spoil your apparel. Wax seems to work.
>>> There's no such thing as a clean chain but an _oily_ one will be filthy.
>>>

>> Yep this works - bicycle clips and wax on the chain.
>>
>> However wax is a **** lubricant so it is also a good idea to replace
>> chains regularly.
>>

> If wax is a " **** lubricant" ( not admitted) then why use it?

Because it doesn't attract the dirt like oil does.

Scott Gordo wrote:

> On Nov 1, 12:12 pm, [email protected] (Jose) wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'd like to be able to ride my bike without having to worry about my
> > trousers getting from contact with the chain.
> >
> > I've seen several chain (plastic) protections, on new bikes, which
> > cover the chainring area and go back to very close to the rear
> > deraileur.
> > Trouble is, I can't seem to find anyone that is either interested in
> > or capable of, selling me one of those for mounting the I already have
> > :-(
> >
> > Anyone knows where I can get one of these (preferably mail order)??
> >
> > Alternativelly, has anyone found a way to keep both your trousers
> > clean and your chain lubed, without using the kind of protection above
> > mentioned?
> >
> > I know I could try fastening the trouser tight to the leg, but I'd
> > prefer something else, as I think that would only decrease the
> > likelyhood of staining my trousers, and I'd prefer not having to worry
> > about performing yet that extra step before being able to ride.
> >
> > TIA,
> > Jose

> Aha! You must be inquiring about my ingenious invention called Le
> Sock.
>
> Instructions:
>
> 1. Put Le Sock on your foot.
> 2. Pull pants over your legs.
> 3. On drive side leg, roll the specially formulated ElastoCycleCuff of
> Le Sock down to your ankle.
> 4. Fold the bottom of your pant leg into a pleat, tight around the
> ankle.
> 5. Pull ElastoCycleCuff over pant leg.
> 6. Repeat on non-drive side leg.
> 7. Presto!
>
> Best of all, my distributor has Le Sock in just about any location you
> can think of, and in as many different styles as you can imagine.
> Email me a check for $20 and I'll tell you where you can find a pair.
>
> /s

Ah Le Sock the cheap imitation of the iSock - only available in white
from Banana, Although third parties have started producing the iSock
sock a knitted material protective covering for your iSock available in
a variety of colours.

Sorry its Friday :)

Allan