chain un-stretch?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Larry English, Aug 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i have been measuring chain stretch on my shimano chain. 8 speed sora components. i think it;s an
    "hg" style chain.

i replaced it at 3000 miles. so these measurements start at 3000 miles.

at 3600 miles, i logged 0.8/16" stretch at 4000 miles, 1.0/16" at 4300 miles, 0.1/16" at
    4555, 0.1/16"

you might think there has been a change in measurement procedure. yes, but if anything, it should
    measure more lengthening in the later measurements. i now put the chain under a lot of tension when
    measuring this.

i am pretty sure the measurements are right, but what are they measuring?

i do try to keep it pretty clean.

i use the absolute thinnest lubricants, silicone spray and powdered ptfe.

i do ride a lot, probably 100-150 miles a week on that bike.

could it be that dirt or rust or something has built up on the rollers, taking up the slack for what
    must still surely be 1/16 worth of wear?

should i just not worry until i can measure 1/16 again?

should i just say, ok, well that chain has gone 1500 miles, time to replace it, if it;s gone that
    long and is measuring all screwy like that?

wle.

Tags:

2. James Annan

James Annan Guest

larry english wrote:

>
    > could it be that dirt or rust or something has built up on the rollers, taking up the slack for
    > what must still surely be 1/16 worth of wear?

That's certainly possible in theory, there is a comprehensive web page on the subject of chain suck
    which aruges convincingly (to me) that dirt-induced chain 'shrink' can be a major factor in this
    phenomenon (typically when a new chain is used on slightly worn chainrings, a mistake I have made in
    the past). This is however more likely with muddy MTB conditions, I couldn't say how likely it is to
    be the case in your situation.

James

3. James Annan <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > larry english wrote:
    >
    > >
    > > could it be that dirt or rust or something has built up on the rollers, taking up the slack for
    > > what must still surely be 1/16 worth of wear?
    >
    > That's certainly possible in theory, there is a comprehensive web page on the subject of chain
    > suck which aruges convincingly (to me) that dirt-induced chain 'shrink' can be a major factor in
    > this phenomenon (typically when a new chain is used on slightly worn chainrings, a mistake I have
    > made in the past). This is however more likely with muddy MTB conditions, I couldn't say how
    > likely it is to be the case in your situation.

right, there has been zero mud, and i am not using a sticky or gunky lube.

wle.

>
    > James

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.