Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Chain waxing + graphite question

Started by HarryB · · Last activity · 437 posts · 17,780 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
7 February 2006
Last activity
16 March 2006
Original author
HarryB
Posts
437
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
17,780
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 61–80 of 437
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Quoted message said:
    Steven Scharf said:
    Quoted message said:

    > It really isn't that big of a deal if one gets it down to a
    > ritual: Remove chain from bike and drop in cleaner (Simple Green.)
    > Remove from cleaner, rinse in hot water and put into deep fryer.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Be careful using simple green to clean your chain...

    http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/9216.0.html

    Quoted message said:

    Good article. As one of the writers wrote, "Since the main
    ingredient is water, I would not recommend soaking a chain in it."
    Frankly I am amazed that people would actually use water to clean a
    chain, it's a very bad idea. You can dry the outside, but water
    remains inside, in the worst possible area. You want to use a
    non-water based solvent such as kerosene.

    I suppose in that vein, you never ride when roads are wet. Chains run
    well in water, the only problem is that when the road dries, so does
    the chain and then it squeaks for lack of a lubricant. There are many
    ways of drying a chain and the rusting rate is slow enough that it is
    immaterial to its well being. Your admonition falls close to the
    questions on how to keep chains from rusting on the bicycle, a non
    problem for people who ride rather than park the bicycle outdoors.

    Well I walk when it rains too, but I don't intentionally submerge my
    shoes into a bucket of water.

    I really agree with what Jobst Brandt wrote, advising to clean the chain
    in kerosene or a commercial solvent, to use a motorcycle chain lube for
    lubrication, and to avoid wax. Not sure what he meant by "commercial
    solvent" but I assume it's a non-water based solvent.

    I find cleaning the chain on the bike is more effective, though it takes
    several solvent changes before the solvent runs clean (though the same
    is the case with soaking and agitating it). Having the links and pins in
    motion through the solvent helps to get the internal dirt out.

  2. Quoted message said:
    John Forrest Tomlinson said:
    Quoted message said:

    >> This is an old method here on wreck.bike, the extreme case being
    >> one where at the end of an instructional essay, the writer adds,
    >> "that's right isn't it?" when in fact the whole posting was a
    >> question in disguise.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Of course we also frequently get the situation where someone asks a
    > question directly and you denounce them for making a statement and
    > pretending it's a question....

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Maybe you can dig one of these up and show how that was.

    Quoted message said:

    You did it to me. I asked about something that was probably not
    true but was genuinely curious if maybe it was true, and you came
    back with comments about how it was obviously untrue, and that I was
    spreading myth, etc. And I think there was some random dig at some
    other type of person, like the little addition you made about guys
    in November or whatever.

    Quoted message said:

    I can't readily find that example, but below is another one

    I think you are confusing rude four letter words and insinuations of
    dementia with the terse responses I often give to postings that are
    like the frozen water bottle types, obvious fabrications.

    Quoted message said:

    In <[email hidden]> [email hidden] (Jobst Brandt)
    writes:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Travis Thom writes:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > I used to work with someone who used linseed oil as a spoke prep.
    > when wheelbuilding.  After eight years, the wheels he built for me
    > are still serviceable and the spokes stay put.  I want to build
    > some wheels, and would like to try the oil.  Does anyone know if I
    > should use raw or boiled linseed oil?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    That depends on whether under a full or new moon.  What exactly did
    he tell you that this 'tossing of salt over the left shoulder' did
    for the wheel and how did it do this?

    Well? Linseed oil is just so much salt over the shoulder.

    No, it's not. It doesn't work but reasonable people *know* salt over
    the shoulder is superstition. Reasonable but ignorant people (I was
    in this category) who don't understand how wheels work can think that
    linseed oil works. We (mistakenly) believe it has practical value.

    So when we ask it is works, or even say that it works, the appropriate
    response is to simply tell them it doesn't work, not to mock us by
    equating a flawed understanding with superstition.

    Your occasional posts where you simply post a link to your responses
    to FAQs at Sheldon Browns site are terse. But sometimes you go out
    of your way to make fun of people for acting a question.

    [details on why spoke prep and linseed oil are not needed snipped]

    You really don't understand what I'm talking about, so I'll try to
    explain it again. I'm not commenting at all on the use of linseed oil
    or spoke prep. I'm commenting on that fact that because someone else
    doesn't understand something as well as you, you often feel the need
    to claim they have some desire for superstition, rather than simply
    being ignorant. Those two thigns are not the same. Step back for a
    minute and think about it.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm still looking for my denunciation of someone for asking a
    reasonable question. You may be less sensitive to trolls than I am.

    You're mistaken if you think these people are all trolls. And if you
    truly think they are trolls, just don't answer.

    JT

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  3. Mike DeMicco said:

    Doesn't wax dissolve in alcohol?

    Parrafin doesn't dissolve well in ethanonl.

  4. bill said:

    I have broken too many chains to count, on a standard racing bike. It
    is annoying. It all started when Sedisport was retired and I started
    buying "Sachs" chains. So I started replacing every 5,000 miles,
    whether "worn" or not. Now I ride Dura-Ace or Crampygoslow Chorus as
    appropriate. Frankly I couldn't care less about the chain stretch. If
    it works, it works. Just as long as it isn't breaking. And the stretch
    doesn't tell you anything about fatigue life and so why bother
    measuring it?

    That's odd. I have broken a chain only once in years of cycling
    (probably where I joined it badly). I weigh 230 and use the most
    inexpensive chains I can find (Sachs/SRAM PC-48 usually). I use the same
    chains on road & MTB, chain loads are much greater with small chainrings
    (22T on MTB). Chains wear and change pitch predictably. I don't see
    fatigue as an issue.

  5. HarryB said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >>I think I grasp somewhat the reasoning behind measuring the
    >>distance between pins rather than between rollers. But, Lennard
    >>Zinn in the latest version of his book "Zinn & The Art of Road
    >>Bike Maintenance" writes: "The most reliable way to see whether
    >>the chain is worn out is to employ a chain-elongation gauge, such
    >>as the model make by Rohloff."

    Quoted message said:

    I don't recall reading that Zinn passes along myths and that I
    should be on the lookout for "axiomatic proclamations" which would get
    me into trouble if I followed them.

    Zinn is wrong, a Rohloff tool is *not* the "most reliable" way to check
    chains. That is an example of one of his "axiomatic proclamations".

    I use a 12" steel ruler and measure from the front edge of a pin to the
    front edge of a pin 12" away. A new chain should line up perfectly on
    the ruler. By the time a chain has worn enough that the ruler lines up
    on the rear edge of a pin, the chain is worn out, the diameter of a pin
    being approximately the allowable elongation over 12" (if you want to be
    conservative you could change a bit earlier).

    As for cleaning, a poster on this NG did an experiment a while back
    where he cleaned half the chain an left the other half only wiped. He
    didn't find any difference in wear. Despite all the claims about various
    rituals, no one has taken the time to repeat the experiment. I don't
    bother cleaning chains any more, myself.

    As for the "dirty chain" problem, there are many solutions (for those
    who are bothered) including off-the-shelf wax-based lubes like White
    Lightning, which pretty much solve the cosmetic problem. If you want to
    "shake & bake" or "dip & fry" chains, be my guest, but I think these
    rituals are just that.

    As for your tandem timing chain wearing out prematurely, I'd hesitate
    before accusing the seller of stiffing you with a pre-worn chain, it may
    be that the timing chain was badly adjusted (or the rings eccentrically
    mounted, etc.).

    If the Park tool works better for you with your eyesight problems, then
    it's a worthwhile tool, but for most of us it's not a good choice since
    it's $30 and not guaranteed to be more accurate (or quicker) than a
    ruler -- IOW, a solution looking for a problem.

  6. Steven Scharf said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >> It really isn't that big of a deal if one gets it down to a
    >> ritual: Remove chain from bike and drop in cleaner (Simple
    >> Green.) Remove from cleaner, rinse in hot water and put into
    >> deep fryer.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Be careful using simple green to clean your chain...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/9216.0.html

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Good article. As one of the writers wrote, "Since the main
    ingredient is water, I would not recommend soaking a chain in it."
    Frankly I am amazed that people would actually use water to clean
    a chain, it's a very bad idea. You can dry the outside, but water
    remains inside, in the worst possible area. You want to use a
    non-water based solvent such as kerosene.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I suppose in that vein, you never ride when roads are wet. Chains
    run well in water, the only problem is that when the road dries, so
    does the chain and then it squeaks for lack of a lubricant. There
    are many ways of drying a chain and the rusting rate is slow enough
    that it is immaterial to its well being. Your admonition falls
    close to the questions on how to keep chains from rusting on the
    bicycle, a non problem for people who ride rather than park the
    bicycle outdoors.

    Quoted message said:

    Well I walk when it rains too, but I don't intentionally submerge my
    shoes into a bucket of water.

    That may be, but the bicycle chain does not have that option. It eats
    road water at a great rate as water from the front wheel strikes the
    BB and splashes to the side in a steady spray. Just look at the
    downtube after a ride on a wet road and note the accumulation of sand.
    That isn't what the chain waxer and toothbrush cleaner visualizes.

    Quoted message said:

    I really agree with what Jobst Brandt wrote, advising to clean the
    chain in kerosene or a commercial solvent, to use a motorcycle chain
    lube for lubrication, and to avoid wax. Not sure what he meant by
    "commercial solvent" but I assume it's a non-water based solvent.

    Commercial solvents used in automotive parts cleaning are petroleum
    based.

    Quoted message said:

    I find cleaning the chain on the bike is more effective, though it
    takes several solvent changes before the solvent runs clean (though
    the same is the case with soaking and agitating it).

    This also washes the derailleur idler wheels of any lubricant in their
    bearings.

    Quoted message said:

    Having the links and pins in motion through the solvent helps to get
    the internal dirt out.

    I think you have the wrong picture in mind. The dirt inside the chain
    is fine granite dust and metal powder that is not caked in place. If
    you disassemble a dirty chain I think you'll see that it contains a
    fine grey/black residue that is easily washed away by immersion and
    sloshing the chain around in the wash tank. Caked on external dirt is
    the part that is hard to dislodge and that is best done by a stiff
    parts cleaning brush in a wash tank having a perforated false bottom.

    Jobst Brandt

  7. John Forrest Tomlinson said:
    Quoted message said:

    Well? Linseed oil is just so much salt over the shoulder.

    Quoted message said:

    No, it's not. It doesn't work but reasonable people *know* salt
    over the shoulder is superstition. Reasonable but ignorant people
    (I was in this category) who don't understand how wheels work can
    think that linseed oil works. We (mistakenly) believe it has
    practical value.

    Quoted message said:

    So when we ask it is works, or even say that it works, the
    appropriate response is to simply tell them it doesn't work, not to
    mock us by equating a flawed understanding with superstition.

    Quoted message said:

    Your occasional posts where you simply post a link to your responses
    to FAQs at Sheldon Browns site are terse. But sometimes you go out
    of your way to make fun of people for acting a question.

    I think you don't understand. As I said these posts are trolls that
    have all the earmarks of telling us something the writer doesn't
    understand and done in a smug manner. My response takes that issue to
    task. If you look at what the person wrote, like the one about how
    linseed oil made his wheels last a long time, there is a message there
    that doesn't merit passing on as fact and the writer knows it.

    Quoted message said:

    [details on why spoke prep and linseed oil are not needed snipped]

    Quoted message said:

    You really don't understand what I'm talking about, so I'll try to
    explain it again. I'm not commenting at all on the use of linseed oil
    or spoke prep. I'm commenting on that fact that because someone else
    doesn't understand something as well as you, you often feel the need
    to claim they have some desire for superstition, rather than simply
    being ignorant. Those two things are not the same. Step back for a
    minute and think about it.

    I think you don't see beyond the linseed oil. The tone of that post,
    as others, is that this is the solution to some specific problem when
    in fact the person writing has no evidence that it is so. Passing on
    naivete as fact is bluster at best. If you like that, it's your
    choice.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm still looking for my denunciation of someone for asking a
    reasonable question. You may be less sensitive to trolls than I am.

    Quoted message said:

    You're mistaken if you think these people are all trolls. And if you
    truly think they are trolls, just don't answer.

    Ah yes, but the misinformation that rest of the newsgroup gets is
    worth a response. That you don't see the damage these intentional and
    unintentional trolls cause, is what keeps the level of BS in bicycling
    high. Re-read the linseed oil item and consider what message it gave.

    Jobst Brandt

  8. Peter Cole said:
    HarryB said:
    Quoted message said:

    >>>I think I grasp somewhat the reasoning behind measuring the
    >>>distance between pins rather than between rollers. But, Lennard
    >>>Zinn in the latest version of his book "Zinn & The Art of Road
    >>>Bike Maintenance" writes: "The most reliable way to see whether
    >>>the chain is worn out is to employ a chain-elongation gauge, such
    >>>as the model make by Rohloff."

    Quoted message said:

    I don't recall reading that Zinn passes along myths and that I
    should be on the lookout for "axiomatic proclamations" which would get
    me into trouble if I followed them.

    Zinn is wrong, a Rohloff tool is *not* the "most reliable" way to check
    chains. That is an example of one of his "axiomatic proclamations".


    Didn't *you* just make an "axiomatic proclamation"? You offered no
    proof that he is wrong. As a newbie to many of these discussions I'm
    confused about this "axiomatic proclamation" business. One can hardly
    expect an author to justify each and every statement he makes.

    In reference to Zinn's book, Jobst Brandt wrote, "If you read the tone
    of such a book and find axiomatic proclamations
    with no reasoning for the claims, you should be wary of its claims. I
    prefer seeing stated what the method is, why it should be used and a
    test by which you can prove it to yourself."

    Well, how about this example: Zinn also writes, without any proof,
    "The distance between these rivets should be 12 inches exactly. If it
    is 12 1/8 inches or greater, replace the chain..." Isn't that also an
    "axiomatic proclamation"? He doesn't offer any proof for this
    statement. He does explain the effects of excessive wear on the
    chainrings and cogs, but doesn't explain why 12 1/8" and not, let's
    say 12 1/2", is the replacement point. Has Zinn also been taken to
    task for this "axiomatic proclamation", or is it that since most
    people seem to agree with that statement they don't apply the same
    standard as when they disagree? IOW, the "axiomatic proclamation" test
    is not applied uniformly?

    Quoted message said:


    I use a 12" steel ruler and measure from the front edge of a pin to the
    front edge of a pin 12" away. A new chain should line up perfectly on
    the ruler. By the time a chain has worn enough that the ruler lines up
    on the rear edge of a pin, the chain is worn out, the diameter of a pin
    being approximately the allowable elongation over 12" (if you want to be
    conservative you could change a bit earlier).

    As for cleaning, a poster on this NG did an experiment a while back
    where he cleaned half the chain an left the other half only wiped. He
    didn't find any difference in wear. Despite all the claims about various
    rituals, no one has taken the time to repeat the experiment. I don't
    bother cleaning chains any more, myself.

    As for the "dirty chain" problem, there are many solutions (for those
    who are bothered) including off-the-shelf wax-based lubes like White
    Lightning, which pretty much solve the cosmetic problem. If you want to
    "shake & bake" or "dip & fry" chains, be my guest, but I think these
    rituals are just that.


    I have tried other methods of lubricating and found that overall they
    are more work than the hot wax method I use to accomplish my goals.

    Quoted message said:


    As for your tandem timing chain wearing out prematurely, I'd hesitate
    before accusing the seller of stiffing you with a pre-worn chain, it may
    be that the timing chain was badly adjusted (or the rings eccentrically
    mounted, etc.).


    In retrospect there are other factors which lead me to this
    unfortunate conclusion. I won't mention them here because they are
    irrelevant to this discussion but I doubt I will ever purchase another
    bike from this dealer. That will be a hardship for me since tandem
    dealers are few and far between and we will have to drive hundreds of
    miles to the next nearest dealer.

    Quoted message said:


    If the Park tool works better for you with your eyesight problems, then
    it's a worthwhile tool, but for most of us it's not a good choice since
    it's $30 and not guaranteed to be more accurate (or quicker) than a
    ruler -- IOW, a solution looking for a problem.


    I paid a lot less than that, but the price of this tool is irrelevant
    - the question is about it's accuracy. As I have already indicated in
    a couple of other posts, I have found that when I checked the CC-2's
    readings against a ruler's, the results have been comparable. No one
    has yet shown me any data which meets the "axiomatic proclamation"
    standard as articulated by Jobst Brandt. IOW, I have read a bunch of
    theory, but I have not read of anyone who has actually checked the
    accuracy of the CC-2 against a ruler. I would welcome reviewing such a
    test. Until I have seen such a test, I must draw the conclusion that
    the allegation that Park Tool's CC-2 is inaccurate is an axiomatic
    proclamation.

    Harry

  9. bill said:


    HarryB said:
    Mike DeMicco said:

    HarryB <[email hidden]> wrote in news:s99uu114jtobbgfismqv2mbl60irmhagc0@
    4ax.com:

    > I'm going to spend some time researching this because I run expensive
    > chains on our tandem and don't want to waste money by replacing them
    > more or less often than necessary.

    The LBS measured my chain with the Rohloff gage and told me that the
    chain and cassette were worn out. The 10 speed Shimano chain had only a
    few thousand miles on it, and I am careful to keep it clean and lubed. Of
    course I did not believe it and measured it with a ruler when I got home.
    It was hardly worn at all; well short of the commonly accepted 12-1/16"
    measurement that determines a worn out chain. Anyone using the Rohloff
    gage is going to be wasting a lot of money on buying new chains, IMO.

    If you do a search on Google groups you will find this topic has been
    discussed at length in the past.

    I was caught by surprise to discover that there is controversy about
    how to determine chain wear. It's just not something that I as a
    newbie expected. Once again I'm learning something new. That is part
    of what makes life so interesting.

    Harry

    Chains wear out. cogs wear out. Non-lubed chains wear out faster. Wax
    is not a lube, it is a surface protectant. When your chain starts
    skipping, relace the chain and the freewheel cogset at the same time.


    I don't know if wax is a lubricant or a protectant, nor do I much care
    about the details. What I do know is that in my limited experience, my
    waxed chains last longer between waxings than other methods of
    lubricating I have used. Additionally, I am getting excellent mileage
    from my waxed chains. I plan on replacing my chains when they wear to
    the point which is recommended to protect the cogs and chainwheels as
    much as possible and don't see any need to replace the cogs and
    chainwheels until they are worn.

    Quoted message said:


    Tandems overload normal bicycle chains. Too much load. That is why
    they break. Two people pulling on one chain.


    Can't agree. Good quality tandems are engineered to deal with the
    additional load. Good quality chains apparently are perfectly capable
    of handling the load of two riders, even two strong riders (which we
    are not.) And AFAIK, even people who ride triples and quads use
    normal drive chains.

    Quoted message said:


    After a while, you will
    notice that bicycles are not rationally engineered. They are cobbled
    together, and that "standards" are merely defaults, not well thought
    out.

    I have broken too many chains to count, on a standard racing bike. It
    is annoying. It all started when Sedisport was retired and I started
    buying "Sachs" chains. So I started replacing every 5,000 miles,
    whether "worn" or not. Now I ride Dura-Ace or Crampygoslow Chorus as
    appropriate. Frankly I couldn't care less about the chain stretch. If
    it works, it works. Just as long as it isn't breaking. And the stretch
    doesn't tell you anything about fatigue life and so why bother
    measuring it?


    I don't accept the idea that when a good quality chain breaks under
    "normal" riding conditions that it is the fault of the rider(s). When
    we recently broke our drive chain on a rather steep (for us) hill, I
    could not get our LBS to replace it under warranty. However, dealing
    directly with the importer I have gotten them to agree to replace the
    chain. They of course didn't admit that the chain was defective, but
    all I asked is that they replace what I allege to be a defective chain
    and they agreed to do so.

    Harry

  10. Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Harry None None writes:

    ... What
    does B stand for by the way, or is that embarrassing? We know that
    jim beam is a whiskey rather than a human, although the alias is used
    by a participant in this forum.

    Jobst Brandt

    Jobst, calm down. Harry's new here, and he hasn't encountered your -
    um, ascerbic style before, nor your dislike of anonymous posters.

    Harry, welcome. Jobst is a very smart guy, but you have to get used to
    his inimitable style.

    - Frank Krygowski


    Thanks for the welcome, Frank.

    Yes, I know Jobst is a smart guy and I have had a great deal of
    respect for him in the past. That has all changed based on the little
    exchange I have just had with him. I no longer have much respect for
    him as a person, although I will continue to have much respect for his
    expertise and opinions.

    He reminds me of a number of very smart and gifted people I have known
    over the years. A couple of them had the ability to remember that most
    of what they know is based on the work of others who preceded them.
    Consequently they could be sympathetic to the plight of someone who
    was new to their particular field of expertise. The others had a
    "smarter than thou, and how dare you doubt me?" attitude. I learned
    more from the former than the latter.

    As far as being an anonymous poster, that is simply a carry over from
    the older days of the usenet when many of us would provide fake email
    addresses in order to avoid getting spammed as a result of data
    harvesters.

    Harry

  11. aka Jobst Brandt said:

    ...
    I think you have the wrong picture in mind. The dirt inside the chain
    is fine granite dust and metal powder that is not caked in place....

    The feldspar portion of granite usually weathers to clay minerals,
    while the quartz and mica portions exhibits much less change from
    chemical weathering, typically producing quartz and mica particles that
    range from "sand" sized to "clay" sized [1]. Therefore, unless one is
    referring to a process when abrasive or crushing mechanical processes
    are forming "rock flour" from granite, the use of the term "granite
    dust" is misleading.

    [1] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grain_size>.

    --
    Tom Sherman

  12. In article <[email hidden]>,

    HarryB said:

    Well, how about this example: Zinn also writes, without any proof,
    "The distance between these rivets should be 12 inches exactly. If it
    is 12 1/8 inches or greater, replace the chain..." Isn't that also an
    "axiomatic proclamation"? He doesn't offer any proof for this
    statement. He does explain the effects of excessive wear on the
    chainrings and cogs, but doesn't explain why 12 1/8" and not, let's
    say 12 1/2", is the replacement point. Has Zinn also been taken to
    task for this "axiomatic proclamation", or is it that since most
    people seem to agree with that statement they don't apply the same
    standard as when they disagree? IOW, the "axiomatic proclamation" test
    is not applied uniformly?

    At 12" 1/8 the cogs on the cogwheels of the rear wheel are
    already badly worn. Replace your chain whenever it reaches
    12' 1/16. Many people will tell you that they have
    prematurely worn out cogwheels by running out of
    specification chains. You should do the experiment
    yourself. The essence of the scientific method is
    reproducibility of reported results.

    My local bicycle shop (35+ years in the business) uses a
    simple rule of thumb. Put on a new chain, add lubricant
    when it complains, throw it away after 1000 miles.

    --
    Michael Press

  13. Michael Press aka Michael Press said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    HarryB said:

    Well, how about this example: Zinn also writes, without any proof,
    "The distance between these rivets should be 12 inches exactly. If it
    is 12 1/8 inches or greater, replace the chain..." Isn't that also an
    "axiomatic proclamation"? He doesn't offer any proof for this
    statement. He does explain the effects of excessive wear on the
    chainrings and cogs, but doesn't explain why 12 1/8" and not, let's
    say 12 1/2", is the replacement point. Has Zinn also been taken to
    task for this "axiomatic proclamation", or is it that since most
    people seem to agree with that statement they don't apply the same
    standard as when they disagree? IOW, the "axiomatic proclamation" test
    is not applied uniformly?

    At 12" 1/8 the cogs on the cogwheels of the rear wheel are
    already badly worn. Replace your chain whenever it reaches
    12' 1/16. Many people will tell you that they have
    prematurely worn out cogwheels by running out of
    specification chains. You should do the experiment
    yourself. The essence of the scientific method is
    reproducibility of reported results.

    My local bicycle shop (35+ years in the business) uses a
    simple rule of thumb. Put on a new chain, add lubricant
    when it complains, throw it away after 1000 miles.

    So your LBS have been throwing out perfectly good chains for 35 years?
    We are NOT talking about an item such as helicopter rotor blades here
    where failure will probably lead to the death of the occupants.

    At $30-50 per replacement chain, I will certainly not be throwing them
    out at 1,000 miles when they last much longer.

    --
    Tom Sherman

  14. Quoted message said:

    I think you don't understand. As I said these posts are trolls that
    have all the earmarks of telling us something the writer doesn't
    understand and done in a smug manner.

    Some may be trolls. No way all are trolls -- some are just questions.
    You assume since you've answered the question a zillion times that
    everyone must know the answer, but a lot of people are ignorant and
    lazy and have no ill will -- they're just asking a questions.

    Quoted message said:

    My response takes that issue to
    task. If you look at what the person wrote, like the one about how
    linseed oil made his wheels last a long time, there is a message there
    that doesn't merit passing on as fact and the writer knows it.

    Quoted message said:

    [details on why spoke prep and linseed oil are not needed snipped]

    Quoted message said:

    You really don't understand what I'm talking about, so I'll try to
    explain it again. I'm not commenting at all on the use of linseed oil
    or spoke prep. I'm commenting on that fact that because someone else
    doesn't understand something as well as you, you often feel the need
    to claim they have some desire for superstition, rather than simply
    being ignorant. Those two things are not the same. Step back for a
    minute and think about it.

    I think you don't see beyond the linseed oil. The tone of that post,
    as others, is that this is the solution to some specific problem when
    in fact the person writing has no evidence that it is so.

    So you're saying that because someone has no evidence they're
    trolling? That's quite a leap. Probably most are simply ignorant. I
    know I believed in the linseed oil thing because I simply didn't know
    better.

    Quoted message said:

    Passing on
    naivete as fact is bluster at best. If you like that, it's your
    choice.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm still looking for my denunciation of someone for asking a
    reasonable question. You may be less sensitive to trolls than I am.

    Quoted message said:

    You're mistaken if you think these people are all trolls. And if you
    truly think they are trolls, just don't answer.

    Ah yes, but the misinformation that rest of the newsgroup gets is
    worth a response.

    The response is saying they're wrong and/or demonstrating it. Or
    saying nothing if it tires you too much.

    Quoted message said:

    That you don't see the damage these intentional and
    unintentional trolls cause,

    Ahhhh, here we get to the meat of the issue. You think that someone
    can be trolling unintentionally. The whole nature of trolling is
    trying to stir up trouble. By it's very nature people can't troll
    unintentionally.

    JT

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  15. Michael Press said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    HarryB said:

    Well, how about this example: Zinn also writes, without any proof,
    "The distance between these rivets should be 12 inches exactly. If it
    is 12 1/8 inches or greater, replace the chain..." Isn't that also an
    "axiomatic proclamation"? He doesn't offer any proof for this
    statement. He does explain the effects of excessive wear on the
    chainrings and cogs, but doesn't explain why 12 1/8" and not, let's
    say 12 1/2", is the replacement point. Has Zinn also been taken to
    task for this "axiomatic proclamation", or is it that since most
    people seem to agree with that statement they don't apply the same
    standard as when they disagree? IOW, the "axiomatic proclamation" test
    is not applied uniformly?

    At 12" 1/8 the cogs on the cogwheels of the rear wheel are
    already badly worn. Replace your chain whenever it reaches
    12' 1/16. Many people will tell you that they have
    prematurely worn out cogwheels by running out of
    specification chains. You should do the experiment
    yourself. The essence of the scientific method is
    reproducibility of reported results.

    My local bicycle shop (35+ years in the business) uses a
    simple rule of thumb. Put on a new chain, add lubricant
    when it complains, throw it away after 1000 miles.


    You (approvingly) cite your LBS's very unscientific method of
    replacing chains after 1,000 miles of use. How do they know when a
    chain has reached the 1,000 mile mark? Do they check the odometer of
    each bike? And what evidence do they have that each and every chain is
    worn out at the 1,000 mile point? That would become a very expensive
    proposition for some riders. Even from this newbie's perspective I can
    conclude quite quickly that your LBS doesn't have their customer's
    best interest at heart if what you report is true. BTW, you aren't a
    part owner of this LBS, are you?

    What is the name of this LBS, so that others may be aware of this
    practice?

    Harry

  16. Quoted message said:

    I think you have the wrong picture in mind. The dirt inside the chain
    is fine granite dust and metal powder that is not caked in place. If
    you disassemble a dirty chain I think you'll see that it contains a
    fine grey/black residue that is easily washed away by immersion and
    sloshing the chain around in the wash tank. Caked on external dirt is
    the part that is hard to dislodge and that is best done by a stiff
    parts cleaning brush in a wash tank having a perforated false bottom.

    Jobst Brandt

    I've thought that a great amount of black stuff that appears on
    chains is the rubber powder from the wearing of car tires. I think
    that rubber dust is also a part of what coats the rims on a wet ride.
    Oil on the bike seems to get dirty quicker around town in Los Angeles
    than on roads less traveled. I did a tour in Southern Utah last fall
    and got rained on. The equipment was a lot cleaner than it would have
    been had I gotten wet in LosA.

  17. HarryB said:
    Peter Cole said:
    HarryB said:

    >>>>I think I grasp somewhat the reasoning behind measuring the
    >>>>distance between pins rather than between rollers. But, Lennard
    >>>>Zinn in the latest version of his book "Zinn & The Art of Road
    >>>>Bike Maintenance" writes: "The most reliable way to see whether
    >>>>the chain is worn out is to employ a chain-elongation gauge, such
    >>>>as the model make by Rohloff."

    Quoted message said:

    I don't recall reading that Zinn passes along myths and that I
    should be on the lookout for "axiomatic proclamations" which would get
    me into trouble if I followed them.

    Zinn is wrong, a Rohloff tool is *not* the "most reliable" way to check
    chains. That is an example of one of his "axiomatic proclamations".

    Didn't *you* just make an "axiomatic proclamation"? You offered no
    proof that he is wrong.

    I didn't (offer proof), because it seemed you had already "grasped" that
    from your original statement.

    The reason it's not the "most reliable" is that it doesn't measure pitch
    directly -- or at least not as directly as a ruler does.

    Quoted message said:

    As a newbie to many of these discussions I'm
    confused about this "axiomatic proclamation" business. One can hardly
    expect an author to justify each and every statement he makes.

    Well, that depends on how much you trust the author and/or how curious
    you are. If you're interested enough in chain lubrication to brew your
    own lube, I would think you'd be interested in the mechanisms of chain wear.

    Quoted message said:

    In reference to Zinn's book, Jobst Brandt wrote, "If you read the tone
    of such a book and find axiomatic proclamations
    with no reasoning for the claims, you should be wary of its claims. I
    prefer seeing stated what the method is, why it should be used and a
    test by which you can prove it to yourself."

    Well, how about this example: Zinn also writes, without any proof,
    "The distance between these rivets should be 12 inches exactly. If it
    is 12 1/8 inches or greater, replace the chain..." Isn't that also an
    "axiomatic proclamation"?

    Yes.

    Quoted message said:

    He doesn't offer any proof for this
    statement. He does explain the effects of excessive wear on the
    chainrings and cogs, but doesn't explain why 12 1/8" and not, let's
    say 12 1/2", is the replacement point. Has Zinn also been taken to
    task for this "axiomatic proclamation", or is it that since most
    people seem to agree with that statement they don't apply the same
    standard as when they disagree? IOW, the "axiomatic proclamation" test
    is not applied uniformly?

    In this case, his "axiomatic proclamation" is correct, although he still
    requires the reader to take it on faith. I would be much more happy with
    the inclusion of an explanation, but then I'm an engineer who hangs
    out on a technical bike news group.

    Quoted message said:

    I have tried other methods of lubricating and found that overall they
    are more work than the hot wax method I use to accomplish my goals.

    I'm sorry, it's hard to take that comment seriously from someone who
    uses such an elaborate method.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    As for your tandem timing chain wearing out prematurely, I'd hesitate
    before accusing the seller of stiffing you with a pre-worn chain, it may
    be that the timing chain was badly adjusted (or the rings eccentrically
    mounted, etc.).

    In retrospect there are other factors which lead me to this
    unfortunate conclusion. I won't mention them here because they are
    irrelevant to this discussion but I doubt I will ever purchase another
    bike from this dealer. That will be a hardship for me since tandem
    dealers are few and far between and we will have to drive hundreds of
    miles to the next nearest dealer.

    My sympathies, but you did accuse the dealer (in your post) of being
    dishonest based only on rate of chain wear (the mechanism for which you
    simultaneously admitted ignorance of).

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    If the Park tool works better for you with your eyesight problems, then
    it's a worthwhile tool, but for most of us it's not a good choice since
    it's $30 and not guaranteed to be more accurate (or quicker) than a
    ruler -- IOW, a solution looking for a problem.

    I paid a lot less than that, but the price of this tool is irrelevant
    - the question is about it's accuracy. As I have already indicated in
    a couple of other posts, I have found that when I checked the CC-2's
    readings against a ruler's, the results have been comparable. No one
    has yet shown me any data which meets the "axiomatic proclamation"
    standard as articulated by Jobst Brandt. IOW, I have read a bunch of
    theory, but I have not read of anyone who has actually checked the
    accuracy of the CC-2 against a ruler. I would welcome reviewing such a
    test. Until I have seen such a test, I must draw the conclusion that
    the allegation that Park Tool's CC-2 is inaccurate is an axiomatic
    proclamation.

    If you Google, you'll find several examples of people reporting the
    inaccuracy of chain measurement tools. IOW, the experience has been
    variable. Rulers never lie. Did Zinn even mention using a ruler?

    This is a technical NG, and its archives form an important resource. You
    may find the criticism overzealous, but cycling has suffered from "myths
    and lore" for decades. It's a worthwhile effort to try to set the record
    straight. You should temper your indignation with the realization of
    your relative ignorance. I've read Zinn, I've read Brandt -- there's no
    comparison. I would think you'd be grateful that a guy like him would
    spend the time to try to educate you a little, rather than getting all
    tweaked about it.

  18. Dans le message de news:[email hidden],
    Peter Cole <[email hidden]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :

    Quoted message said:

    This is a technical NG, and its archives form an important resource.
    You may find the criticism overzealous, but cycling has suffered from
    "myths and lore" for decades.

    Just to be clear, myth and lore are contrapositives.
    Myth is not good.
    Lore is good.
    Fin.

  19. In article
    <[email hidden]>,
    "Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Michael Press aka Michael Press said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    HarryB said:

    Well, how about this example: Zinn also writes, without any proof,
    "The distance between these rivets should be 12 inches exactly. If it
    is 12 1/8 inches or greater, replace the chain..." Isn't that also an
    "axiomatic proclamation"? He doesn't offer any proof for this
    statement. He does explain the effects of excessive wear on the
    chainrings and cogs, but doesn't explain why 12 1/8" and not, let's
    say 12 1/2", is the replacement point. Has Zinn also been taken to
    task for this "axiomatic proclamation", or is it that since most
    people seem to agree with that statement they don't apply the same
    standard as when they disagree? IOW, the "axiomatic proclamation" test
    is not applied uniformly?

    At 12" 1/8 the cogs on the cogwheels of the rear wheel are
    already badly worn. Replace your chain whenever it reaches
    12' 1/16. Many people will tell you that they have
    prematurely worn out cogwheels by running out of
    specification chains. You should do the experiment
    yourself. The essence of the scientific method is
    reproducibility of reported results.

    My local bicycle shop (35+ years in the business) uses a
    simple rule of thumb. Put on a new chain, add lubricant
    when it complains, throw it away after 1000 miles.

    So your LBS have been throwing out perfectly good chains for 35 years?
    We are NOT talking about an item such as helicopter rotor blades here
    where failure will probably lead to the death of the occupants.

    At $30-50 per replacement chain, I will certainly not be throwing them
    out at 1,000 miles when they last much longer.

    I pay considerably less. If someone wants to undertake the
    work required to measure and clean their chain then he
    will. They make it easy for people to maintain the drive
    train on their bicycle. Look how much work it is to
    explain maintenance of the drive train.

    --
    Michael Press

  20. In article <[email hidden]>,

    HarryB said:
    Michael Press said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    HarryB said:

    Well, how about this example: Zinn also writes, without any proof,
    "The distance between these rivets should be 12 inches exactly. If it
    is 12 1/8 inches or greater, replace the chain..." Isn't that also an
    "axiomatic proclamation"? He doesn't offer any proof for this
    statement. He does explain the effects of excessive wear on the
    chainrings and cogs, but doesn't explain why 12 1/8" and not, let's
    say 12 1/2", is the replacement point. Has Zinn also been taken to
    task for this "axiomatic proclamation", or is it that since most
    people seem to agree with that statement they don't apply the same
    standard as when they disagree? IOW, the "axiomatic proclamation" test
    is not applied uniformly?

    At 12" 1/8 the cogs on the cogwheels of the rear wheel are
    already badly worn. Replace your chain whenever it reaches
    12' 1/16. Many people will tell you that they have
    prematurely worn out cogwheels by running out of
    specification chains. You should do the experiment
    yourself. The essence of the scientific method is
    reproducibility of reported results.

    My local bicycle shop (35+ years in the business) uses a
    simple rule of thumb. Put on a new chain, add lubricant
    when it complains, throw it away after 1000 miles.


    You (approvingly) cite your LBS's very unscientific method of
    replacing chains after 1,000 miles of use. How do they know when a
    chain has reached the 1,000 mile mark? Do they check the odometer of
    each bike? And what evidence do they have that each and every chain is
    worn out at the 1,000 mile point? That would become a very expensive
    proposition for some riders. Even from this newbie's perspective I can
    conclude quite quickly that your LBS doesn't have their customer's
    best interest at heart if what you report is true. BTW, you aren't a
    part owner of this LBS, are you?

    What is the name of this LBS, so that others may be aware of this
    practice?

    It is scientific in that it has repeatably proven
    effective keeping peoples bicycles running smoothly.

    -- How do I know when I have gone 1000 miles?
    -- Where do you ride, and when did you last replace the
    chain?
    -- I ride x-y-z 5 times a week. Last year.
    -- OK. That is N miles.

    Sheesh! Two sharp responses as if I am advocating the
    dissolution of our nation's moral fiber. It is a bicycle
    chain. Do what you will. I mention it to broaden people's
    thinking; that is my crime.

    I quote their years in business to suggest that they
    effectively serve bicyclists.

    --
    Michael Press

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.