chain wrap

aa9t8

Oct 22, 2004
i am trying to figure out how having more or less wrap will help me with a shifting problem. will less wrap give me faster shifting going up in gear? what will more wrap do? please i have been fiddling with this bike for months. have changed chain, derailler, cable twice, now using 1.1, also put my derailler on for a while, put different caseing on and a different cogset for a while. oh yeah a different wheel for a while too. this is my wifes winter rider and it is not that old or wore out. nothing is that worn everything has been changed and or cleaned and or adjusted a million times. and it will not go into a higher gear smooth. ya gotta nudge it or be really patient. the derailler is not springing back quite right. it is a new derailler. help please. the derailler is a 7 or 8 speed. suitable for this bike

http://bike.shimano.com/media/cycling/techdocs/en/bikecomponents/RD/SI-rd6600_v1_m56577569830537869.pdf

Hey I've been to Abbotsford for a rugby tournament a long time ago. I had a great time. As for chain wrap I'm assume your reffering to the chain length? The shimano website has many pdf's that discuss the installation of their products. I've found that if you follow the directions closely, and provided that the drivetrain is clean and not worn out, you'll get flawless shifting. I'm not completly sure but I don't think too much has changed as far as adjustment screws go from an 8 speed to the current 10 speed drivetrains.

Chain wrap has nothing to do with shifting performance assuming it's the proper length to start with. The RD is going to take up the slack regardless of the amount.

i made this chain the same length as the factory one. the chain wrap i am refering to is the adjustment on this derailer that moves the top guide wheel forward or back of the cogset. in the class i took i seem to remember something about how closer does one thing and further does another. and thanks for the link it does tell how to get the b adjustment there. thanks