Chainless Bike

Dandaroo

Aug 21, 2006
Anyone have experience with the Dynamic drive shaft bikes. The options are limited re the geometry and componentry but what about the overall concept? A 7 or 8 speed direct drive is an intriguing design--no muss, no fuss, but are they any good?

Dandaroo said:
Anyone have experience with the Dynamic drive shaft bikes. The options are limited re the geometry and componentry but what about the overall concept? A 7 or 8 speed direct drive is an intriguing design--no muss, no fuss, but are they any good?
wow they look interesting just had a google. never seen them before. would be worried that the shaft might bend or rust though imagine the whole thing is a bit pricey to repair.

The concept is very interesting. It looks like a good idea for a commuter bike, or even a touring bike. Not having derailleurs to adjust is a novel idea, though after cables quit stretching, derailleur adjustment doesn't occur often. I especially like the idea for a commuter bike as there is no exposed chain meaning you could wear work clothes without getting them greasy. The only problem I see, and where I agree with Baston, is how much would it be to repair if the driveshaft were damaged. It may not be a huge risk, but it is something to consider. I remember a while back that a manufacturer tried a driveshaft design for a DH bike to take out the risk of the chain bouncing off (this was before the advent of chain guides and such).

Why a shaft bike?

What I've read from others, they tend to loose a lot of energy in the mechanism, i.e. are note very nice to cycle for even semi long commutes.

If you are concerned with chain tattoo on your clothes from chain oil, consider getting a fully encased chain protector:

http://www.hebie.de/html/en/detail_schuetze.php?id=0350

I'll get one of those (or similar) for my next commuter.