chainless bike

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Marian, Dec 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marian

Marian Guest

Chalo's recent post about a hydraulic bicycle reminded me of an oddity I saw at the local bike shop
    about a month ago.

Alas language barriers prevented me from asking a million and a half questions about the oddity in
    question and since I had no desire to buy it I wasn't going to bring someone in just so I could ask
    questions and leave again.

No chain.

And it had the word CHAINLESS blazoned on it in about 5 places.

There was a bar of some kind that went between the pedals and the back wheel. And that
    seemed to be it.

Any idea how they might be powering it?

Should I go back and take a in depth look even if it will annoy them because I have no intention of
    buying it?

-M

Tags:

2. Rivermist

Rivermist Guest

I wonder if it is like the motorcycles that are shaft driven.

"Marian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Chalo's recent post about a hydraulic bicycle reminded me of an oddity I saw at the local bike
    > shop about a month ago.
    >
    > Alas language barriers prevented me from asking a million and a half questions about the oddity in
    > question and since I had no desire to buy it I wasn't going to bring someone in just so I could
    > ask questions and leave again.
    >
    > No chain.
    >
    > And it had the word CHAINLESS blazoned on it in about 5 places.
    >
    > There was a bar of some kind that went between the pedals and the back wheel. And that seemed
    > to be it.
    >
    > Any idea how they might be powering it?
    >
    > Should I go back and take a in depth look even if it will annoy them because I have no intention
    > of buying it?
    >
    > -M

3. Buck

Buck Guest

>
    > There was a bar of some kind that went between the pedals and the back wheel. And that seemed
    > to be it.

Something like this? http://www.chainless.com/citybikel.html

It is a shaft drive. It has a bevel gears instead of chainrings and sprockets. A shaft connects the
    two. It works much like the driveshaft of a shaft drive bicycle. Gear changes are accomplished the
    same as on your bike - a shimano Nexus hub.

It's all pretty simple, but adds considerable weight to the bike (despite any claims otherwise).

-Buck

4. Q.

Q. Guest

> Chalo's recent post about a hydraulic bicycle reminded me of an oddity I saw at the local bike
    > shop about a month ago.
    >
    > Alas language barriers prevented me from asking a million and a half questions about the oddity in
    > question and since I had no desire to buy it I wasn't going to bring someone in just so I could
    > ask questions and leave again.
    >
    > No chain.
    >
    >
    > to be it.
    >
    > Any idea how they might be powering it?
    >
    > Should I go back and take a in depth look even if it will annoy them because I have no intention
    > of buying it?
    >
    > -M

Shaft drive. Not unusual actually, people have been making "chainless" bikes for a long time, but
    they've never caught on. Chains, so far, are the most efficient way of transferring power.

Chains work beter.

C.Q.C.

5. Marian

Marian Guest

Buck wrote:
    > "Marian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >
    >>And it had the word CHAINLESS blazoned on it in about 5 places.
    >>
    >>There was a bar of some kind that went between the pedals and the back wheel. And that seemed
    >>to be it.
    >
    >
    > Something like this? http://www.chainless.com/citybikel.html
    >
    > It is a shaft drive. It has a bevel gears instead of chainrings and sprockets. A shaft connects
    > the two. It works much like the driveshaft of a shaft drive bicycle. Gear changes are accomplished
    > the same as on your bike - a shimano Nexus hub.
    >
    > It's all pretty simple, but adds considerable weight to the bike (despite any claims otherwise).

Exactly like that in fact.

-M