chainless bike

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Marian, Dec 3, 2003.

  1. Marian

    Marian Guest

    Chalo's recent post about a hydraulic bicycle reminded me of an oddity I saw at the local bike shop
    about a month ago.

    Alas language barriers prevented me from asking a million and a half questions about the oddity in
    question and since I had no desire to buy it I wasn't going to bring someone in just so I could ask
    questions and leave again.

    No chain.

    And it had the word CHAINLESS blazoned on it in about 5 places.

    There was a bar of some kind that went between the pedals and the back wheel. And that
    seemed to be it.

    Any idea how they might be powering it?

    Should I go back and take a in depth look even if it will annoy them because I have no intention of
    buying it?

    -M

    Tags:

  2. Rivermist

    Rivermist Guest

    I wonder if it is like the motorcycles that are shaft driven.

    "Marian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Chalo's recent post about a hydraulic bicycle reminded me of an oddity I saw at the local bike
    > shop about a month ago.
    >
    > Alas language barriers prevented me from asking a million and a half questions about the oddity in
    > question and since I had no desire to buy it I wasn't going to bring someone in just so I could
    > ask questions and leave again.
    >
    > No chain.
    >
    > And it had the word CHAINLESS blazoned on it in about 5 places.
    >
    > There was a bar of some kind that went between the pedals and the back wheel. And that seemed
    > to be it.
    >
    > Any idea how they might be powering it?
    >
    > Should I go back and take a in depth look even if it will annoy them because I have no intention
    > of buying it?
    >
    > -M

  3. Buck

    Buck Guest

    "Marian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > And it had the word CHAINLESS blazoned on it in about 5 places.
    >
    > There was a bar of some kind that went between the pedals and the back wheel. And that seemed
    > to be it.

    Something like this? http://www.chainless.com/citybikel.html

    It is a shaft drive. It has a bevel gears instead of chainrings and sprockets. A shaft connects the
    two. It works much like the driveshaft of a shaft drive bicycle. Gear changes are accomplished the
    same as on your bike - a shimano Nexus hub.

    It's all pretty simple, but adds considerable weight to the bike (despite any claims otherwise).

    -Buck

  4. Q.

    Q. Guest

    "Marian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Chalo's recent post about a hydraulic bicycle reminded me of an oddity I saw at the local bike
    > shop about a month ago.
    >
    > Alas language barriers prevented me from asking a million and a half questions about the oddity in
    > question and since I had no desire to buy it I wasn't going to bring someone in just so I could
    > ask questions and leave again.
    >
    > No chain.
    >
    > And it had the word CHAINLESS blazoned on it in about 5 places.
    >
    > There was a bar of some kind that went between the pedals and the back wheel. And that seemed
    > to be it.
    >
    > Any idea how they might be powering it?
    >
    > Should I go back and take a in depth look even if it will annoy them because I have no intention
    > of buying it?
    >
    > -M

    Shaft drive. Not unusual actually, people have been making "chainless" bikes for a long time, but
    they've never caught on. Chains, so far, are the most efficient way of transferring power.

    Chains work beter.

    C.Q.C.

  5. Marian

    Marian Guest

    Buck wrote:
    > "Marian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >

    >>And it had the word CHAINLESS blazoned on it in about 5 places.
    >>
    >>There was a bar of some kind that went between the pedals and the back wheel. And that seemed
    >>to be it.
    >

    > Something like this? http://www.chainless.com/citybikel.html
    >
    > It is a shaft drive. It has a bevel gears instead of chainrings and sprockets. A shaft connects
    > the two. It works much like the driveshaft of a shaft drive bicycle. Gear changes are accomplished
    > the same as on your bike - a shimano Nexus hub.
    >
    > It's all pretty simple, but adds considerable weight to the bike (despite any claims otherwise).

    Exactly like that in fact.

    -M