chainless bike

Marian

Guest
Chalo's recent post about a hydraulic bicycle reminded me of an oddity I saw at the local bike shop
about a month ago.

Alas language barriers prevented me from asking a million and a half questions about the oddity in
question and since I had no desire to buy it I wasn't going to bring someone in just so I could ask
questions and leave again.

No chain.

And it had the word CHAINLESS blazoned on it in about 5 places.

There was a bar of some kind that went between the pedals and the back wheel. And that
seemed to be it.

Any idea how they might be powering it?

Should I go back and take a in depth look even if it will annoy them because I have no intention of
buying it?

-M

I wonder if it is like the motorcycles that are shaft driven.

"Marian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Chalo's recent post about a hydraulic bicycle reminded me of an oddity I saw at the local bike
> shop about a month ago.
>
> Alas language barriers prevented me from asking a million and a half questions about the oddity in
> question and since I had no desire to buy it I wasn't going to bring someone in just so I could
> ask questions and leave again.
>
> No chain.
>
> And it had the word CHAINLESS blazoned on it in about 5 places.
>
> There was a bar of some kind that went between the pedals and the back wheel. And that seemed
> to be it.
>
> Any idea how they might be powering it?
>
> Should I go back and take a in depth look even if it will annoy them because I have no intention
> of buying it?
>
> -M

"Marian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> And it had the word CHAINLESS blazoned on it in about 5 places.
>
> There was a bar of some kind that went between the pedals and the back wheel. And that seemed
> to be it.

Something like this? http://www.chainless.com/citybikel.html

It is a shaft drive. It has a bevel gears instead of chainrings and sprockets. A shaft connects the
two. It works much like the driveshaft of a shaft drive bicycle. Gear changes are accomplished the
same as on your bike - a shimano Nexus hub.

It's all pretty simple, but adds considerable weight to the bike (despite any claims otherwise).

-Buck

"Marian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Chalo's recent post about a hydraulic bicycle reminded me of an oddity I saw at the local bike
> shop about a month ago.
>
> Alas language barriers prevented me from asking a million and a half questions about the oddity in
> question and since I had no desire to buy it I wasn't going to bring someone in just so I could
> ask questions and leave again.
>
> No chain.
>
> And it had the word CHAINLESS blazoned on it in about 5 places.
>
> There was a bar of some kind that went between the pedals and the back wheel. And that seemed
> to be it.
>
> Any idea how they might be powering it?
>
> Should I go back and take a in depth look even if it will annoy them because I have no intention
> of buying it?
>
> -M

Shaft drive. Not unusual actually, people have been making "chainless" bikes for a long time, but
they've never caught on. Chains, so far, are the most efficient way of transferring power.

Chains work beter.

C.Q.C.

Buck wrote:
> "Marian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

>>And it had the word CHAINLESS blazoned on it in about 5 places.
>>
>>There was a bar of some kind that went between the pedals and the back wheel. And that seemed
>>to be it.
>

> Something like this? http://www.chainless.com/citybikel.html
>
> It is a shaft drive. It has a bevel gears instead of chainrings and sprockets. A shaft connects
> the two. It works much like the driveshaft of a shaft drive bicycle. Gear changes are accomplished
> the same as on your bike - a shimano Nexus hub.
>
> It's all pretty simple, but adds considerable weight to the bike (despite any claims otherwise).

Exactly like that in fact.

-M