Chainless Bikes. What do you think?

Ideologue said:
True, but belts are much less efficient than chains as they have to be bent around the cog. As Mike Burrows wrote 'they are better on packaging machines'!
Or driving alternators,camshafts and water pumps...

I really like the look of these new shaft driven cycles,especially as I've had a real bellyful of adjusting derailleur gears in recent months.

For one thing I know, about the efficiency. Chain and shaft drive are not close.When the level of the ground is even 15 degree downhill, the chain will react slow,because it will go through the chain hole, one after another and also the weight of the rider will slow down from going forward. For shaft drive, it is just like the windmill, small gear cary over the middle gear, middle gear cary over the big gear...... it goes so fast more than you can imagine. It is the uphill, there are some limits.The shaft drive require a weight limit and recommend a mild uphill riding. At current, not many companies have the skill of making them, also it is new, marketing needs a big effort. just a presidential election, how much money the candidate has to raise? Shaft drive is not a dirt bike. that is for sure. It also need scheduled oil change. The oil getting hot after a long drive, it is a good point. by adding a insulation shield penal would be a good idea, also it will protect the shaft drive from hitting the ground or rock.

ScottishDan said:
I've been inspired by this thread so I thought I'd try my bike chainless this weekend. The cranks just seemed to spin without the back wheel turning at all and it didn't change gear very well. Pedalling seemed to be really easy though.

I have decided to put the chain back on.
Its worse if you go shaftless

CharlieBear426 said:
I've been looking at getting the Incline® Hybrid Cruz 7 (shaftdrive) has anyone ridden this type before. I just want to know what you think.
I have just purchased an Incline Trav 20. Shaft drive bike. It is a folding bike, looks good and quality is reasonable on a sub £200/$400 bike. It has a Sturmey Archer X-RF5 5 Speed internal hub which also attracted me. Yes shaft drive is less efficient but I wanted something completely maintainance free and something clean and foldable as I've a tiny apartment in Hong Kong. Nearly everything good about this bike but . . . . . . . . . . . . the grearing is WAY too low. 5th Gear is somewhere around where 3rd should be. If this were not the case I'd be over the moon with this bike, I honestly don't think they have changed gearing at all from the 24" wheel bikes they make. As it is, it's cr*p. For someone who wants to ride very slowly or someone who lives in a very hilly city it would be OK. About 15Mph and your legs are flying round. Also this X-RF5 hub doesn't change when stationary like the Simano Nexus, this is a real advantage over derailleur. Oh well, about to take back to shop and argue the case.

James
Their sparce website probably says it all www.inclinebikes.com

stevebaby said:
There was an article in "Australian Cyclist" a little while ago about a (custom-built) bike with a toothed rubber belt drive.It used a Rohloff hub and had a removable dropout so the belt could be replaced.
Very quiet,durable,belts cheap to replace,no lubing required.
There's a bike like that sitting in Terry Hammond Cycles in Port Melbourne. The rubber belt was quite wide (maybe 10 cm?) which equals lots of friction.

You know what I saw the chinless since the first time i saw this post it is really kind of cool. This time when I saw this post I thought it said chair-less bikes at first. This would be some workout to ride as if the seat isn't there. You have to balance yourself so you engage your core and your butt gets a better workout. Seatless bikes for the big challenge.

Yes, I know that a chainless bikes are a thing among some cyclists. Personally, I'm not a fan as I don't think they're that efficient or as fun to ride as normal bike. I also don't think that chains are that difficult or costly to maintain.

You would be able to maintain the bike less but I don't think it would be worth it over the added weight and clumbliness... I wouldn't want to put extra effort in the ride especially up long hills.

I have seen some pictures of prototypes of chainless bikes but I thought they were exactly that, prototypes. I had no idea they actually went into production.