Chainline/FD Problem

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Terry Morse, Jun 18, 2004.

  1. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    I have a problem after replacing my BB and cranks. I replaced my 118
    mm BB and Sugino triple cranks with an FSA ISIS 118 mm BB and FSA
    triple cranks.

    Everything works fine, except I can't adjust the front (ultegra
    clamp-on triple) derailleur properly for the small ring. The chain
    rubs the inside of the derailleur cage when the cassette is in the
    lowest 3 cogs. I can't adjust the derailleur any farther in, because
    it is hitting the seat tube.

    The elegant solution would be to shift the BB a few mm to the right,
    but doing that seems problematic. It's an english threaded BB. Any
    ideas?

    Thanks.

  2. gwhite

    gwhite Guest

    Terry Morse wrote:

    > The elegant solution would be to shift the BB a few mm to the right,
    > but doing that seems problematic.

    http://www.thethirdhand.com/index.cgi?c=Bottom Bracket&id=71059306303
    Freewheel/BB Cup Spacer 1.0mm /Each
    Freewheel/BB Cup Spacer 1.5mm /Each
    Freewheel/BB Cup Spacer 2.0mm /Each

    It works fine. I do it all the time.

  3. tmorse-<< I can't adjust the derailleur any farther in, because
    it is hitting the seat tube. >><BR><BR>

    Grind a bit of front der away where it hits the ST and perhaps a small divot in
    the ST where the front der hits.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  4. Terry Morse <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The elegant solution would be to shift the BB a few mm to the right,
    > but doing that seems problematic. It's an english threaded BB. Any
    > ideas?

    A spacer under the right side cup will do that, assuming
    you can still screw the left side cup in enough to hold the
    BB, and that the left crank doesn't hit the chainstay
    (probably rare).

    Did you measure the chainline before and after? How does it
    compare to whatever the Shimano spec is for a road triple
    chainline?

  5. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

  6. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    "Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote:

    > Grind a bit of front der away where it hits the ST and perhaps a small divot
    > in the ST where the front der hits.

    That was what I tried at first, but it still needs a little more
    space, and I'm relucatant to grand any more away. I ordered a BB
    spacer from Loose Screws.

  7. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    Benjamin Weiner wrote:

    > A spacer under the right side cup will do that, assuming
    > you can still screw the left side cup in enough to hold the
    > BB, and that the left crank doesn't hit the chainstay
    > (probably rare).

    That's what I'll do. There is 9 mm of clearance between the left
    crank and chainstay, and I need only about 1.5 mm.

    > Did you measure the chainline before and after? How does it
    > compare to whatever the Shimano spec is for a road triple
    > chainline?

    No, I didn't measure. I figured the 118 mm printed on the new BB was
    adequate.

  8. > > http://www.thethirdhand.com/index.cgi?c=Bottom Bracket&id=71059306303
    > > Freewheel/BB Cup Spacer 1.0mm /Each
    > > Freewheel/BB Cup Spacer 1.5mm /Each
    > > Freewheel/BB Cup Spacer 2.0mm /Each
    > >
    > > It works fine. I do it all the time.

    > Thanks, just what I was looking for. I place an order.

    Terry: Many local bike shops probably would have had those in stock,
    they're hardly unique. I'm sure we've got them, for what it's worth (but
    that doesn't do you much good right now, since we're closed Sundays in
    Redwood City, and I'm not sure if we've got them in our Los Altos store...
    they're too new to have ever had to deal with spacing out a freewheel).

    Obviously, before installing BB spacers, make sure that's not going to bring
    the left side in too close to the frame.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

  9. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    Mike Jacoubowsky wrote (regarding BB spacers):

    > Terry: Many local bike shops probably would have had those in stock,
    > they're hardly unique. I'm sure we've got them, for what it's worth (but
    > that doesn't do you much good right now, since we're closed Sundays in
    > Redwood City, and I'm not sure if we've got them in our Los Altos store...
    > they're too new to have ever had to deal with spacing out a freewheel).

    Thanks for the offer, Mike. Since I already placed the order, I'll
    just wait for the delivery. Although it's only an 80-cent part, In
    can wait. I don't use the small ring around here. I'll save that for
    Sonora Pass and the like.

    > Obviously, before installing BB spacers, make sure that's not going to bring
    > the left side in too close to the frame.

    Yep, that part I already checked. I have 9 mm of clearance on the
    left crank.

    Here's another little incident I had today. Do you know the little
    pin that keeps a dropped chain from wedging itself between the big
    ring and the crank? Well, the FSA crank has one, but it doesn't
    stick out far enough to prevent the chain from doing just that. It
    happened to me just at the top of the hill on Sand Hill Road today,
    and it was quite the challenge to get it out of there. Just thought
    you might like to know that, what with you using an FSA crankset now.