chainline question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tony, Mar 2, 2003.

  1. Tony

    Tony Guest

    I have a 9 speed durace BB and crank. When I install it the chain moves side to side noticably more
    than my 8 speed version. Am I doing something wrong in installation, or have I messed something up?

    Thanks,

    Tony

    Tags:

  2. David Ornee

    David Ornee Guest

    "Tony" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have a 9 speed durace BB and crank. When I install it the chain moves side to side noticably
    > more than my 8 speed version. Am I doing something wrong in installation, or have I messed
    > something up?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Tony

    Tony,

    There should be no additional side to side movement.
    1. Check to see that the BB is properly secured by itself first.
    2. Then check to make sure the right crank arm is properly secured to the Octalink BB spindle. I
    strongly suggest you don't ride until these items are checked & properly secured.

    David Ornee, Western Springs, IL

  3. Tony

    Tony Guest

    I'm sure everything is secure. The problem is the crank is not turning in a perfect circle making
    the chain move side to side. I've noticed this on all the cranks I have had to a very small degree
    but on this crank it is very noticable.

    Tony

  4. Mark Wolfe

    Mark Wolfe Guest

    Do yourself a favor and make sure you have the self extracting dust cap removed so you can see that
    the splines are engaged when you install the crank. When you say side to side, do you have a bent
    chainring?

    David Ornee wrote:

    > "Tony" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> I have a 9 speed durace BB and crank. When I install it the chain moves side to side noticably
    >> more than my 8 speed version. Am I doing something wrong in installation, or have I messed
    >> something up?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Tony
    >

    > Tony,
    >
    > There should be no additional side to side movement.
    > 1. Check to see that the BB is properly secured by itself first.
    > 2. Then check to make sure the right crank arm is properly secured to the Octalink BB spindle. I
    > strongly suggest you don't ride until these items are checked & properly secured.
    >
    > David Ornee, Western Springs, IL

  5. Tony

    Tony Guest

    I check the splines carefully when I install the crank. The chainring is not bent, I'm using the
    same chainring on another crank right now. This is not a large side movement. I used these cranks
    for more than 6000 miles, it's just more than i'm used to with other cranks, and it makes adjusting
    the front derailler more difficult.

    Tony