chainline question

Tony

Guest
I have a 9 speed durace BB and crank. When I install it the chain moves side to side noticably more
than my 8 speed version. Am I doing something wrong in installation, or have I messed something up?

Thanks,

Tony

"Tony" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I have a 9 speed durace BB and crank. When I install it the chain moves side to side noticably
> more than my 8 speed version. Am I doing something wrong in installation, or have I messed
> something up?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tony

Tony,

There should be no additional side to side movement.
1. Check to see that the BB is properly secured by itself first.
2. Then check to make sure the right crank arm is properly secured to the Octalink BB spindle. I
strongly suggest you don't ride until these items are checked & properly secured.

David Ornee, Western Springs, IL

I'm sure everything is secure. The problem is the crank is not turning in a perfect circle making
the chain move side to side. I've noticed this on all the cranks I have had to a very small degree
but on this crank it is very noticable.

Tony

Do yourself a favor and make sure you have the self extracting dust cap removed so you can see that
the splines are engaged when you install the crank. When you say side to side, do you have a bent
chainring?

David Ornee wrote:

> "Tony" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> I have a 9 speed durace BB and crank. When I install it the chain moves side to side noticably
>> more than my 8 speed version. Am I doing something wrong in installation, or have I messed
>> something up?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Tony
>

> Tony,
>
> There should be no additional side to side movement.
> 1. Check to see that the BB is properly secured by itself first.
> 2. Then check to make sure the right crank arm is properly secured to the Octalink BB spindle. I
> strongly suggest you don't ride until these items are checked & properly secured.
>
> David Ornee, Western Springs, IL

I check the splines carefully when I install the crank. The chainring is not bent, I'm using the
same chainring on another crank right now. This is not a large side movement. I used these cranks
for more than 6000 miles, it's just more than i'm used to with other cranks, and it makes adjusting
the front derailler more difficult.

Tony