chainreactioncycles.co.uk & bikedock.co.uk & merlincycles.co.uk - recommendation

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Ben, Jun 18, 2003.

  1. Ben

    Ben Guest

    Full marks to both ChainReaction & BikeDock. I ordered a some parts from them yesterday and received
    them all this morning.

    Both had lower prices than everywhere else I checked and the postage was free and first class.

    Oddly I've noticed that they're both based in Co. Antrim, Ireland. Obviously the Irish know how to
    run mail order businesses well.

    Also the website were clear and easy to use, and let me have stuff sent to my work address and bill
    to a different addresses.

    Merlin also surprised me. I bought a Rock Lobster 853 frame from them a week or so ago and it came
    without down tube decals. I didn't think too much of this, and was going to get round to giving them
    a ring at some point as not having them didn't bother me too much. But lo and behold, the decals
    came in the post yesterday morning.

    So that's tonight sorted out, I'll be spanner wielding :)
    --
    ******** replace 'spam' with 'ben' to reply *********

    Tags:

  2. Garry Broad

    Garry Broad Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 16:12:48 +0100, Ben <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Full marks to both ChainReaction & BikeDock. I ordered a some parts from them yesterday and
    >received them all this morning.

    same here...(couple of days ago)

    >Both had lower prices than everywhere else I checked and the postage was free and first class.

    this surprised me too...and prompted the curiosity of how they could 'do this' without cutting into
    profit deeply?

    >Oddly I've noticed that they're both based in Co. Antrim, Ireland. Obviously the Irish know how to
    >run mail order businesses well.

    They know how to brew stout too!

    Garry

    >Also the website were clear and easy to use, and let me have stuff sent to my work address and bill
    >to a different addresses.
    >
    >Merlin also surprised me. I bought a Rock Lobster 853 frame from them a week or so ago and it came
    >without down tube decals. I didn't think too much of this, and was going to get round to giving
    >them a ring at some point as not having them didn't bother me too much. But lo and behold, the
    >decals came in the post yesterday morning.
    >
    >So that's tonight sorted out, I'll be spanner wielding :)

  3. Ben

    Ben Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 17:50:59 +0100, Garry Broad <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 16:12:48 +0100, Ben <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Full marks to both ChainReaction & BikeDock. I ordered a some parts from them yesterday and
    >>received them all this morning.
    >
    >same here...(couple of days ago)
    >
    >>Both had lower prices than everywhere else I checked and the postage was free and first class.
    >
    >this surprised me too...and prompted the curiosity of how they could 'do this' without cutting into
    >profit deeply?

    Are they actually bike shops as well? Mail order places commonly don't have a full on shop so they
    cut down on running costs.

    Or more likely the markup on stuff normally is so much that someone can afford to cut the price and
    still cover their costs.
    --
    "We take these risks, not to escape from life, but to prevent life escaping from us." ***** replace
    'spam' with 'ben' to reply *****