Chainring bolt for TA chainset

Anyone any ideas where I can get hold of a single chainring bolt for my
TA chainset (not sure what model it is, its 22/32/44 rings, looks quite
modern) - only place Ive found so far is Endinburh bicycle, but these
are £8.95 plus p&p - dont really want to pay this for one bolt ! The
bolt is fixing the middle to the outer chainring (one has come loose
and fell out), and have tried some standard chainring bolts, but
slightly too long so its still not tightening the rings together
properly.

<[email protected]> wrote:

> Anyone any ideas where I can get hold of a single chainring bolt for my
> TA chainset (not sure what model it is, its 22/32/44 rings, looks quite
> modern)

Give Parker International a ring, they do a set of 5 for £11, and may
have a single one around:
http://www.parker-international.co.uk/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/2721/
groupID/3/categoryID/81/v/bdbf4c32-9fd9-496a-8f1d-b7eef93d5a2f

Alan.

A.Lee <alan@darkroom.+.com> wrote:

> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Anyone any ideas where I can get hold of a single chainring bolt for my
> > TA chainset (not sure what model it is, its 22/32/44 rings, looks quite
> > modern)

> Give Parker International a ring, they do a set of 5 for £11, and may
> have a single one around:

^
That should have been a 'single ring one around'.

> Anyone any ideas where I can get hold of a single chainring bolt for
> my TA chainset (not sure what model it is, its 22/32/44 rings, looks
> quite modern) - only place Ive found so far is Endinburh bicycle, but
> these are £8.95 plus p&p - dont really want to pay this for one bolt
> ! The bolt is fixing the middle to the outer chainring (one has come
> loose and fell out), and have tried some standard chainring bolts, but
> slightly too long so its still not tightening the rings together
> properly.

1. What length do you think is required? Someone reading this (or I) may
have one spare.

2. How about cutting/grinding/filing one of your bolts to fit?

3. Check eBay.

~PB

[email protected] wrote:
> Anyone any ideas where I can get hold of a single chainring bolt for my
> TA chainset (not sure what model it is, its 22/32/44 rings, looks quite
> modern) - only place Ive found so far is Endinburh bicycle, but these
> are £8.95 plus p&p - dont really want to pay this for one bolt !

Settle have them:
<url:http://www.settlecycles.co.uk/shop/options.asp?pid=2399>

So do SJS (searching for "bolts" will find a selection):
<url:http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm>

Either way, though, you'll probably end up paying more than you want to.

> The
> bolt is fixing the middle to the outer chainring (one has come loose
> and fell out), and have tried some standard chainring bolts, but
> slightly too long so its still not tightening the rings together
> properly.

I was thinking about buying some TA chainrings. Does this mean I might
have to buy new bolts as well? I hope not.

Subscribe to PlusNet <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/referral/>

Danny Colyer wrote:

> I was thinking about buying some TA chainrings. Does this mean I
> might have to buy new bolts as well? I hope not.

No alternative bolts have been required for any of the various TA rings
I've used with Campag cranks.

~PB

Pete Biggs wrote:
> No alternative bolts have been required for any of the various TA rings
> I've used with Campag cranks.

My current rings and cranks are probably Shimano (certainly not Campag,
anyway). The new cranks I'm looking at are sold by SJS and branded as
Thorn (note to self, must make sure I have a 113mm BB).

I've been assuming the bolts would all follow a single standard, but
then I assumed that 5-arm spiders would all follow a single standard
until I actually started investigating...

Danny Colyer wrote:

> Pete Biggs wrote:
> > No alternative bolts have been required for any of the various TA rings
> > I've used with Campag cranks.

> My current rings and cranks are probably Shimano (certainly not Campag,
> anyway). The new cranks I'm looking at are sold by SJS and branded as
> Thorn (note to self, must make sure I have a 113mm BB).

I have have recently replaced my Shimano rings on a 105 chainset with TA
rings and the original bolts worked perfectly.

John B

Danny Colyer wrote:

> I've been assuming the bolts would all follow a single standard

I'm sure they do (in terms of diameters and thread pitch), apart from
the length, which is inevitably dictated by the number of rings fitted.

David Belcher

John B wrote:
> I have have recently replaced my Shimano rings on a 105 chainset with TA
> rings and the original bolts worked perfectly.

Thanks John. The comments from you, Pete and David about bolts are
immensely reassuring when I'm thinking about buying new rings and cranks.

Danny Colyer wrote:

> John B wrote:
> > I have have recently replaced my Shimano rings on a 105 chainset with TA
> > rings and the original bolts worked perfectly.

> Thanks John. The comments from you, Pete and David about bolts are
> immensely reassuring when I'm thinking about buying new rings and cranks.

Glad to have been of help, and BTW TA rings are sooo much better than
Shimano's offerings.

John B