Chainring bolt for TA chainset

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by [email protected], May 10, 2006.

  1. Anyone any ideas where I can get hold of a single chainring bolt for my
    TA chainset (not sure what model it is, its 22/32/44 rings, looks quite
    modern) - only place Ive found so far is Endinburh bicycle, but these
    are £8.95 plus p&p - dont really want to pay this for one bolt ! The
    bolt is fixing the middle to the outer chainring (one has come loose
    and fell out), and have tried some standard chainring bolts, but
    slightly too long so its still not tightening the rings together
    properly.
     
    Tags:


  2. A.Lee

    A.Lee Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Anyone any ideas where I can get hold of a single chainring bolt for my
    > TA chainset (not sure what model it is, its 22/32/44 rings, looks quite
    > modern)


    Give Parker International a ring, they do a set of 5 for £11, and may
    have a single one around:
    http://www.parker-international.co.uk/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/2721/
    groupID/3/categoryID/81/v/bdbf4c32-9fd9-496a-8f1d-b7eef93d5a2f

    Alan.


    --
    To reply by e-mail, change the ' + ' to 'plus'.
     
  3. A.Lee

    A.Lee Guest

    A.Lee <[email protected]+.com> wrote:

    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Anyone any ideas where I can get hold of a single chainring bolt for my
    > > TA chainset (not sure what model it is, its 22/32/44 rings, looks quite
    > > modern)

    >
    > Give Parker International a ring, they do a set of 5 for £11, and may
    > have a single one around:

    ^
    That should have been a 'single ring one around'.

    --
    To reply by e-mail, change the ' + ' to 'plus'.
     
  4. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Anyone any ideas where I can get hold of a single chainring bolt for
    > my TA chainset (not sure what model it is, its 22/32/44 rings, looks
    > quite modern) - only place Ive found so far is Endinburh bicycle, but
    > these are £8.95 plus p&p - dont really want to pay this for one bolt
    > ! The bolt is fixing the middle to the outer chainring (one has come
    > loose and fell out), and have tried some standard chainring bolts, but
    > slightly too long so its still not tightening the rings together
    > properly.


    1. What length do you think is required? Someone reading this (or I) may
    have one spare.

    2. How about cutting/grinding/filing one of your bolts to fit?

    3. Check eBay.

    ~PB
     
  5. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Anyone any ideas where I can get hold of a single chainring bolt for my
    > TA chainset (not sure what model it is, its 22/32/44 rings, looks quite
    > modern) - only place Ive found so far is Endinburh bicycle, but these
    > are £8.95 plus p&p - dont really want to pay this for one bolt !


    Settle have them:
    <url:http://www.settlecycles.co.uk/shop/options.asp?pid=2399>

    So do SJS (searching for "bolts" will find a selection):
    <url:http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm>

    Either way, though, you'll probably end up paying more than you want to.

    > The
    > bolt is fixing the middle to the outer chainring (one has come loose
    > and fell out), and have tried some standard chainring bolts, but
    > slightly too long so its still not tightening the rings together
    > properly.


    I was thinking about buying some TA chainrings. Does this mean I might
    have to buy new bolts as well? I hope not.

    --
    Danny Colyer <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/>
    Subscribe to PlusNet <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/referral/>
    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine
     
  6. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Danny Colyer wrote:

    > I was thinking about buying some TA chainrings. Does this mean I
    > might have to buy new bolts as well? I hope not.


    No alternative bolts have been required for any of the various TA rings
    I've used with Campag cranks.

    ~PB
     
  7. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Pete Biggs wrote:
    > No alternative bolts have been required for any of the various TA rings
    > I've used with Campag cranks.


    My current rings and cranks are probably Shimano (certainly not Campag,
    anyway). The new cranks I'm looking at are sold by SJS and branded as
    Thorn (note to self, must make sure I have a 113mm BB).

    I've been assuming the bolts would all follow a single standard, but
    then I assumed that 5-arm spiders would all follow a single standard
    until I actually started investigating...

    --
    Danny Colyer <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/>
    Subscribe to PlusNet <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/referral/>
    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine
     
  8. John B

    John B Guest

    Danny Colyer wrote:

    > Pete Biggs wrote:
    > > No alternative bolts have been required for any of the various TA rings
    > > I've used with Campag cranks.

    >
    > My current rings and cranks are probably Shimano (certainly not Campag,
    > anyway). The new cranks I'm looking at are sold by SJS and branded as
    > Thorn (note to self, must make sure I have a 113mm BB).


    I have have recently replaced my Shimano rings on a 105 chainset with TA
    rings and the original bolts worked perfectly.

    John B
     
  9. Danny Colyer wrote:

    >
    > I've been assuming the bolts would all follow a single standard


    I'm sure they do (in terms of diameters and thread pitch), apart from
    the length, which is inevitably dictated by the number of rings fitted.

    David Belcher
     
  10. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    John B wrote:
    > I have have recently replaced my Shimano rings on a 105 chainset with TA
    > rings and the original bolts worked perfectly.


    Thanks John. The comments from you, Pete and David about bolts are
    immensely reassuring when I'm thinking about buying new rings and cranks.

    --
    Danny Colyer <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/>
    Subscribe to PlusNet <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/referral/>
    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine
     
  11. John B

    John B Guest

    Danny Colyer wrote:

    > John B wrote:
    > > I have have recently replaced my Shimano rings on a 105 chainset with TA
    > > rings and the original bolts worked perfectly.

    >
    > Thanks John. The comments from you, Pete and David about bolts are
    > immensely reassuring when I'm thinking about buying new rings and cranks.


    Glad to have been of help, and BTW TA rings are sooo much better than
    Shimano's offerings.

    John B
     
Loading...
Loading...