Chainring, cassette & chain lifespans?

zorly

Oct 5, 2006
How often do most replace their drivetrain parts?
Here, the chain is lubed and wiped down after every ride.
As a rule, over the last few years the chain is replaced about every 1200 miles max, and the cassette after 2 chains (or about 2500 miles max). Probably run the big chainring, at least, 5000 to 7500 miles before replacement.
One time 3 new chains or about 3000+ miles, where tried, on one cassette, but it never lined up quite right on that 3rd chain.
Anyhow, this became a habbit by trial and error and wonder how others approach this maintenance schedule.

Once again, search this forum. No need to re-invent the proverbial wheel with a new thread. Too many variables to come up with hard and fast mileage numbers.

It sounds as though you're doing fine, Zorly. It does depend upon a lot of things that are difficult to compare such as how much dirt and grit get into the chain and gears, what gears the rider chooses to be in, how well they shift or how well adjusted the derailleurs are, etc.

I just had my bike in the shop to get the bearings checked/repacked and they replaced the chain but the cassette was fine. This was at 2,000 miles. We'd checked the chain at 1,600 miles and it was still in the acceptable range.

zorly said:
How often do most replace their drivetrain parts?
Here, the chain is lubed and wiped down after every ride.
As a rule, over the last few years the chain is replaced about every 1200 miles max, and the cassette after 2 chains (or about 2500 miles max). Probably run the big chainring, at least, 5000 to 7500 miles before replacement.
One time 3 new chains or about 3000+ miles, where tried, on one cassette, but it never lined up quite right on that 3rd chain.
Anyhow, this became a habbit by trial and error and wonder how others approach this maintenance schedule.
I don't know what parts you're using, but that replacement schedule is ridiculous. A new chain every 1200 miles? That's about once a month! Did you use a chain stretch tool to determine this? Why are you changing the chains?
I have about 4500 miles on my last Wipperman Ten-speed chain, it shows no need for replacement. Cassettes should last years.

was it zinn that said lubeing a chain on the bike allows dirt to get into the busheings shortining chain life, and the chain should be removed from the bike degreased and re lubed.

overall Dirt is what kills your chain. if u cleaned it every ride you can expect more miles from the chain.... but getting the guage is the key.

capwater: if you are unsure or confused about why and how often you replace your parts just say so. No reason to insult the wheel. Granted, it is older than the chain and sproket, but it has happily evolved from stone (wood on the bicycle) to what we have today.
Obviously, there are no rock solid numbers, but with average care, the numbers will be somewhat similar for similar setups. Granted I am thinking about the average road bike here. MTB's, tandems, track bikes, cyclocross machines are subjected to many more variables than the average road bike could sustain.
Here, for example, most of the riding is done on the gulf coast of Florida in more TT type average gears, with lots of fine grit from the high sand content of the surrounding soil & of course the corrosive salt element also. To me the drivetrain and tires are like gold because they represent the lions share of ongoing expense with bicycling (besides being out riding instead of working), and in my case at least, cycling is not a cheap or frugal sport.
Often I have reseached ideas on drivetrain care (ie. lifespan), but will usually just find the generic answers such as slop a little lube on the chain at a specified interval and wipe it off with a rag maybe, or repalace the chain when 12 links have stretched to between 1/16 & 1/8 and inch. This is good, but kind of like measuring the remaining rubber left on the tire to determine a replacement time, instead of knowing all along that my tire should be good for about 2,000 miles at a certain pressure, and if something is way off, there may be something I can improve.
I was kind of hoping to hear how people get what they feel is the best life out of their drivetrain. Speaking in generalities of course. It is understandable that a custom titanium, or hollowed out driveline, or conversely, the 2 dollar Wal-Mart chain is going to be further removed from the average lifespans.
For example, I find that replacing the chain at around 1,200 miles, which is halfway through my average cassette life lends to a much smoother feeling driveline during its useful life vs replacing the chain and cassette as a pair. There is about a 50 mile settle in period for the second chain though, as it will skip a few times during that period. However, maybe someone knows better and I am wasting my money on that extra chain.
Also, as far as lubrication goes, ProGold has recently served me well as the general chain lube. It is lubricated after every ride. 1 drop is placed on each roller, and then the chain and chainring are lightly wiped down with a cloth. Also, a q-tip (takes about 4) is run between each of the larger gaps inside of the outer plates and rollers (there is not enough room between the inner plates). This takes about 10 minutes and uses about the same amount of oil as drippling it all along the chain. It is also a good time for a general inspection of the other parts in that area.
Anyhow, anyones experience would be appreciated.

Thank you "The Evil Twin" & "IEatRice4Dinner".
4500 miles! I am glad I asked this question.
Man, if I could do that, the money I would save would be astounding. It is one chain a month I use.
I have been using Shimano Ultegra cassettes and SRAM chains. Middle of the road, or better stuff. I put in 2 longer days a week in the country, but 135 miles or so needs to be done locally here in the city (Tampa, FL) because of time restraints. It is stop and go, from intersection to intersection, on those days. There is an intersection at minimum every 1/4 mile average, but I love these days for the sprint workouts. All this is done in three gears.
The chain will be about 1/16th out in a month, and if I don't replace it then, the cassette wears out about 1/3 faster. Granted, it is mainly about 2 cogs being worn out, with the others still in A1 shape at replacement time.
I will try removing the chain and degreasing. All my cleanings are done with it on the bike. Maybe, the never ending traffic light sprints contribute. Also, I am going to buy a good gauge now, instead of relying on measuring the links maunually. Many different lubricants have been tried, but wear remains about the same on my components. I went 3600 miles on a cassette recently (though 3 chains were replaced) and the cassette was so worn I swore I would never attempt that again.

zorly, I don't think your stop light sprints are wearing stuff out. Would instead bet on the beach sand and salt air. That's a "severe environment" for chains and cassettes.

I never take the chain off the bike to "degrease", since the new lube does a good job of flushing the old stuff and gunk out of the bushings. I mostly just wipe the chain, but use a "chaincleaner" machine and water-based cleaner a few times a year when I want the chain to look shiny. If I recall correctly, the Shimano package on my last replacement chain said not to use degreasing solvents anyway.

A $10 Park CC-3 gauge is a good investment vs the steel ruler. IMO. I have gotten 4-6K miles on SRAM chains before the Park gauge shows they are "stretched" to 0.75%. Last DA cassette went 10K miles before replacement. I use Prolink lube, one drop per bushing, about every 100-150 miles. But of course I'm not riding on the beach!

Measure your chain, Park tool is less than 20 bucks. No hard and fast numbers because riding style dictates much of it. 2k miles of easy tooling around vs. racing and hard training will wear differently. Anyone who replaces parts purely on mileage is just throwing money out the window.

I have a teammate who replaces tubes every 2k miles just to be "safe". He gives me his "old" tubes. haven't bought a new one in years!!! More of my money for beer and burritos .....

True, I doubt sprints are decreasing the life by any noticeable degree. Also, I use the ProLink by ProGold in a manner similiar to that described and really like that lube, so won't consider it the culprit since you get fine mileage out of your chain.
I now need to consider the best way to clean or degrease the chain, as that must be much more common than I suspected.
Lastly, I fear that it may be true that I have put myself into the habbit of replacing the driveline parts on a mileage schedule that may have been dictated by my observation of the wear over too short a time. In fact I believe those observations were made riding during the rainy season down here where it rains almost daily and washes the oil off and coats it with a nice layer of road grit.
The good news is that I keep nearly all used parts, so I should now have well over a years worth of chains, chain rings & cassettes on hand.
Thanks for the observations!
Cheers.