Chainring & chain Qs...

Merlin

Jun 14, 2002
Hello everyone,

On a Shimano 9-speed HG chain, is it standard to find the letters 'LF' engraved on random links?

Do these chainrings look new to you? They were fitted, the gears adjusted and the bike was then ridden around a parking lot in order to test the adjustment.

Thank you for your time. :)

FWIW. Based on the LACK of scuffing on the ramping on the inside face of the rings, the rings look "new" to me ...

I think, although this thought is based on a photo so I could be wrong, but the chainrings look worn to me, if I look closely I see some of the teeth look almost rounded instead of flat on top and others that are more pointed. I say the ring gears are worn, as far as the chain goes I can't tell unless I can measure the chain wear.

Thank you, Froze.

You've stated what I've been thinking... :|

These were apparently fitted as new to my bike this week. I caught the LBS swopping out my front derailleur for a cheapie and am now following up on the other parts that have been swopped out.

Originally Posted by Froze
I think, although this thought is based on a photo so I could be wrong, but the chainrings look worn to me, if I look closely I see some of the teeth look almost rounded instead of flat on top and others that are more pointed. I say the ring gears are worn, as far as the chain goes I can't tell unless I can measure the chain wear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin .
Thank you, Froze.

You've stated what I've been thinking... :|

These were apparently fitted as new to my bike this week. I caught the LBS swopping out my front derailleur for a cheapie (.ie.: theft) and am now following up on the other parts that have been swopped out.

I cannot speak to the issue of your front derailleur ... When you brought your bike in, what did you ask them to do beyond changing the tyres?

What work-and-parts did they charge you for?

And, how much did they charge you?
FWIW. The lack of a consistent tooth profile should not be a concern, per se ... Also, Shimano is constantly changing the tooth profile on their chainrings ... Here are pics of an unused 10-speed Shimano Road (Ultegra) outer chainring which you can use for reference ...

As you can hopefully see, the profile of the teeth is variable. BTW. I think I have an unused Mega-9 MTB chainring around here, somewhere (?!?) ... they may NOT be exactly the same because I don't think they are "stamped" rings.

Hi alfeng,

The job was to fit a new set of chainrings and a new cassette.

The bike was handed in with a new, unused chain.

I'm not sure where in the world you are, so I'm not sure if the relative cost will help the thread much, if at all?

Thank you for the photos and info'. I will certainly keep it in mind.

I intend on visiting additional stores in the area in order to get some additional opinions, from 'professionals', for the sake of my argument.

Kind regards.

Originally Posted by Merlin
Hi alfeng,

The job was to fit a new set of chainrings and a new cassette.

The bike was handed in with a new, unused chain.

I'm not sure where in the world you are, so I'm not sure if the relative cost will help the thread much, if at all?

Thank you for the photos and info'. I will certainly keep it in mind.

I intend on visiting additional stores in the area in order to get some additional opinions, from 'professionals', for the sake of my argument.

Kind regards.
I think that would be a good idea, get another opinion, they do look odd in the pics supplied by Alfeng so maybe that's the way they're suppose to look? I looked at mine and the inside chainring has flatted tops but the outside one, the one I use 100% of the time looks worn like what yours looks like. So take it to another LBS for an opinion. I hope mine isn't worn because that ring only has 4200 miles and if their worn already then those are crappy Shimano ring gears because all my other ring gears have lasted 4 times as long!