Chainring/Drivetrain replacement

Karlo

May 12, 2003
For the first time ever, I'm thinking of replacing my drivetrain. Unfortuneately, I've waited so long that my chain is very worn, and I doubt that the new chain will fit the cassette. The question is: will I have to replace the chainrings too, or do those wear slower.

Also, will this improve the shifting, as it seems to have deteriorated lately?

Thanks

Originally posted by Karlo
For the first time ever, I'm thinking of replacing my drivetrain. Unfortuneately, I've waited so long that my chain is very worn, and I doubt that the new chain will fit the cassette. The question is: will I have to replace the chainrings too, or do those wear slower.

Thanks
Deteriorated shifting can be lots of things. A badly worn chain will aslo trash a casette. Chainrings last longer. You could save money by buying a good maintenance book or spending some some at the repair section at www.parktool.com

Originally posted by Karlo

Thanks

Generally the chainrings will wear more slowly, but there is a limit! If the profiles of the chainrings are noticably worn (shark fin profile) then they may need to be replaced. Suggest you try the new chain on, and if it fits the profile well, then you should be OK. In any case you don't need to buy original equipment replacements, you could try some of the aftermarket replacements which are cheaper.

Take a look at

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

for more info.