Chainring grinding service (creation of chainring guards for cyclocross and single speed use)

RobCam

Guest
Does anyone know of a service where one can get chainrings converted
into chainring guards? I realize that new chainring guards can be
purchased for about $30+ each, but it would be nice to just convert
some of the old worn out rings that are sitting around my shop.

Yea its called your grinder!! Grind off the teeth and you have a home mad
Bash ring.I have done this for my downhill buddies.Using old rings and
longer ring bolts.These are hard to find some times.

--
J/O TrailBlazer At Large!!

OK - So I don't have a grinder. Does anyone know of a place that will
do this for a fee? Seems like a good money making scheme for someone.
At $30+ for new chainring guards, a price of $20 per ring mod would be
great. Shipping wouldn't be much. Any takers?

On 23 Jul 2005 19:19:39 -0700, "RobCam" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>OK - So I don't have a grinder. Does anyone know of a place that will
>do this for a fee? Seems like a good money making scheme for someone.
>At $30+ for new chainring guards, a price of $20 per ring mod would be
>great. Shipping wouldn't be much. Any takers?

Dear Rob,

You might consider buying a plain 6" grinding wheel like
this for about $40 with tax if there's Harbor Freight store
near you:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=90003

Bolt it to a table, add a wire brush wheel, and it can be
awfully useful.

Here's a page to find outlets, state by state.

If there aren't any near you, shipping can be expensive, but
it's likely that there's a low-cost tool store near you.

Otherwise, just ask around. For some form of liquid
refreshment costing much less than $20 and your wide-eyed
admiration, your circle of acquaintances is likely to
include someone with a bench grinder who's not afraid to use
it on a helpless chain ring.

Carl Fogel

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 23:22:52 -0600, [email protected]
wrote:

>On 23 Jul 2005 19:19:39 -0700, "RobCam" <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>
>>OK - So I don't have a grinder. Does anyone know of a place that will
>>do this for a fee? Seems like a good money making scheme for someone.
>>At $30+ for new chainring guards, a price of $20 per ring mod would be
>>great. Shipping wouldn't be much. Any takers?

>Dear Rob,
>
>You might consider buying a plain 6" grinding wheel like
>this for about $40 with tax if there's Harbor Freight store
>near you:
>
>http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=90003
>
>Bolt it to a table, add a wire brush wheel, and it can be
>awfully useful.
>
>Here's a page to find outlets, state by state.
>
>If there aren't any near you, shipping can be expensive, but
>it's likely that there's a low-cost tool store near you.
>
>Otherwise, just ask around. For some form of liquid
>refreshment costing much less than $20 and your wide-eyed
>admiration, your circle of acquaintances is likely to
>include someone with a bench grinder who's not afraid to use
>it on a helpless chain ring.
>
>Carl Fogel

Oops--here's the missing state-by-state store locator:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/retail_stores.taf

CF

RobCam wrote:

> OK - So I don't have a grinder. Does anyone know of a place that will
> do this for a fee? Seems like a good money making scheme for someone.
> At $30+ for new chainring guards, a price of $20 per ring mod would be
> great. Shipping wouldn't be much. Any takers?

Most chainrings are aluminum, not steel. Aluminum won't burn
on a grindwheel and in fact trying that may be unsafe as
aluminum or brass can load up on the wheel and cause
catastrophic failure. (pieces of stone flying out from 1760
rpm). I have never seen that happen but it's mentioned in
two machining texts.

If you want to trim a chainring, try a file. It shouldn't
take long. I'll gladly file your teeth away for $20!!

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 23:40:36 -0500, A Muzi <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Aluminum won't burn
>on a grindwheel and in fact trying that may be unsafe as
>aluminum or brass can load up on the wheel and cause
>catastrophic failure. (pieces of stone flying out from 1760
>rpm). I have never seen that happen but it's mentioned in
>two machining texts.

Another hazard: If a bench grinder's wheel is used for both iron and
aluminum, a deposit of mixed metal dusts will be laid down in the area
of the tool rest. This mixed powder, when created intentionally, goes
by the name "thermite", and if ignited it can burn the shield off the
grinder in short order. Ignition can occur as a result of sparks
flying off the wheel when a piece of iron or steel is being ground.

I've seen that happen.

Thermite is nasty stuff. A soda can full of it placed on the hood of
a car and ignited will melt its way *through* the engine. When it
hits the oil pan, things get really interesting.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

"Werehatrack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 23:40:36 -0500, A Muzi <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > Aluminum won't burn
> >on a grindwheel and in fact trying that may be unsafe as
> >aluminum or brass can load up on the wheel and cause
> >catastrophic failure. (pieces of stone flying out from 1760
> >rpm). I have never seen that happen but it's mentioned in
> >two machining texts.

> Another hazard: If a bench grinder's wheel is used for both iron and
> aluminum, a deposit of mixed metal dusts will be laid down in the area
> of the tool rest. This mixed powder, when created intentionally, goes
> by the name "thermite", and if ignited it can burn the shield off the
> grinder in short order. Ignition can occur as a result of sparks
> flying off the wheel when a piece of iron or steel is being ground.

Would removing the teeth on a lathe not be quicker, more convenient and
with a cleaner result then with a grinder?

Lou

I have spoken with someone who has a lathe and could set this up (hack
a right crank arm, mount a BB spindle to a lathe, cut away the teeth).

The question is whether there is sufficient interest to make this worth
our time.

Please reply directly if you would like to have a chainring converted
to a chainring guard using the method outlined above.

I have spoken with someone who has a lathe and could set this up (hack
a right crank arm, mount a BB spindle to a lathe, cut away the teeth).

The question is whether there is sufficient interest to make this worth
our time.

Please reply directly if you would like to have a chainring converted
to a chainring guard using the method outlined above.

I have spoken with someone who has a lathe and could set this up (hack
a right crank arm, mount a BB spindle to a lathe, cut away the teeth).

The question is whether there is sufficient interest to make this worth
our time.

Please reply directly if you would like to have a chainring converted
to a chainring guard using the method outlined above.

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:34:21 +0200, "Lou Holtman"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Would removing the teeth on a lathe not be quicker, more convenient and
>with a cleaner result then with a grinder?

If you have a lathe, sure.

Bench grinders are a lot more common, though.
--

Werehatrack <[email protected]> writes:

>Thermite is nasty stuff. A soda can full of it placed on the hood of
>a car and ignited will melt its way *through* the engine. When it
>hits the oil pan, things get really interesting.

I presume you speak from personal experience?

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

Werehatrack <[email protected]> writes:

>Thermite is nasty stuff. A soda can full of it placed on the hood of
>a car and ignited will melt its way *through* the engine. When it
>hits the oil pan, things get really interesting.

I presume you speak from personal experience?

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

Werehatrack <[email protected]> writes:

>Thermite is nasty stuff. A soda can full of it placed on the hood of
>a car and ignited will melt its way *through* the engine. When it
>hits the oil pan, things get really interesting.

I presume you speak from personal experience?

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

Werehatrack <[email protected]> writes:

>Thermite is nasty stuff. A soda can full of it placed on the hood of
>a car and ignited will melt its way *through* the engine. When it
>hits the oil pan, things get really interesting.

I presume you speak from personal experience?

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 07:24:44 GMT, Werehatrack <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Thermite is nasty stuff. A soda can full of it placed on the hood of
>a car and ignited will melt its way *through* the engine. When it
>hits the oil pan, things get really interesting.

You sound like you speak from experience.

Jasper