Chainring - have I got this backwards?

fred knieman

Guest
Hi ab all

Short version.
Shouldn't the side of a chainring with the manufacturer's name on it
point outward? My new middle won't fit that way. Am I, or is the ring
being stoopid? (ps: ok, ok, "both" is the obvious answer...)

Long-winded version.
Chain had started regularly skipping on middle chaninring, so I shelled
out for new running gear. And got great service and good price from LBS
BSC, etc etc.

I had a choice between buying a $ 60 or so Blackspire chaninring or a $
32 or so Shimoano one (I only needed to replace the middle one.) The
Blackspire one just had uniform teeth, the Shimoano one had the
differently shaped exit teeth and the usual bumps and lumps... and also
4 steel ramps near 4 out of 5 the bolt-holes. Fine, I thought, there's
$ 30 towards the new Lakes fund.

(I briefly looked for a pic. Closest I could find is this:
http://www.mtbstore.com/product_images04/Shimano-Chainrings-CR00328.jpg
.. It's a 9/10 sp 110/74 bcd and mine's 7/8 94/58. It's only got two
ramps, and they're not visible, but you can see the rivets holding them
on on the top ond bottowm of the ring.)

Anyway, the ramps are on the side which has the name. (Also the other
side has the teeth flush with the alu, whereas the side with the ramps
has the alu cut back from the teeth.) I assumed that because of this,
and that the ramps were there to assiist changing from middle to big
ring, this was the side that faced outwards. Except when I tried to put
it on the crank, two of the ramps got in the way of the crank arms (FSA
170s, for my little legs). Fitted fine, but I'm pretty sure I've got
the middle chainring round the wrong way. (ps: I picked the old ring
out of the "to be hard rubbished" bin just to check out what was going
on this time last year... and noticed underneath all the black oily
grunk were steel ramps, facing inwards!!!)

Have I got things ****-around (yet) again?

***

Bruce

fred knieman wrote:

> (I briefly looked for a pic. Closest I could find is this:
> http://www.mtbstore.com/product_images04/Shimano-Chainrings-CR00328.jpg
> . It's a 9/10 sp 110/74 bcd and mine's 7/8 94/58. It's only got two
> ramps, and they're not visible, but you can see the rivets holding them
> on on the top ond bottowm of the ring.)

Originally these ramps (and bumps) pointed towards inside of the
crankset and picked up the chain when changing gear from small chainring.

--
Best regards,
Rado bladteth Rzeznicki

Ramps face smaller ring - ie: inwards.

Either visit BSC again or quick trip down to Abbotsford Cycles should sort this out.

Heya Resound, RbRzez, and cfsmtb,

Listen: Billy Pilgrim has become unstuck in time.

Ooops...

Listen: huge thanks for the replies - thx 2 u guys, I don't have to
catch public transport or drive the geriatric volvo to work tomorrow.

***
Bruce (aka whatever I was called before)

ps: cfsmtb. BSC sold me the parts, so who am I to argue? And if I
stuck 'em on backwards, I prolly wouldn't notice anyway. So there!

pps: cfsmtb, again. Nik Kershaw apparently appeared on some Old Skool
retro-electro-something record in 1999 or so...
"What do we want?" "High-waisted baggy grey pants for short guys!"
"When do we want it?" "1983!"

fred knieman said:
pps: cfsmtb, again. Nik Kershaw apparently appeared on some Old Skool
retro-electro-something record in 1999 or so...
"What do we want?" "High-waisted baggy grey pants for short guys!"
"When do we want it?" "1983!"

Well, I'm over the whole 80's thing now, too fashionable. But was told a amazing tale about the ex-drummer of Jethro Tull, while I was helping out with on an Audax Checkpoint. Apparentely now he's a mad, repeat mad, endurance cyclist who lives only on milk.

(Chainring works fine, btw)

cfsmtb wrote:
> fred knieman Wrote:
>> <snip> Nik Kershaw <snip> in 1999 or so...

> Well, I'm over the whole 80's thing now, too fashionable.

Cookie-cutter plastic singers doing "Total Eclipse of the Heart", "What
about Me", and too many others to mention... What next - an R'n'B cover
of 'Australiana?' ("Where can, hmm-mm woah yeah, Masu pee, whoo-hoo
baby, Al?")
Hey, but cheer up - the worst thing that could happen is, say, two
teenage Russian pseudo-lavender-ladies doing "How Soon is Now?" for
Eurovision... (and that was two years ago.... ooooops....)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh... They've stolen the vacuous pop
music of my youth, and I can't even claim the 5 cent deposit on the
bottle in South Australia...

It's just not right.
I blame Frente! for starting it with doing a completely wooden cover of
"Bizarre Love Triangle"...

> But was told
> a amazing tale about the ex-drummer of Jethro Tull, while I was helping
> out with on an Audax Checkpoint. Apparentely now he's a mad, repeat mad,
> endurance cyclist who lives only on milk.

OMG/WTF/DUDL* !!!

There was an a.b thread that finished with exactly this qn left hanging:
http://www.google.com.au/groups?hl=....288%24rd3.6870%40nnrp1.ozemail.com.au&rnum=1

http://www.google.com.au/groups?as_...mages&as_ugroup=aus.bicycle&lr=&num=100&hl=en

Now all we need (to get back on topic) is his name, and what kind of
bikes he rides :) ...

***
Bruce fka fred aka pete

* "DUDL" is a mutant acronym meaning "down under desk laughing" that is
trying to be popularized [sic] by some of my my fellow workers in A
Certain Australian Government Agency... It's a job...

the Bruce formerly known as fred kneeman said:
(Chainring works fine, btw)

cfsmtb wrote:
> fred knieman Wrote:
>> <snip> Nik Kershaw <snip> in 1999 or so...

> Well, I'm over the whole 80's thing now, too fashionable.

Cookie-cutter plastic singers doing "Total Eclipse of the Heart", "What
about Me", and too many others to mention... What next - an R'n'B cover
of 'Australiana?' ("Where can, hmm-mm woah yeah, Masu pee, whoo-hoo
baby, Al?")
Hey, but cheer up - the worst thing that could happen is, say, two
teenage Russian pseudo-lavender-ladies doing "How Soon is Now?" for
Eurovision... (and that was two years ago.... ooooops....)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh... They've stolen the vacuous pop
music of my youth, and I can't even claim the 5 cent deposit on the
bottle in South Australia...

It's just not right.
I blame Frente! for starting it with doing a completely wooden cover of
"Bizarre Love Triangle"...

> But was told
> a amazing tale about the ex-drummer of Jethro Tull, while I was helping
> out with on an Audax Checkpoint. Apparentely now he's a mad, repeat mad,
> endurance cyclist who lives only on milk.

OMG/WTF/DUDL* !!!

There was an a.b thread that finished with exactly this qn left hanging:
http://www.google.com.au/groups?hl=....288%24rd3.6870%40nnrp1.ozemail.com.au&rnum=1

http://www.google.com.au/groups?as_...mages&as_ugroup=aus.bicycle&lr=&num=100&hl=en

Now all we need (to get back on topic) is his name, and what kind of
bikes he rides :) ...

***
Bruce fka fred aka pete

* "DUDL" is a mutant acronym meaning "down under desk laughing" that is
trying to be popularized [sic] by some of my my fellow workers in A
Certain Australian Government Agency... It's a job...
DUD . . . DS (doing something) . . .

BSC - yes - only one good mechanic there, and he does 70% of all the work, whilst the others hang about fondling red anodised parts and wanking on to their mates . . . very strange shop on the inside . . .

and the acronym obviously gets used as ********(ting) Cycles, Cretins, what you will.

M "just spoiling for a fight" H

mfhor wrote:
<silly stuff snipped>

> DUD . . . DS (doing something) . . .

Or in my case, SADAFOJ*
(* sitting at desk applying for other jobs... it's sorta a good job for
that, so no arguments there)

> BSC - yes - only one good mechanic there, and he does 70% of all the
> work,

Which one is he? I guess he was prolly the bloke that helped me out this
time, the last time, and the time before that... (i would say "which
one is *he/she*, but umm, well... there's a really cool bike shop in
North Melbourne where the one of the bike-ladies *slapped* my big little
bro for whinging 'bout how he skinny-assed lugged Reynolds road frames
kep' crackin' down-tubes and BB pipes (because of he jumpin' kerbs and,
umm, other stuff that racing steel frames ain't made fo') put he ass on
a TIG-welded O/S frame, and... umm, where was I?)
.... so no arguments there.

> whilst the others hang about fondling red anodised parts and
> wanking on to their mates . . .

Hey, listen, if I worked at a bike shop, and there was a guy that did
70% of the work, I *know* I'd be fondling the red anodised parts of my
mates, and ****... umm, I don't think I wrote exactly what I was trying
to say, but you get what I mean. So no arguments there.

very strange shop on the inside . . .

Yep. There's fairly high-end stuff and also stoopid low-rider bikes...
I get all kinds of funny feelings in my shoulders and wrists watching
the crashes on the BMX videos while the folks at BSC run around getting
me commuter-y stuff that they prolly aren't paid to do (maybe).
And while I've been rummaging around in the Bargain Bins, I've seen
folks sold $ 2 000 bikes they'll ride once and then let rust outside the
garage in Micham or Narre Warren, in about the same time it took full-on
shaved roadies to by shaved roadie stuff and hard-core fixie types buy
.... well, whatever those feral fixie types buy...
Yep: very Brunswick St kind of BmX-bAnDiT meets Glen Waverley shopper
feeling inside. So no arguments there.

> and the acronym obviously gets used as ********(ting) Cycles, Cretins,
> what you will.

Beat Shimano Conspiracy? (yeah, I wish...)
Bicycle Sucks Cash!
Burn Savings Cycling!
(And this is where we started:) Buy Some Chainrings!
Yep, no arguments there...

> M "just spoiling for a fight" H

(I tried to get a feud going a few months ago, but I can't find it on
Google Groups... so... ummm...)
OK, here goes:

- You use "Mr Tuffy" rim tape, but your main bike still has a flat tyre.
Ha ha on you!

- You think "The New Seekers" are more cool than the original "The
Seekers"! You obviously aren't cool enough to have heard the story
about how Keith Richards fell in complete puppy-love with Judith
Durham... Ha ha on you!

- Cartridge bottom brackets are for big sissies *like you* who don't
know how the correct way to use "vice-grips" and those funny spanners
one with two teeny hex-head bolts and the other with the funny
oval-square shape on one end and the open-head with one big tooth on the
on the other (the correct way being: fiddling about with them for an
hour and a half while listening to the cricket, then throwing whichever
spanner is closest at the bike and yelling, f#&k it, I'm driving to
work tomorrow)

- Cartridge headsets are for big sissies *like you* who don't... [see
above - different tools, same outcome]

- You think "Aqualung" means a kind self-contained breathing apparatus
instead of a double LP by a 70s prog-rock band named after some
character in a Charles Dickens novel who probably would have use "Mr
Tuffy" rim tape if pneumatic tyres had been invented then, and

ah, good night... and good feudin'!

bakapakafn