Chainring replacement

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tekbuf, Aug 11, 2003.

  1. Tekbuf

    Tekbuf Guest

    I have a Sugino Impel crankset. The middle chainring has a bent tooth and cannot be straightened. I
    need to replace it. I dont see Sugino chainrings when I look at the online catalogs. I know it is a
    32 tooth ring. This is for a Gary fisher Joshua X0 mountain bike. How do I buy a replacement ring?
    Can I put a Shimano chainring in there without adverse affects? Are there good chainrings at a lower
    cost? Any recommended sources? Can I replace this myself? Thanx.

    --
    rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
    the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:

    Tags:

  2. dlj0

    dlj0 Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (TekBu
    f) writes:
    >I have a Sugino Impel crankset. The middle chainring has a bent tooth and cannot be straightened. I
    >need to replace it. I dont see Sugino chainrings when I look at the online catalogs. I know it is a
    >32 tooth ring. This is for a Gary fisher Joshua X0 mountain bike. How do I buy a replacement ring?
    >Can I put a Shimano chainring in there without adverse affects? Are there good chainrings at a
    >lower cost? Any recommended sources? Can I replace this myself? Thanx.

    It's a standard, I presume, 94mm 5-arm crank, just like mine. There are bunches of different brands
    available cheap. You can usually get a ring for this in the $10-$15 range. Nashbar has some, but
    some of the lesser-known sites have better prices, such as Alfred E. Bike.

    David L. Johnson Department of Mathematics Lehigh University

    > I have a Sugino Impel crankset. The middle chainring has a bent tooth and cannot be straightened.
    > I need to replace it. I dont see Sugino chainrings when I look at the online catalogs. I know it
    > is a 32 tooth ring. This is for a Gary fisher Joshua X0 mountain bike. How do I buy a replacement
    > ring? Can I put a Shimano chainring in there without adverse affects? Are there good chainrings at
    > a lower cost? Any recommended sources? Can I replace this myself? Thanx.
    >
    > --
    > rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or
    > contact the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
    > http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

    What you need to know is how many bolts on the ring and measure the distance between the centers of
    two adjacent rings. Thi sis the Bolt Dead Center measurment. some Sugino ring shave been
    discontinued and will be impossible to find. I beleive they were 94mm by 4 bolts.
    --
    _________________________

    rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
    the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
    http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

  4. [email protected] schreef ...

    > What you need to know is how many bolts on the ring and measure the distance between the centers
    > of two adjacent rings. Thi sis the Bolt Dead Center measurment. ...

    BCD or Bolt Center Diameter

    > ... some Sugino ring shave been discontinued and will be impossible to find. I beleive they were
    > 94mm by 4 bolts.

    For which size about 50 different companies market chainrings ......

    --
    Regards, Marten

    --

  5. [email protected] (TekBuf) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have a Sugino Impel crankset. The middle chainring has a bent tooth and cannot be straightened.
    > I need to replace it. I dont see Sugino chainrings when I look at the online catalogs. I know it
    > is a 32 tooth ring. This is for a Gary fisher Joshua X0 mountain bike. How do I buy a replacement
    > ring? Can I put a Shimano chainring in there without adverse affects? Are there good chainrings at
    > a lower cost? Any recommended sources? Can I replace this myself? Thanx.

    If you have a riveted crankset then you cannot easily replace individual rings. Looking at
    http://shop.airbomb.com/site/intro.cfm?PageID=37&SKU=CR8890 the Sugino Impel is described as riveted
    so, unless yours is different, you cannot readily remove individual rings. You need a new crankset.
    Be sure to get one with replaceable chainrings as it gives much more flexibility in adjusting
    gearing and maintenance in future.

    You could file down the tooth to a sensible profile as an interim measure. One low tooth won't hurt
    much - look at tooth profiles of many chainrings and you will see odd low tooths to aid shifting -
    it might even be better ;-)

    If your rings are not riveted in place, but are fixed by sleeved hex bolts then any ring that fits
    will work.

    Rings are sold by numbers of arms on crank (4 or 5) and BCD or bolt circle diameter of the fixing
    bolts. Remove the old ring and measure the BCD and away you go.

    I find it easiest to lay the old ring on a sheet of paper, and mark the position of the bolt holes.
    I then use a compass to draw a circle through them and measure that.

    Sheldon Brown has tablulated distance between bolt hole centres for different BCDs if you find that
    easier (see http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_bo-z.html).

    Andrew Webster

    --
    rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
    the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
    http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

  6. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > [email protected] schreef ...
    >
    > > What you need to know is how many bolts on the ring and measure the distance between the centers
    > > of two adjacent rings. Thi sis the Bolt Dead Center measurment. ...
    >
    > BCD or Bolt Center Diameter
    >
    > > ... some Sugino ring shave been discontinued and will be impossible to find. I beleive they were
    > > 94mm by 4 bolts.
    >
    > For which size about 50 different companies market chainrings ......

    Find me one, please.
    --
    _________________________

    rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
    the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
    http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

  7. [email protected] schreef ...
    > > [email protected] schreef ...
    > >
    > > > What you need to know is how many bolts on the ring and measure the distance between the
    > > > centers of two adjacent rings. Thi sis the Bolt Dead Center measurment. ...
    > >
    > > BCD or Bolt Center Diameter
    > >
    > > > ... some Sugino ring shave been discontinued and will be impossible to find. I beleive they
    > > > were 94mm by 4 bolts.
    > >
    > > For which size about 50 different companies market chainrings ......
    > >

    > Find me one, please.

    Sorry, I remembered 94 mm as being the outer BCD of a bog standard Compact crankset. It is,
    actually, but those have 5-arm rings. Are you sure Sugino had a 94mm/4-arm?

    Anyway, Sugino's Impel 100, 120 and 150 were riveted, the 280 and 300 models were 104/58 mm 4-arm
    models. Say the Sugino website at: http://www2.odn.ne.jp/suginoltd/index.html (you can choose the
    crankset models from the drop-down box in the left upper-hand corner)

    --
    Regards, Marten

    --
    rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
    the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
    http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

  8. > > > BCD or Bolt Center Diameter

    > > > For which size about 50 different companies market chainrings ......
    > > >

    > > Find me one, please.
    >
    > Sorry, I remembered 94 mm as being the outer BCD of a bog standard Compact crankset. It is,
    > actually, but those have 5-arm rings. Are you sure Sugino had a 94mm/4-arm?

    Yes, freaky isn't it. I don't know why anyone would buck the standard but they did and then
    abandoned it. One or two years of Specialized cranksets came this way and now I have to break the
    bad news to each customer as they come in looking for replacment rings.
    --
    _________________________

    rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
    the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
    http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

  9. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On 12 Aug 2003 11:10:05 GMT, Andrew Webster <[email protected]> wrote:
    > If you have a riveted crankset then you cannot easily replace individual rings. Looking at

    I've often wondered why it's viewed as impossible to remove the rivets and replace them with bolts.

    Although I concede that it's often impractical, given the usual quality of riveted cranksets.

    --
    Rick Onanian

    --
    rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
    the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
    http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

  10. [email protected] schreef ...

    > > > Find me one, please.
    > >
    > > Sorry, I remembered 94 mm as being the outer BCD of a bog standard Compact crankset. It is,
    > > actually, but those have 5-arm rings. Are you sure Sugino had a 94mm/4-arm?
    >
    > Yes, freaky isn't it. I don't know why anyone would buck the standard but they did and then
    > abandoned it. One or two years of Specialized cranksets came this way and now I have to break the
    > bad news to each customer as they come in looking for replacment rings.

    On the other hand: a complete crankset in similar quality costs roughly the same as a set of
    replacement rings for any other crankest, doesn't it?

    --
    Regards, Marten

    --
    rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
    the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
    http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

  11. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Chris Phillipo wrote:

    >>>Find me one, please.
    >>
    >>Sorry, I remembered 94 mm as being the outer BCD of a bog standard Compact crankset. It is,
    >>actually, but those have 5-arm rings. Are you sure Sugino had a 94mm/4-arm?
    >

    > Yes, freaky isn't it. I don't know why anyone would buck the standard but they did and then
    > abandoned it. One or two years of Specialized cranksets came this way and now I have to break the
    > bad news to each customer as they come in looking for replacment rings.

    Isn't that what Shimano does every couple of years? Isn't that why we have so many "standard" sizes?

    David

    --
    rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
    the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
    http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

  12. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    > >>Sorry, I remembered 94 mm as being the outer BCD of a bog standard Compact crankset. It is,
    > >>actually, but those have 5-arm rings. Are you sure Sugino had a 94mm/4-arm?
    > >

    > > Yes, freaky isn't it. I don't know why anyone would buck the standard but they did and then
    > > abandoned it. One or two years of Specialized cranksets came this way and now I have to break
    > > the bad news to each customer as they come in looking for replacment rings.
    >
    > Isn't that what Shimano does every couple of years? Isn't that why we have so many
    > "standard" sizes?
    >
    > David

    Ya, but at least Shimano shoves so much product out there there's a good supply of parts for about
    a decade :)
    --