Chainring replacement

ehavanero

Jul 12, 2005
I recently bought a bike that came equiped with an FSA Gossamer compact crank. I don't want to invest in a new crank right now but since I live in Florida where it's pretty flat I would like larger chain rings. Can they be replaced?

Robert

ehavanero said:
I recently bought a bike that came equiped with an FSA Gossamer compact crank. I don't want to invest in a new crank right now but since I live in Florida where it's pretty flat I would like larger chain rings. Can they be replaced?

Robert
Yeah.........110 BCD... a no brainer.

ehavanero said:

Robert
From your question, I'm guessing you're kinda new to this cycling stuff? Being a compact crankset, you can get replacement ring just about anywhere. A 38/52 tooth or 38/54 tooth set of rings can help increase your speed. Just make sure you adjust the height of your front derailleur to allow for the size increase. Boudreaux is rude to everyone and basically has no manners whatsoever. The rest of us are nicer, so don't let his 'no brainer' remark get to you. Welcome to the forum.:)

shannons dad said:
........ so don't let his 'no brainer' remark get to you.
......and some are real veterans when it comes to the no brainer part.

boudreaux said:
......and some are real veterans when it comes to the no brainer part.
You must wonder what life would have been like if you'd had enough oxygen at birth.

shannons dad said:
You must wonder what life would have been like if you'd had enough oxygen at birth.
Okay,Okay, Okay:D :D :D Stop it guys.... I'm trying to eat lunch and I can't stop laughing. :D :D :D

LW

shannons dad said:
From your question, I'm guessing you're kinda new to this cycling stuff? Being a compact crankset, you can get replacement ring just about anywhere. A 38/52 tooth or 38/54 tooth set of rings can help increase your speed. Just make sure you adjust the height of your front derailleur to allow for the size increase. Boudreaux is rude to everyone and basically has no manners whatsoever. The rest of us are nicer, so don't let his 'no brainer' remark get to you. Welcome to the forum.:)
Actually I've come to like boudreaux's short and factual answers; they provide refreshing contrast to the more numerous vague responses and ramblings. In just a few words, he conveyed that 110 mm BCD larger rings are widely available.

Also, don't see the no-brainer remark as rude at all. Here in the US, a "no-brainer" is just slang for something very easy.

As for oxygen, I often wonder what life would be like if I had enough oxygen while riding. Now I'm wondering if perhaps routine O2 deprivation hasn't gotten to many of us....at least us old guys who've been riding for too many decades.

dhk said:
Actually I've come to like boudreaux's short and factual answers; they provide refreshing contrast to the more numerous vague responses and ramblings. In just a few words, he conveyed that 110 mm BCD larger rings are widely available.

Also, don't see the no-brainer remark as rude at all. Here in the US, a "no-brainer" is just slang for something very easy.

As for oxygen, I often wonder what life would be like if I had enough oxygen while riding. Now I'm wondering if perhaps routine O2 deprivation hasn't gotten to many of us....at least us old guys who've been riding for too many decades.
Well fair enough. I'll agree that he does sometimes know his stuff, but how many newish bikers know what BCD stands for. I don't, and I've been cycling the best part of 25 years. If someone gave me an answer that short and then added, 'it's a no brainer', I'd consider it rude. I'm not alone in thinking the ****** needs to learn some manners. I'm not one for putting others down, but boy does he ask for it.:D

shannons dad said:
I'm not alone in thinking the ****** needs to learn some manners.
A new word you picked up at the pre school playground?...LOL... :rolleyes:

shannons dad said:
... but how many newish bikers know what BCD stands for. I don't, and I've been cycling the best part of 25 years.
:rolleyes: Cycling for 25 years and don't know what BCD stands for yet serving up drivel and blather....uh,er, I mean cycling 'advice' on the internet??...LOL...

shannons dad said:
Well fair enough. I'll agree that he does sometimes know his stuff, but how many newish bikers know what BCD stands for. I don't, and I've been cycling the best part of 25 years. If someone gave me an answer that short and then added, 'it's a no brainer', I'd consider it rude. I'm not alone in thinking the ****** needs to learn some manners. I'm not one for putting others down, but boy does he ask for it.:D
Maybe it is the alcohol thinking for me, but I swear you said in another post you were only 29 years old and smoke a pack of cigs a day. So while you may have been riding your cool mtn bike on the bike path around the lake with the kids on roller skates since you were 4 yrs old perhaps you should consider that maybe most real cyclists that know a little about bikes would know what BCD was and if they didn't it isn't that big of a deal to have someone be condescending to you. Boudreaux knows what he is talking about 98% of the time, and is an asshole 100% of the time, but at least that is consistant... if you want manners go the the ballet. BTW I am an asshole 98% of the time and right only about 96% of the time so I still have a ways to go.

A link to the FSA Importer's web page: http://www.scvimports.com.au/ Where he can find 110bcd chain rings. However he may be better served by 130bcd Triathlon Chain Rings from the same page, however, new crank arms will be needed. However, this then gives him an opportunity to change to longer crank arms if he wishes... :D

wilmar13 said:
Maybe it is the alcohol thinking for me, but I swear you said in another post you were only 29 years old and smoke a pack of cigs a day. So while you may have been riding your cool mtn bike on the bike path around the lake with the kids on roller skates since you were 4 yrs old perhaps you should consider that maybe most real cyclists that know a little about bikes would know what BCD was and if they didn't it isn't that big of a deal to have someone be condescending to you. Boudreaux knows what he is talking about 98% of the time, and is an asshole 100% of the time, but at least that is consistant... if you want manners go the the ballet. BTW I am an asshole 98% of the time and right only about 96% of the time so I still have a ways to go.
As this isn't a ballet forum, I'll forget the manners this time, OK with you? I never ******' said I was 29 yrs old, but on Sept 7, I will be. Not much younger than you then, am I? Yeah, I'm a smoker, but not a ******' pack a day. What the hell does that have to do with this thread? And yeah, I've been riding since about 4yrs old, but it wasn't an mtb and it wasn't around a lake or with other kids on their roller skates. How would you class a 'real' cyclist? 5 years with an mtb racing team, 4 or so years with a road bike and touring club. Not once, did I ever hear any member of those clubs even mention BCD. And the road/touring club is a sub-division of a larger national club so wasn't full of amateurs. If someone is condescending to me, I think it is a big deal, there's no place for that kind of ****, anywhere. Most civilised people would agree with that, especially on a forum where a statement can come across the wrong way. One other thing. Unless you actually sat down, went through each and every post boudreaux and yourself made, researched which was right or wrong and calculated them all, don't fo spurting percentages out from your oh-so elitist ****. Hope that was bad mannered enough for you. Imagine if everyone here was like that. This forum wouldn't last very long, would it?

shannons dad said:
As this isn't a ballet forum, I'll forget the manners this time, OK with you? I never ******' said I was 29 yrs old, but on Sept 7, I will be. Not much younger than you then, am I? Yeah, I'm a smoker, but not a ******' pack a day. What the hell does that have to do with this thread? And yeah, I've been riding since about 4yrs old, but it wasn't an mtb and it wasn't around a lake or with other kids on their roller skates. How would you class a 'real' cyclist? 5 years with an mtb racing team, 4 or so years with a road bike and touring club. Not once, did I ever hear any member of those clubs even mention BCD. And the road/touring club is a sub-division of a larger national club so wasn't full of amateurs. If someone is condescending to me, I think it is a big deal, there's no place for that kind of ****, anywhere. Most civilised people would agree with that, especially on a forum where a statement can come across the wrong way. One other thing. Unless you actually sat down, went through each and every post boudreaux and yourself made, researched which was right or wrong and calculated them all, don't fo spurting percentages out from your oh-so elitist ****. Hope that was bad mannered enough for you. Imagine if everyone here was like that. This forum wouldn't last very long, would it?
You know what, I apoligize. I was stupidly PUI (posting under the influence) last night after happy hour and before heading out to the clubs. Some of the things I said were pretty judgemental on my part, and I was being a bit of an ass. :eek:

My point was that while Boudreaux is short and course, don't take it so personal, at least you know the answer to what a BCD is if you didn't before. It is an internet forum you take the good with the bad, and you should never allow yourself to get emotionally upset by anything anyone says to you or anyone else.

wilmar13 said:
You know what, I apoligize. I was stupidly PUI (posting under the influence) last night after happy hour and before heading out to the clubs. Some of the things I said were pretty judgemental on my part, and I was being a bit of an ass. :eek:

My point was that while Boudreaux is short and course, don't take it so personal, at least you know the answer to what a BCD is if you didn't before. It is an internet forum you take the good with the bad, and you should never allow yourself to get emotionally upset by anything anyone says to you or anyone else.
My response wasn't exactly well thought out either. And I was sober, which makes it twice as bad. My apologies to you too. No hard feelings eh.:)

OH, how sweet!! :eek:

Next you guys will be PMing each other with body parts (bike) pix and mooning the web cam. :D

shannons dad said:
My response wasn't exactly well thought out either. And I was sober, which makes it twice as bad. My apologies to you too. No hard feelings eh.:)
Well, I certainly got more information than I bargained for on my first posting! A lot slow twich muscles firing off on this site. Guess us new to the sport should read up on our own. Certainly didn't mean to get everyone excited.

ehavanero said:
Well, I certainly got more information than I bargained for on my first posting! A lot slow twich muscles firing off on this site. Guess us new to the sport should read up on our own. Certainly didn't mean to get everyone excited.
Don't worry about it! Most of the guys and gals here are usually more than happy to help out. Unfortunately, boudreaux has a habit of being an ass at every oportunity especially when I give my opinions. We don't like each other very much. Our arguments at the very least provide some amusment to others reading them!!:)

ehavanero said:

Robert
Back to the original question…. boudreaux answered your question with “Yeah” and then added the bolt pattern you need to match. The original question was answered.

BUT… shannons dad did ask a valid question, “From your question, I'm guessing you're kinda new to this cycling stuff?”

I’m wondering WHY change the chain rings at all????? Sure Florida is relatively flat, but unless you are spinning out the 50 X 12 in the flats, why change the chain rings at all? At 100 rpm (which is not spinning much at all) in a 50 X 12 you will be traveling approx 32 mph. And if you are kind of new to cycling I suspect that you won’t be riding 32+ mph in the flats. So why did you ask the question??? What do you expect to gain by changing the chain rings???

BTW…

BCD http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_bo-z.html#bcd

bikeguy2004 said:
I’m wondering WHY change the chain rings at all????? Sure Florida is relatively flat, but unless you are spinning out the 50 X 12 in the flats, why change the chain rings at all? At 100 rpm (which is not spinning much at all) in a 50 X 12 you will be traveling approx 32 mph. And if you are kind of new to cycling I suspect that you won’t be riding 32+ mph in the flats. So why did you ask the question??? What do you expect to gain by changing the chain rings???
Because people just like to change things. I see it all the time here and on a couple of other cycling forums. That doesn't mean that the changes necessarily make any sense. They just want something different due to some often misguided belief (my cousin's sister's boyfriend who works in a bike shop said that ...) that it'll be better or somehow improve their cycling experience.

The OP may have a valid reason for the change.