chainring shifting problems

fmarques25

Nov 8, 2005
I've recently bought a new chainring for my mtb 46 instead of my 44, but I've run into a problem I cannot shift between the 3 chainrings now, only 2 of them work (middle and big or middle and small), I think the problem is my old deore fd. Does anybody have a similar set up (46-32-22) and what fd do you guys use?? I've been toying with the idea of buying a road fd like a 105 or something similar.

thanks for your input.

fmarques25 said:
I've recently bought a new chainring for my mtb 46 instead of my 44, but I've run into a problem I cannot shift between the 3 chainrings now, only 2 of them work (middle and big or middle and small), I think the problem is my old deore fd. Does anybody have a similar set up (46-32-22) and what fd do you guys use?? I've been toying with the idea of buying a road fd like a 105 or something similar.

thanks for your input.

Road FD most likely isn't compatible with the MTB shifter you have unless it's a top mount friction type.

I think probably cable tension, hopefully you raised the FD a wee bit for the larger ring. get the chain onto the smallest ring, make sure the shifter is all the way to that ring, connect cable, make it tight, shift once, should shift to middle ring, again to big ring.

I used to run a 50t on my MTB, and while it didn't always shift very well, it did make it to the big ring; my point being that a 46 wouldn't cause the problem.

fmarques25 said:

thanks for your input.

did you move your fd up when you installed the 46?