Chainring Teeth

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Ghr7891, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Ghr7891

Ghr7891 New Member

As some of you may know I have just started building a bike for the first time. It will only be a 9 speed (its Freeride/light downhill) so for the only chainring what number of teeth would be the most practical. I am currently planning on getting a 44 tooth, will that be ok or should I change it. If it matters the crankset I am getting is a Truvativ hussefelt. Also one more question I was wondering how to find out the BB size of the frame. The crankset comes with a 118 length and 73 shell width, is this standard or bigger.
    -Thanks
    P.S. There will be plenty more questions coming, but when the bike is finished I will post a picture!

Tags:

2. Hecubus

Hecubus New Member

You need to figure out what frame you are using before you get the BB in order to know the size. As for the chainring a 44 will probably be too big for a single chainring setup. Something around 34, 38 or 42 will be better. I think you need to realistically look at how much climbing vs how much downhill pedaling you will need to be doing in order to decide.

3. SWorksRider

SWorksRider New Member

I have a 40t on my downhill rig, can use a 30t as well for them, just depends on what cranks/systems your using

4. Ghr7891

Ghr7891 New Member

I found out what size the BB is, the BB that I am ordering will fit I just need the spacer to convert it from a 73 to a 68 shell size, it is a truvativ dh isis BB. Does anyone know where I can get the spacer.
    -Thanks

5. przemekp

przemekp New Member

Hi
    Look to what Hecubus said: compare your expectations...
    I had an experience with one-speed crank in front - I used a 36 t. (the middle) from an old Altus A10 (I still use a bit - it seems to be indestructible ;))
    Effect? Great fun but also A LOT of troubles i.e.:
    long downhills in less hard trails inefective (where the heck is my favourite 44...)
    uphills? forget about more technical...

SO: my advice, use only if you are 100% sure that you need it or if have a second crankset and the to switch it.....

or if you have a second bike - but it's a whole different story ;)

6. przemekp

przemekp New Member

Hi
    Look to what Hecubus said: compare your expectations...
    I had an experience with one-speed crank in front - I used a 36 t. (the middle) from an old Altus A10 (I still use a bit - it seems to be indestructible ;))
    Effect? Great fun but also A LOT of troubles i.e.:
    long downhills in less hard trails inefective (where the heck is my favourite 44...)
    uphills? forget about more technical...

SO: my advice, use only if you are 100% sure that you need it or if have a second crankset and the to switch it.....

or if you have a second bike - but it's a whole different story ;)

7. Ghr7891

Ghr7891 New Member

Thanks, but I actually do have a second bike, an XC second bike thats why I am building a freeride. I would like it to be able to go uphill, but I am more into the downhills and hucking stuff. Thats why i want to use a single ring with a bashguard and chainguide.

8. przemekp

przemekp New Member

So for now all is clear

In my opinion you need sth between 34 and 42.
    As I said I suggest you the 36 crank - it's a great compromise between down and up-hill possibilities and with 9 spd cassette you will propably have a wide range of gears.

One more thing - could you add a link to the picture of your bike??? and some more info about your bike? it would help a lot and also I can't hide that I'm quite curious about your bike ;)

9. Ghr7891

Ghr7891 New Member

No pictures until its done!;)

All I can tell you is it will be SICK when its done.(Hopefully within the month, i have been making great progress)

No that I have just about have the cranks done with, I need a fork. I want a good but relatively cheap fork. I am estimating that in the next year when I save up enough money I will get a Marzocchi Monster Jr. so for now I was thinking a Psylo XC, I can get one off ebay for like $150, does this sound okay?

10. ireman_1

ireman_1 New Member

A Psylo XC on something "intended" for FR or DH (light or not)? No way. Although, the first time I got to walk into the LBS with a pair of forks that I had destroyed (read: folded a leg and wheel) I had *hours* of things to talk about. You can get a Marzocchi QR 20 (on ebay) for under $200. The angle "implications" of having a 3+ inch fork on a bike you are building to *eventually* have a 7 inch fork on is interesting to say the least, can you say steep angle and twitchy as hell? I'd wait if you arn't able to hook-up a long-travel fork capable of taking what you intend to throw at it.

Anyway, just some ramblings from a madman (I think I'm sane, but don't ask my wife). My *personal* choice for my FR bike is (usually) a 36 tooth chainring, but I change it often to suit whatever I'm hitting. It only takes a few minutes and is easy enough done. You don't have to have two cranksets to do it either. I have 32, 34, 36, and 42 tooth chainrings that work on the same set-up with little effort. I use an 11-34 cassette. It gives you plenty of options for mild climbing (maybe). Have fun building that bad boy up and then beating the hell out of it! Enjoy.

K.

11. Ghr7891

Ghr7891 New Member

I know the Psylo probably wont hold up long, but it should hold up well enough until I get another fork. I will just take it easy until then, no drops higher then a picnic table and so forth.

12. Hecubus

Hecubus New Member

The psylo whould handle some light abuse fairly well. After all its very similar to the pre-03 Marzocchis before 32mm stanctions and the new massive castings were standard.