Chainring wear on the track?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Pete Biggs, Apr 14, 2003.

  1. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    [question also posted to r.b.tech]

    I've just bought a used TA 50t chainring via eBay (for more than peanuts). It was described as
    "brand new (used once on for a pursuit on the track)".

    Nevermind the obvious contradiction between brand new and used, but how much wear could result from
    one track pursuit?

    The teeth on this ring are noticeably hooked and have distinct ridges on the bottom of the "valleys"
    when felt with a fingernail. The wear seems the equivalent of at least 1000 miles on the road to me
    - with ordinary road bike & cycling, and I do have specific experience of TA rings so know what both
    new and well used ones look like.

    I've got no personal experience with track riding, however. Are the extra stresses on the track so
    much greater that a chainring can be this worn after just one race?

    Thanks for any help. I'm considering asking for a discount or refund. EBay's feedback is a handy
    facility, isn't it :)

    ~PB (no digital camera or scanner so can't post a picture easily)

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, Pete Biggs
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >[question also posted to r.b.tech]
    >
    >I've just bought a used TA 50t chainring via eBay (for more than peanuts). It was described as
    >"brand new (used once on for a pursuit on the track)".
    >
    >Nevermind the obvious contradiction between brand new and used, but how much wear could result from
    >one track pursuit?
    >
    >The teeth on this ring are noticeably hooked

    If true that is enough reason to send it back. I wouldn't keep it. Hooking occurs after quite a
    lot of use.

    --Paul

  3. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >I've got no personal experience with track riding, however. Are the extra stresses on the track so
    >much greater that a chainring can be this worn after just one race?

    Don't think so. Given the fact that track chains are always clean and that they seem to last for
    ever, I think you need to return the chainring and ask for total reimbursement of all your costs.

    Jon Isaacs

  4. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    > [question also posted to r.b.tech]
    >
    > I've just bought a used TA 50t chainring via eBay (for more than peanuts). It was described as
    > "brand new (used once on for a pursuit on the track)".
    >
    > Nevermind the obvious contradiction between brand new and used, but how much wear could result
    > from one track pursuit?
    >
    > The teeth on this ring are noticeably hooked and have distinct ridges on the bottom of the
    > "valleys" when felt with a fingernail. The wear seems the equivalent of at least 1000 miles on the
    > road to me - with ordinary road bike & cycling, and I do have specific experience of TA rings so
    > know what both new and well used ones look like.
    >
    > I've got no personal experience with track riding, however. Are the extra stresses on the track so
    > much greater that a chainring can be this worn after just one race?
    >
    > Thanks for any help. I'm considering asking for a discount or refund. EBay's feedback is a handy
    > facility, isn't it :)
    >
    > ~PB (no digital camera or scanner so can't post a picture easily)

    I'd say that just judging from the description, you've gotten a ring that is more than just slightly
    used. Send it back and get another one.

    Mike

  5. Shabby

    Shabby New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    Yes there's more stress, but the chainrings are usually thicker and the amount of km's they do under high stress is minimal.

    People rarely replace chainrings on the track, as most trackies do more miles on the road than on the track, even during the season. And a lot of the training involves spinning high cadences, which will damage the drivetrain less than lower cadences.

    I think you got shafted!