Chainrings 130 bcd for campy 10 spd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

Zakfarg

On 09 Sep 2003 14:20:25 GMT, [email protected] (BretCahill) may have said:

>Someone on sci.engr.mech said a chain sprocket system was over 95% efficient at transmitting power
>-- better than a belt drive.
>
>I'm guessing most of the friction is between the pins and the links as they wrap around the
>sprocket. The friction would increase directly with rpm and with tension in the chain -- in other
>words, the % friction would remain constant over all power ranges.
>
>5% might not sound like much but . . .

The "over" in that statement is also significant. There's a study that came up with over 98% (I tend
to distrust claims that exceed 99%) in a significant portion of the instances. All of these were
with a system that was working properly. If something's not right, it can change the results
downwards.

--
My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail. Yes, I have a killfile. If I
don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy.

zakfarg wrote:
> I have a campy record 10 spd group on my bike, but i have a gernic carbon crank with a 130 bcd
> chainrings.
>
> my question is ,what would be the best 130 bcd chainrings to use to get good good shifting with
> campy 10 spd?

130 won't fit. Modern Campagnolo road cranks require 135mm (and 74mm for triple inner ring).

Campag and Specialites TA make good quality compatible rings.

~PB

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 18:54:20 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:

> zakfarg wrote:
>> I have a campy record 10 spd group on my bike, but i have a gernic carbon crank with a 130 bcd
>> chainrings.
>>
>> my question is ,what would be the best 130 bcd chainrings to use to get good good shifting with
>> campy 10 spd?
>
> 130 won't fit. Modern Campagnolo road cranks require 135mm (and 74mm for triple inner ring).

Read again. He doesn't have Campy cranks. He's worried about the chain fitting on the chainrings,
meant for his 130mm crank. I don't know whether there would be a problem using any standard rings,
but that is his question.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Become MicroSoft-free forever. Ask me how. _`\(,_ | (_)/ (_) |

"zakfarg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<0Qn7b.407696$uu5.74040@sccrnsc04>...
> I have a campy record 10 spd group on my bike, but i have a gernic carbon crank with a 130 bcd
> chainrings.
>
> my question is ,what would be the best 130 bcd chainrings to use to get good good shifting with
> campy 10 spd?
>
> Thanks Michael

Are you asking if you can just swap out the Record 10 crankset and bottom bracket and replace it
with the generic carbon crankset that just happens to use 130 mm bcd chainrings and its matching
bottom bracket? Yes, many have reported on this forum about using other cranksets designed for 9
speed with a Campagnolo 10 speed chain and derailleurs and shifters. I doubt it makes much
difference what the tooth count between the chainrings is as long as its relatively normal. 10-12 or
so tooth difference. You will have to replace the bottom bracket because Campagnolo has its own
unique taper to the spindle flats and most everyone else making tapered bottom brackets makes them
fit the Shimano standard.

David L. Johnson wrote:

>>> I have a campy record 10 spd group on my bike, but i have a gernic carbon crank with a 130 bcd
>>> chainrings.
>>>
>>> my question is ,what would be the best 130 bcd chainrings to use to get good good shifting with
>>> campy 10 spd?
>>
>> 130 won't fit. Modern Campagnolo road cranks require 135mm (and 74mm for triple inner ring).
>
> Read again. He doesn't have Campy cranks.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

> He's worried about the chain fitting on the chainrings, meant for his 130mm crank. I don't know
> whether there would be a problem using any standard rings, but that is his question.

The latest TA rings are designated "9/10 speed" so I expect they work as well with Campag 10-speed
as they do with 9sp - which is good, IME.

~PB

> The latest TA rings are designated "9/10 speed" so I expect they work as well with Campag 10-speed
> as they do with 9sp - which is good, IME.

TA is a very good choice. I use the older 9 speed TA chainrings with Campy 10 speed, perfect
shifting. I wouldn't be surpised if the only difference between the 9 and 9/10 speed versions is the
labeling. I will use them as replacements for all my chainrings from now. They offer very good
quality, are available is several colors and sell at halve the price of the original Campy
chainrings.

"Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> David L. Johnson wrote:
>
> >>> I have a campy record 10 spd group on my bike, but i have a gernic carbon crank with a 130 bcd
> >>> chainrings.
> >>>
> >>> my question is ,what would be the best 130 bcd chainrings to use to get good good shifting
> >>> with campy 10 spd?
> >>
> >> 130 won't fit. Modern Campagnolo road cranks require 135mm (and 74mm for triple inner ring).
> >
> > Read again. He doesn't have Campy cranks.
>
> Sorry for the misunderstanding.
>
> > He's worried about the chain fitting on the chainrings, meant for his 130mm crank. I don't know
> > whether there would be a problem using any standard rings, but that is his question.
>
> The latest TA rings are designated "9/10 speed" so I expect they work as well with Campag 10-speed
> as they do with 9sp - which is good, IME.
>
> ~PB

zakfarg-<< I have a campy record 10 spd group on my bike, but i have a gernic carbon crank with a
130 bcd chainrings.

my question is ,what would be the best 130 bcd chainrings to use to get good good shifting with
campy 10 spd? >><BR><BR>

Any higher end TA ring..we have as do others. '9s' or 10s, doesn't matter-

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

"David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 18:54:20 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
>
> > zakfarg wrote:
> >> I have a campy record 10 spd group on my bike, but i have a gernic carbon crank with a 130 bcd
> >> chainrings.
> >>
> >> my question is ,what would be the best 130 bcd chainrings to use to get good good shifting with
> >> campy 10 spd?
> >
> > 130 won't fit. Modern Campagnolo road cranks require 135mm (and 74mm for triple inner ring).
>
> Read again. He doesn't have Campy cranks. He's worried about the chain fitting on the chainrings,
> meant for his 130mm crank. I don't know whether there would be a problem using any standard rings,
> but that is his question.

I use an Athena 8v crank with my 10v setup. Works like a champ. Any 8, 9, or 10 crankset will work.

App

Status
Not open for further replies.