Chainrings 9sp vs 10sp compatibility

Travis

Guest
I know that if I convert my 9sp bike to 10sp, I don't actually need to
replace the front chainrings because 9sp chainrings work perfectly well
with 10sp. (I do however have to change the shifters and cassette and
adjust the derailers.)

My chainrings are looking a bit worn though. I was reading the
appropriate section of Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance where
it was talking about when you need to replace the chainrings, and it
had a sketch of the distinctive shape of worn chainring teeth, which
looked exactly like my chainring!

9sp chainrings are getting harder to find at a reasonable price, but if
9sp chainrings work with 10sp chains, does that mean I could just order
10sp chainrings and fit them or even a whole 10sp chainset including
cranks and BB?

Travis

As with any technical bike matter, see Sheldon Brown:

http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

Note: Shimano 8- and 9- and 10-speed cassettes/hubs are fully
interchangeable for wheels with steel Freehub bodies.
The only parts that are different in any important way between the 8-
and 9- and 10-speed systems are the shift control levers.

Travis wrote:

> it was talking about when you need to replace the chainrings,

That is most likely to happen when you fit a new chain, and discover
that it "jumps" on the old chainring when you pedal hard.
You might then put the old chain back on until the new chainring arrives
in the mail.

> 9sp chainrings are getting harder to find at a reasonable price,

Can someone tell me ANYWHERE I can get chainrings at a reasonable price???

Katharine & Paul wrote:
> > 9sp chainrings are getting harder to find at a reasonable price,

> Can someone tell me ANYWHERE I can get chainrings at a reasonable price???

If you find a place, let me know...

torpedo7.com.au has one for $85, its not genuine Shimano though. I
don't know if its any good or not.

Travis

On Dec 10, 7:29 pm, Dancier
<[email protected]> wrote:
> For chainrings try aebikes in the states.

> http://aebike.com/index.cfm
>
> Chainrings
>
> http://tinyurl.com/y5l3z8

Thanks for the link, I've bookmarked it.

Does anyone know what metal Ultegra chainrings are made from? The
torpedo7 chainrings are made from anodised and polished 7075-T6
alumnium, which is a very hard aerospace grade aluminium alloy. Is
Ultegra better than that, or the same?

Reason why I ask is because the aebike chainrings together + postage
are just as costly as the Token ones from torpedo7... and I've got a
store credit with torpedo7 from some stuff I returned.

Travis

Travis wrote:

> Does anyone know what metal Ultegra chainrings are made from? The
> torpedo7 chainrings are made from anodised and polished 7075-T6
> alumnium, which is a very hard aerospace grade aluminium alloy. Is
> Ultegra better than that, or the same?
>
> Reason why I ask is because the aebike chainrings together + postage
> are just as costly as the Token ones from torpedo7... and I've got a
> store credit with torpedo7 from some stuff I returned.

For the record, when I called Torpedo7 today and asked what level
groupset is this equivalent to, she said it was equivalent to Ultegra.

Travis