Chainrings fit any crank brand?

Urban Sherpa

Guest
Cannondale RW700 road bike if it matters....

I recently had a problem with my left crank arm. Seems the bolt
loosened and semi-stripped the octalink splines on the crank arm (BB
is OK). Now I have to stop every few miles and tighten the crank bolt
with my 8mm. (even with a torque wrench the bolt loosens). The crank
is a Cannondale EX, and the Cannondale factory or dealers won't sell
me a single left arm. The tech guy said I'd have to buy the set (cost
way more than I should have to spend). I've decided to buy a 105, or
Ultegra instead of the C'dale.

My question.... if I buy JUST the crank arms (w/o chainrings) will my
52/42/30 chainrings fit the Shimano stuff, are they
standard/compatible?

Thanks for the info, -Karl

Urban Sherpa wrote:
> Cannondale RW700 road bike if it matters....
>
> I recently had a problem with my left crank arm. Seems the bolt
> loosened and semi-stripped the octalink splines on the crank arm (BB
> is OK). Now I have to stop every few miles and tighten the crank bolt
> with my 8mm. (even with a torque wrench the bolt loosens). The crank
> is a Cannondale EX, and the Cannondale factory or dealers won't sell
> me a single left arm. The tech guy said I'd have to buy the set (cost
> way more than I should have to spend). I've decided to buy a 105, or
> Ultegra instead of the C'dale.
>
> My question.... if I buy JUST the crank arms (w/o chainrings) will my
> 52/42/30 chainrings fit the Shimano stuff, are they
> standard/compatible?
>

> Thanks for the info, -Karl

If the bolt holes are in the same places they'll fit. Shimano road are
130/74 mm PCD (Pitch Circle Diameter) meaning the bolt holes are centres on
a circle that is 130mm in diameter for the outer two rings and 74 mm for the
inner ring. You can measure yours to check.

If it's just the left crank that needs replacing, then why purchase a
complete crankset. Just a left crank that fits the bottom bracket will do.
Try www.loosescrews.com.

Nick

"Urban Sherpa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Cannondale RW700 road bike if it matters....
>
> I recently had a problem with my left crank arm. Seems the bolt
> loosened and semi-stripped the octalink splines on the crank arm (BB
> is OK). Now I have to stop every few miles and tighten the crank bolt
> with my 8mm. (even with a torque wrench the bolt loosens). The crank
> is a Cannondale EX, and the Cannondale factory or dealers won't sell
> me a single left arm. The tech guy said I'd have to buy the set (cost
> way more than I should have to spend). I've decided to buy a 105, or
> Ultegra instead of the C'dale.

On 27 May 2004 12:04:03 -0700, [email protected] (Urban Sherpa)
wrote:
>My question.... if I buy JUST the crank arms (w/o chainrings) will my

My question.... where do you buy JUST the crank arms (w/o
chainrings)?
--
Rick Onanian

Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 27 May 2004 12:04:03 -0700, [email protected] (Urban Sherpa)
> wrote:
> >My question.... if I buy JUST the crank arms (w/o chainrings) will my

> My question.... where do you buy JUST the crank arms (w/o
> chainrings)?

Anywhere- Quality Bicycle Products sells some brands as "crankarm
sets":
http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&Category=100
None are direct replacements for Urban's setup- but then I don't know
what's interchangeable with his Coda kit.

Jeff

"Urban Sherpa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| Cannondale RW700 road bike if it matters....
|
| I recently had a problem with my left crank arm. Seems the bolt
| loosened and semi-stripped the octalink splines on the crank arm (BB
| is OK). Now I have to stop every few miles and tighten the crank bolt
| with my 8mm. (even with a torque wrench the bolt loosens). The crank
| is a Cannondale EX, and the Cannondale factory or dealers won't sell
| me a single left arm. The tech guy said I'd have to buy the set (cost
| way more than I should have to spend). I've decided to buy a 105, or
| Ultegra instead of the C'dale.
|
| My question.... if I buy JUST the crank arms (w/o chainrings) will my
| 52/42/30 chainrings fit the Shimano stuff, are they
| standard/compatible?

I've got a set of Coda Expert cranks I pulled off a bike for the reason
you describe. The spline is in good shape on the crank. Make me an
offer and I'll ship it to you.

However, Since I had the same problem, (left crank kept getting loose),
it made me wonder if I had the wrong bottom bracket on the bike for the
crankarm. Since there are two different flavours of the Shimano splined
BB, it is possible we had mismatched BB for the crank. If it's the
deeper spline, it's possible than the crank does not seat well enough to
stay tight and works loose.
Didn't have the same issue on the chainring side.

John Rees

Rick Onanian wrote:

> On 27 May 2004 12:04:03 -0700, [email protected] (Urban Sherpa)
> wrote:
>
>>My question.... if I buy JUST the crank arms (w/o chainrings) will my

> My question.... where do you buy JUST the crank arms (w/o
> chainrings)?

'Crank arm" is redundant. "Crank" is sufficient to describe the part (or
several rec.bicycles.tech regulars for that matter).

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

On Sat, 29 May 2004 05:11:40 -0500, Tom Sherman
<[email protected]> wrote:
>Rick Onanian wrote:
>> My question.... where do you buy JUST the crank arms (w/o
>> chainrings)?

>'Crank arm" is redundant. "Crank" is sufficient to describe the part (or
>several rec.bicycles.tech regulars for that matter).

Maybe it _was_ sufficient, X number of years ago. However, "crank"
has become generally accepted to mean the arms and rings, and
sometimes even the bottom bracket. This obfuscation has necessitated
additional detail.

Actually, I thought it was the opposite of what you say; I thought
"crank set" was the redundant term, leaving "crank arm" to describe
a single component of a "crank" or "crank set".

You may think it's all a bad thing, but it's reality, for better or
for worse.
--
Rick Onanian

Rick Onanian asked:

> My question.... where do you buy JUST the crank arms (w/o
> chainrings)?

http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&Category=493

This "a la carte" approach tends to be much more expensive than buying
a complete crankset, but if you just need a single crank, especially a
left one as the O.P. seeks, it can be a good way to go.

Indeed, left cranks are very widely interchangeable among different
brands and models unless you're hung up on matching the cosmetics of the
right side.

Most bike shops will stock generic left cranks for $20 or so. For some
reason, it's left cranks that are more liable to get wrecked by riding
them loose, so this is a common repair part.

Sheldon "Q.B.P." Brown
Newtonville, Massachusetts
| Promote the institution of marriage: |
| Make it available to all adults! |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Rick Onanian wrote:
>
>> On 27 May 2004 12:04:03 -0700, [email protected] (Urban Sherpa)
>> wrote:
>>
>>>My question.... if I buy JUST the crank arms (w/o chainrings) will my

>> My question.... where do you buy JUST the crank arms (w/o
>> chainrings)?

>'Crank arm" is redundant. "Crank" is sufficient to describe the part (or
>several rec.bicycles.tech regulars for that matter).

I thought that the name of the part is "crank arm" and that crank was
a short name (and also a verb describing the action). Giant's website
contains the following line where they use the term crank arm: "The
URT design is an ingenious suspension system whereby the drivetrain of
the bicycle (gears, chain, derailleurs, bottom bracket, crank arms,
rear wheel) are all contained within the swingarm structure."

Michael J. Klein [email protected]
Dasi Jen, Taoyuan Hsien, Taiwan, ROC
Please replace mousepotato with asiancastings

Michael J. Klein wrote:

>>'Crank arm" is redundant. "Crank" is sufficient to describe the part (or
>>several rec.bicycles.tech regulars for that matter).

> I thought that the name of the part is "crank arm" and that crank was
> a short name (and also a verb describing the action). Giant's website
> contains the following line where they use the term crank arm: "The
> URT design is an ingenious suspension system whereby the drivetrain of
> the bicycle (gears, chain, derailleurs, bottom bracket, crank arms,
> rear wheel) are all contained within the swingarm structure."

See the following links for some crankiness (pun intended) on the subject.
<http://groups.google.com/groups?q=crank+arm+jobst+brandt&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&safe=off&selm=cwjx7.4238%24no1.47989%40typhoon.sonic.net&rnum=1>
<http://groups.google.com/groups?q=crank+arm+jobst+brandt&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&safe=off&selm=LdQ3b.16601%24dk4.543192%40typhoon.sonic.net&rnum=3>

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

My question.... if I buy JUST the crank arms (w/o chainrings) will my
> 52/42/30 chainrings fit the Shimano stuff, are they
> standard/compatible?

Rings will fit, but a Shimano crank arm may not fit your Cannondale's
BB. Shimano cranks only fit Shimano BBs. Check compatability, or you
may also need to buy a BB as well. Otherwise buy a crankset that fits
your BB.

You could always buy a crankset with rings. Install your old rings on
the crank, and sell the new rings as a set on ebay. That may be the
most cost effective way to go.

[email protected] (Urban Sherpa) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Cannondale RW700 road bike if it matters....
>
> I recently had a problem with my left crank arm. Seems the bolt
> loosened and semi-stripped the octalink splines on the crank arm (BB
> is OK). Now I have to stop every few miles and tighten the crank bolt
> with my 8mm. (even with a torque wrench the bolt loosens). The crank
> is a Cannondale EX, and the Cannondale factory or dealers won't sell
> me a single left arm. The tech guy said I'd have to buy the set (cost
> way more than I should have to spend). I've decided to buy a 105, or
> Ultegra instead of the C'dale.
>
> My question.... if I buy JUST the crank arms (w/o chainrings) will my
> 52/42/30 chainrings fit the Shimano stuff, are they
> standard/compatible?
>

> Thanks for the info, -Karl

When you stand on the pedals, do you do so right foot forward? If so,
this may have not been your fault but a design defect that has been
diagnosed by Jobst Brandt. Just do a google search for "right foot
forward" and you'll come up with many discussions of this. Shimano
seems to have acknowledged the problem with the octolink design with
its new generation of pinch-bolt cranks.

If you do stand right foot forward, then why give hell to Cannondale?

Gary Young writes:

>> Cannondale RW700 road bike if it matters....

>> I recently had a problem with my left crank arm. Seems the bolt
>> loosened and semi-stripped the octalink splines on the crank arm
>> (BB is OK). Now I have to stop every few miles and tighten the
>> crank bolt with my 8mm. (even with a torque wrench the bolt
>> loosens). The crank is a Cannondale EX, and the Cannondale factory
>> or dealers won't sell me a single left arm. The tech guy said I'd
>> have to buy the set (cost way more than I should have to spend).
>> I've decided to buy a 105, or Ultegra instead of the C'dale.

>> My question... if I buy JUST the crank arms (w/o chainrings) will
>> my 52/42/30 chainrings fit the Shimano stuff, are they
>> standard/compatible?

> When you stand on the pedals, do you do so right foot forward? If
> so, this may have not been your fault but a design defect that has
> been diagnosed by Jobst Brandt. Just do a google search for "right
> foot forward" and you'll come up with many discussions of this.
> Shimano seems to have acknowledged the problem with the octolink
> design with its new generation of pinch-bolt cranks.

> If you do stand right foot forward, then why give hell to Cannondale?

I find interesting how my explanation of this phenomenon was harshly
criticized by the Shimano faithful who could not imagine that their
equipment manufacturer not understanding this failing. Therefore, the
Octalink couldn't be at fault, just as the disc brake wheel ejection
could not occur or the Campagnolo Delta brake be dangerous. As You
say, Shimano seems to have recognized the problem and moved to a new
design. They could have saved themselves much trouble had they hired
better engineers who understand these things. Fortunately, computer
modeling of these interfaces is available now and would reveal elastic
backlash in that design, the backlash that unscrews retaining bolts
and mashes the pressure faces (that are too small in the first place).

Jobst Brandt
[email protected]

[email protected] wrote:

> <snipped> As You
> say, Shimano seems to have recognized the problem and moved to a new
> design. They could have saved themselves much trouble had they hired
> better engineers who understand these things. Fortunately, computer
> modeling of these interfaces is available now and would reveal elastic
> backlash in that design, the backlash that unscrews retaining bolts
> and mashes the pressure faces (that are too small in the first place).

Do you have reason to believe that Shimano (or others) are actually
simulating this interface? Presumably they design it with a CAD tool
but do they do the analysis? It seems the sort of thing that requires
the engineer to know what to look for; but if they did, they probably
wouldn't have made the mistake in the first place.

Joe

Joe Riel writes:

>> As You say, Shimano seems to have recognized the problem and moved
>> to a new design. They could have saved themselves much trouble had
>> they hired better engineers who understand these things.
>> Fortunately, computer modeling of these interfaces is available now
>> and would reveal elastic backlash in that design, the backlash that
>> unscrews retaining bolts and mashes the pressure faces (that are
>> too small in the first place).

> Do you have reason to believe that Shimano (or others) are actually
> simulating this interface? Presumably they design it with a CAD
> tool but do they do the analysis? It seems the sort of thing that
> requires the engineer to know what to look for; but if they did,
> they probably wouldn't have made the mistake in the first place.

Of course not, but I say they have the opportunity to do that and
don't necessarily need engineers who recognize mechanical problems
with such assemblies. I think it would be good for these people to
study what was done at the dawn of bicycling because at that time the
best engineers around were working on that and many of the "inventions
we see today" are re-inventions of things done then. For instance
Rolf wheels, aka Lovelace patent 1890.

Shimano crank attachment was also there in Cook Bros. BMX equipment.

Jobst Brandt
[email protected]

[email protected] (Gary Young) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Urban Sherpa) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > Cannondale RW700 road bike if it matters....
> >
> > I recently had a problem with my left crank arm. Seems the bolt
> > loosened and semi-stripped the octalink splines on the crank arm (BB
> > is OK). Now I have to stop every few miles and tighten the crank bolt
> > with my 8mm. (even with a torque wrench the bolt loosens). The crank
> > is a Cannondale EX, and the Cannondale factory or dealers won't sell
> > me a single left arm. The tech guy said I'd have to buy the set (cost
> > way more than I should have to spend). I've decided to buy a 105, or
> > Ultegra instead of the C'dale.
> >
> > My question.... if I buy JUST the crank arms (w/o chainrings) will my
> > 52/42/30 chainrings fit the Shimano stuff, are they
> > standard/compatible?
> >

> > Thanks for the info, -Karl

> When you stand on the pedals, do you do so right foot forward? If so,
> this may have not been your fault but a design defect that has been
> diagnosed by Jobst Brandt. Just do a google search for "right foot
> forward" and you'll come up with many discussions of this. Shimano
> seems to have acknowledged the problem with the octolink design with
> its new generation of pinch-bolt cranks.
>
> If you do stand right foot forward, then why give hell to Cannondale?

Correction: I meant to say, Why NOT give hell to Cannondale? As the
manufacturer, they're responsible for selling you a faulty design and
arguably should pay for fixing the problem.

[email protected] (Urban Sherpa) wrote

>>>Cannondale RW700 road bike if it matters....
>>>
>>>I recently had a problem with my left crank arm. Seems the bolt
>>>loosened and semi-stripped the octalink splines on the crank arm (BB
>>>is OK). Now I have to stop every few miles and tighten the crank bolt=

>>>with my 8mm. (even with a torque wrench the bolt loosens). The crank
>>>is a Cannondale EX, and the Cannondale factory or dealers won't sell
>>>me a single left arm. The tech guy said I'd have to buy the set (cos=

>>>way more than I should have to spend). I've decided to buy a 105, o=

>>>Ultegra instead of the C'dale.
>>>
>>>My question.... if I buy JUST the crank arms (w/o chainrings) will m=

>>>52/42/30 chainrings fit the Shimano stuff, are they
>>>standard/compatible?

Yes. All 130/74 cranks/chainrings are intercompatible.

If it's just the left side that's wrecked, why not just buy a left=20
crank? That's the cheap one.

See: http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=3D49&Category=3D2688

Tom Sherman wrote:

>>'Crank arm" is redundant. "Crank" is sufficient to describe the part (o=

r=20
>>several rec.bicycles.tech regulars for that matter).

>=20

Michael Klein replied:
>=20
> I thought that the name of the part is "crank arm" and that crank was
> a short name (and also a verb describing the action).=20

Nope, Tom's right, but you're not the first to make this error, and=20
probably won't be the last.

> Giant's website
> contains the following line where they use the term crank arm: "The
> URT design is an ingenious suspension system whereby the drivetrain of
> the bicycle (gears, chain, derailleurs, bottom bracket, crank arms,
> rear wheel) are all contained within the swingarm structure."

I must admit that I got a chuckle out of the idea of using Taiwanese=20
product literature as a reference source for correct English usage!

Sheldon Don't Get Me Going About Brake 'Arches'" Brown
London, England 'til tomorrow
| I'll be traveling in France and England throughout the month |
| of June. I hope to remain online, but don't know what sort |
| of 'Net access I'll be able to get... |
| I lost 190 MB of mail due to mailbox overload in mid June, |
| so if you wrote me and din=92t get a reply, try again. |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 22:35:08 -0500, Tom Sherman
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Michael J. Klein wrote:

>>>'Crank arm" is redundant. "Crank" is sufficient to describe the part (or
>>>several rec.bicycles.tech regulars for that matter).

>> I thought that the name of the part is "crank arm" and that crank was
>> a short name (and also a verb describing the action). Giant's website
>> contains the following line where they use the term crank arm: "The
>> URT design is an ingenious suspension system whereby the drivetrain of
>> the bicycle (gears, chain, derailleurs, bottom bracket, crank arms,
>> rear wheel) are all contained within the swingarm structure."

>See the following links for some crankiness (pun intended) on the subject.
><http://groups.google.com/groups?q=crank+arm+jobst+brandt&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&safe=off&selm=cwjx7.4238%24no1.47989%40typhoon.sonic.net&rnum=1>
><http://groups.google.com/groups?q=crank+arm+jobst+brandt&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&safe=off&selm=LdQ3b.16601%24dk4.543192%40typhoon.sonic.net&rnum=3>

I wish I had that much time.... lol

Does this mean that the drafters who specify part names and use "Arm,
Crank, [model number]" are wrong?
Michael J. Klein [email protected]
Dasi Jen, Taoyuan Hsien, Taiwan, ROC
Please replace mousepotato with asiancastings

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 15:47:46 +0100, Sheldon Brown
<[email protected]> wrote:

<snipped out stuff>

>I must admit that I got a chuckle out of the idea of using Taiwanese
>product literature as a reference source for correct English usage!

They have a coffee product here called "Mr. Brown's" too!

At least Giant is smart enough to use native English speakers to write
the English text. Nearly every use of English here in Taiwan is
incorrect and some of them are incredible.

http://www.icoffeestore.com/m/Mr_Brown_Coffees/