Chainrings

ywsg58

Jun 8, 2006
Does anyone have a recommendation for replacement chainrings? I have been looking at TA chainrings to replace my Ultegra doubles with different tooth combinations. What is the difference between TA Hegoa and Alize chainrings?

ywsg58 said:
Does anyone have a recommendation for replacement chainrings? I have been looking at TA chainrings to replace my Ultegra doubles with different tooth combinations. What is the difference between TA Hegoa and Alize chainrings?

I have been wondering the same thing... I have some long distance rolling rides coming up and was wondering if there is much difference switching to a 38 chainring upfront?

ywsg58 said:
What is the difference between TA Hegoa and Alize chainrings?
Sorry, but I don't know.
bomber said:
I have been wondering the same thing... I have some long distance rolling rides coming up and was wondering if there is much difference switching to a 38 chainring upfront?
Diff between 39/25 & 38/25 is 85mm less wheel roll out.
Diff between 39/25 & 39/27 would make 275mm less roll out.
So a one tooth less front change [which as you seem to know is the smallest to fit shimano standard double] makes very little difference, were as an extra 2 tooth rear, makes a larger difference which would be noticeable.

FSA. 38 vs. 39 is minimal, better to increase the tooth count on the cassette.

capwater said:
FSA. 38 vs. 39 is minimal, better to increase the tooth count on the cassette.

I generally run a 39/25 for most rides. When I went to the Alps for the first time last year I went with a 39/27 and took some time to acclimatise to the riding! Alp D'Huez was an absolute suffer fest...

I wasnt in the best shape and continue to get stronger with each month of cycling. When I return to the Alps this year I will accept my limitations and be taking a compact. Now that I know how small a change the 38 Vs the 39 is I wont bother for sportive events here I will just ride the 27 cassette.

Thanks

bomber said:
I generally run a 39/25 for most rides. When I went to the Alps for the first time last year I went with a 39/27 and took some time to acclimatise to the riding! Alp D'Huez was an absolute suffer fest...

I wasnt in the best shape and continue to get stronger with each month of cycling. When I return to the Alps this year I will accept my limitations and be taking a compact. Now that I know how small a change the 38 Vs the 39 is I wont bother for sportive events here I will just ride the 27 cassette.

Thanks

Compact cranks are the way to go!!!! :)

tanggoman said:
Compact cranks are the way to go!!!! :)

+1
Happy to have changed mine over some months ago. Currently running 50/34 and have a spare 36 chainring. Is there much difference running one over the other? Just thought of putting the 36 ring on so there's not too big a drop from 50.