Chains, cogs and wear

Tim Woodall

Guest
Over the winter my chain has worn to the point that it urgently needs replacing. (More than 1/16"
wear, less than 1/8" wear AFAICT)

However, I, perhaps foolishly, "converted" my bike to a single speed during the winter by not
changing gear. (I did occasionally change gear, e.g. when making trips to the supermarket when
loaded and I obviously didn't always return to exactly the same gear)

So, the 17 tooth sprocket has visibly hooked teeth and the 16 tooth sprocket is visibly worn while
the rest look ok.

I suspect that if I change the chain I'm not going to be able to use these two cogs without the
chain jumping.

So, should I keep going with this chain and cassette until they finally break or start skipping or
should I replace both now?

The chainrings are fairly new, presumably if I keep going I will ruin them as well? And what about
the jockey wheels?

I suppose in future I should change the chain earlier. This is the first winter I have ridden the
bike every day and I had no idea how much damage the salt would do (I had to dismantle the cassette
to clean out all the salt crystals that had formed).

Re-reading S-Bs page about chains again (amazing how you can keep finding new things in those pages)
I have discovered that I have been oiling the chain on the wrong side as well which would also help
explain why the chain has gone from "immeasurable" stretch to badly worn in only about 700 miles.
The water, salt and grit of winter has had a field day. I've very recently changed to Finish Line
Krytech wax lube which I hope might help next winter but it's too late for this winter.

Finally, how often to people oil their chains in the winter? Every day, once a week, if it rains or
(as I have been doing) once per fortnight? And do people clean the chains between each oiling? The
big problem with winter is that it is dark almost all the time so jobs like these have to "fit in"
to the daylight hours :-(

Regards,

Tim.

Tim Woodall wrote:
> Over the winter my chain has worn to the point that it urgently needs replacing. (More than 1/16"
> wear, less than 1/8" wear AFAICT)
>
> However, I, perhaps foolishly, "converted" my bike to a single speed during the winter by not
> changing gear. (I did occasionally change gear, e.g. when making trips to the supermarket when
> loaded and I obviously didn't always return to exactly the same gear)
>
> So, the 17 tooth sprocket has visibly hooked teeth and the 16 tooth sprocket is visibly worn while
> the rest look ok.
>
> I suspect that if I change the chain I'm not going to be able to use these two cogs without the
> chain jumping.

Can't be sure until you try.

> So, should I keep going with this chain and cassette until they finally break or start skipping or
> should I replace both now?
>
> The chainrings are fairly new, presumably if I keep going I will ruin them as well?

That's right. You have to whether it's more worthile to carry on with what you've got and wear the
rings out (it all might last a long time and work fine until something eventually skips, but rings
will be expensive to replace) or fit a new chain (and sprockets if nec).

Unless you are considering/prepared to replace chainrings (or bike!) soonish anyway, I suggest
fitting a new chain asap, try it, if skips, fit a new cassette/freewheel or perhaps new sprocket(s)
if you can get them.

> And what about the jockey wheels?

They will wear but don't worry about those so much. Very worn jockeys still work and aren't very
expensive to replace anyway.

> Finally, how often to people oil their chains in the winter? Every day, once a week, if it rains
> or (as I have been doing) once per fortnight?

Depends on the lube, but chain definitely needs more attention after use in the wet. Don't worry
about it if chain has no stiff links and does not squeak.

> And do people clean the chains between each oiling?

I try to.

~PB

news:<[email protected]>...
> Tim Woodall wrote:
> > Over the winter my chain has worn to the point that it urgently needs replacing. (More than
> > 1/16" wear, less than 1/8" wear AFAICT)

> > So, should I keep going with this chain and cassette until they finally break or start skipping
> > or should I replace both now?
> >
> > The chainrings are fairly new, presumably if I keep going I will ruin them as well?

> Unless you are considering/prepared to replace chainrings (or bike!) soonish anyway, I suggest
> fitting a new chain asap, try it, if skips, fit a new cassette/freewheel or perhaps new
> sprocket(s) if you can get them.

Just to confuse Tim I would suggest carrying on with the current chain until the stretch has got to
1/8" as the cassette is already visibly worn, then change the chain and cassette together. As long
as the chainring is not looking shark-toothy it will probably survive.

> > And do people clean the chains between each oiling?
>
> I try to.

Yes. I hold a rag round the bottom stretch and run the chain through it by turning the pedals
backwards a few times. If the chain is reasonably clean I'll then add a drop of oil to each link
straight away, only wiping the surplus off immediately before the next ride. I've tried various
waxes but I still think oil is best even though both the chain and the bike get dirtier.

--
Dave...

Last year I had a problem with my chain coming apart. One link came away from its stud.. When I put
the stud back in, it kept coming out.

As the chain had done about 5,000 miles, I replaced it, but tried to get away with not changing the
rear sprocket. The new chain skipped like mad, and was basically unusable. So I got a new rear
sprocket and all was fine. I haven't had to change the front set (of 3).

I've done another 1,000 miles, and all is well.

Peter.

news:[email protected]...