chains!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Bob Flemming, Jun 8, 2003.

  1. Bob Flemming

    Bob Flemming Guest

    Reading something today in the 'Haynes Bike Book' (1994) caught my eye, as follows:

    "Shimano Hyperglide chains....These are appearing very frequently now, and are now the norm on all
    but the very cheapest of new bikes...These chains need a special pin to rejoin them after being
    split.....If these chains are rejoined in the traditional manner, then although they will appear to
    join, the joined pin will over time work loose, causing your chain to suddenly break".

    To begin with I wasn't even aware there *was* such a chain, and secondly, I'm not even aware if I've
    ever used one, and thirdly, I just use my chain splitter ad infinitum! I need to be more aware of
    what chain is what, yes? (seldom buy new chains...use a lot of second hand stuff)

    bob

    Tags:

  2. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Bob Flemming" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    <snipped stuff about wonderful Shimano chain pins>

    The only Shimano chains I use are those that come as original equipment on a bike. Sram chains are
    just fine and come with an undoable (is that a word?) link (Powerlink).

    These are available on their own and IMHO are a better bet for rejoining a Shimano chain.

    As I learned on a recent ride it's worth keeping used Sram links in your bike tool kit to rejoin
    broken chains. Not only does this save the aggro and potential weakness of forcing a pin back but
    also means the chain retains its original length.

    Pete

  3. Tony R

    Tony R Guest

    "Bob Flemming" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Reading something today in the 'Haynes Bike Book' (1994) caught my eye, as follows:
    >
    > "Shimano Hyperglide chains....These are appearing very frequently now, and are now the norm on all
    > but the very cheapest of new bikes...These chains need a special pin to rejoin them after being
    > split.....If these chains are rejoined in the traditional manner, then although they will appear
    > to join, the joined pin will over time work loose, causing your chain to suddenly break".
    >

    > To begin with I wasn't even aware there *was* such a chain, and secondly, I'm not even aware if
    > I've ever used one, and thirdly, I just use my chain splitter ad infinitum! I need to be more
    > aware of what chain is what, yes? (seldom buy new chains...use a lot of second hand stuff)
    >
    > bob

    The hyperglide chain on my bike has HG stamped on the centre of every fourth or fifth outer plate. I
    think Haynes is referring to the black non-standard pins used to rejoin these chains which, I
    believe, enlarge the hole slightly when fitted. This means you should be careful never to split the
    chain by removing one of the black pins.

    tony R.

  4. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 08 Jun 2003 13:23:22 +0100, Bob Flemming <[email protected]> wrote:

    >To begin with I wasn't even aware there *was* such a chain, and secondly, I'm not even aware if
    >I've ever used one, and thirdly, I just use my chain splitter ad infinitum! I need to be more aware
    >of what chain is what, yes?

    Just another reason to use Sram chains AFAIC. But "all but the cheapest" is putting it a bit
    strongly. Large numbers of perfectly decent bikes ship with Z chains (which I consider terrible but
    others have found acceptable), and some good bikes with Sram.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.