chains!

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob Flemming

Reading something today in the 'Haynes Bike Book' (1994) caught my eye, as follows:

"Shimano Hyperglide chains....These are appearing very frequently now, and are now the norm on all
but the very cheapest of new bikes...These chains need a special pin to rejoin them after being
split.....If these chains are rejoined in the traditional manner, then although they will appear to
join, the joined pin will over time work loose, causing your chain to suddenly break".

To begin with I wasn't even aware there *was* such a chain, and secondly, I'm not even aware if I've
ever used one, and thirdly, I just use my chain splitter ad infinitum! I need to be more aware of
what chain is what, yes? (seldom buy new chains...use a lot of second hand stuff)

bob

"Bob Flemming" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

<snipped stuff about wonderful Shimano chain pins>

The only Shimano chains I use are those that come as original equipment on a bike. Sram chains are
just fine and come with an undoable (is that a word?) link (Powerlink).

These are available on their own and IMHO are a better bet for rejoining a Shimano chain.

As I learned on a recent ride it's worth keeping used Sram links in your bike tool kit to rejoin
broken chains. Not only does this save the aggro and potential weakness of forcing a pin back but
also means the chain retains its original length.

Pete

"Bob Flemming" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> Reading something today in the 'Haynes Bike Book' (1994) caught my eye, as follows:
>
> "Shimano Hyperglide chains....These are appearing very frequently now, and are now the norm on all
> but the very cheapest of new bikes...These chains need a special pin to rejoin them after being
> split.....If these chains are rejoined in the traditional manner, then although they will appear
> to join, the joined pin will over time work loose, causing your chain to suddenly break".
>
>
> To begin with I wasn't even aware there *was* such a chain, and secondly, I'm not even aware if
> I've ever used one, and thirdly, I just use my chain splitter ad infinitum! I need to be more
> aware of what chain is what, yes? (seldom buy new chains...use a lot of second hand stuff)
>
> bob

The hyperglide chain on my bike has HG stamped on the centre of every fourth or fifth outer plate. I
think Haynes is referring to the black non-standard pins used to rejoin these chains which, I
believe, enlarge the hole slightly when fitted. This means you should be careful never to split the
chain by removing one of the black pins.

tony R.

On Sun, 08 Jun 2003 13:23:22 +0100, Bob Flemming <[email protected]> wrote:

>To begin with I wasn't even aware there *was* such a chain, and secondly, I'm not even aware if
>I've ever used one, and thirdly, I just use my chain splitter ad infinitum! I need to be more aware
>of what chain is what, yes?

Just another reason to use Sram chains AFAIC. But "all but the cheapest" is putting it a bit
strongly. Large numbers of perfectly decent bikes ship with Z chains (which I consider terrible but
others have found acceptable), and some good bikes with Sram.

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.