Chains....

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by RubberSideDown, Aug 31, 2005.

1. RubberSideDown

RubberSideDown New Member

I have been through 4 or 5 chains this summer on my mt. bike. :mad: I am an agressive rider and have snapped them too many times. The last one was an SRAM 970. This time I am upgrading to the hollow pin SRAM and am hoping this helps.

Anyone else have issues with chains breaking all the time (or it just seems to be all the time)?

I guess the only good thing about this is... I've become quite the chain fixer-upper guy on the trail. :D

Any input is greatly appreaciated

RIDE ON!
    RubberSideDown

Tags:

2. John M

John M New Member

Where are they breaking? If it is at the site where the chain was shortened during installation, it could be related to damage or improper pin alignment during installation. 9s and 10s chains are narrower and more delicate than previous versions and it seems that chain breakage is a much more common complaint than in the past.

This is not intended to be taken negatively, but it is possible that there could be a repeated error during each chain installation that is contributing to chain failure.

3. RubberSideDown

RubberSideDown New Member

Well, I would love to blame it on an installation issue.
    This last time was purely my fault. I was trying to down shift to the small chain ring on a big hill and it wouldn't shift. So instead of upshifting back to where I was, I left it there clicking away hoping it would shift. In the meantime, I was trying to muscle up the hill at the same time. Something had to give... right? Hence, another broken chain.
    I was able to drop a couple links, put it back together and finish not only that climb, but two other lengthy climbs. Which is more than I can say for the Shimano chains I've gone through.

Oh yeah, I never take anything negatively. I respect all opinions on this message board. It's the experience of other riders that makes this message board worth while. Thanks for the reply.