Chainsaw chain lube - excellent for bike chains!

Bigbananabike

Dec 29, 2004
Hi.
Here's a cheap lube that stays on in the wet etc.
My motorbike mechanic put me on to it. I have it in a oil can and apply it when needed. Cheap compared with bike specific stuff. :)

Yup, we use motorcycle chain lube, comes in a spray can with a little plastic nozzle thingy so you can direct the oil exactly where you want it.

A fraction of the cost of the bicycle specific ones.

I use "Pro Link" "Pro Gold" myself. It's bike chain specific, but it's argueably the best chain lube on the market. Sheldon Brown recommends it, and he's one of the best authorities on bike maintenance here in the U.S.

To quote: "ProLink is a thin bodied lubricant which utilizes Metal Friction Reducer technology - a molecule that bonds to metal surfaces for smooth shifting and a quiet drivetrain. It does not build up or become tacky, and it sheds dirt, mud and abrasion. It also repels moisture and prevents corrosion. Great for cables and derailleurs too."

I can see where motorbike lube can substitute as it does the same thing... but chainsaw lube is different... chainsaw lube also lubes the chain where it slides on the bar... This is a 100% friction situation, like piston rings on a cylinder wall... its different to a chain and sprocket situation...

But whatever works I spose :D

Bigbananabike said:
Hi.
My motorbike mechanic put me on to it. I have it in a oil can and apply it when needed. Cheap compared with bike specific stuff. :)
I've tried some of the red chainsaw lube, but found it too sticky and dirty. Believe a thinner lube is much better for bike chains. Prolink is the best I've found.

As for cost, a 4 oz bottle of Prolink lasts me at least 5000 miles, so the $6.95 price is nothing really. One drop on each link is all that's needed, about 100-200 mile intervals.

I've been cutting wood with chainsaws for over 30 years and all I've ever used to lube the chain is cheapo motor oil, 10w 30 is best.

Bigbananabike said:
Hi.
This is false economy and complete BS!. Chainsaw lubricant is specifically made for chainsaws and is too thick to reliably penetrate the rollers on a bike chain and will also attract a huge amount of dirt.. Chainsaw chains don’t have rollers, they just slide over the bar. It’s a completely different set of conditions.

If you don’t clean and lubricate your bike chain correctly it may last as little as half the distance it should. Now go and compare the cost of a new chain and the difference between chainsaw lubricant and bike chain lubricant and it’s possible that you will see that you are kidding yourself.

Jay.

Does anyone know the word skinflint and it origin?

One would probably spend more money on using more
toilet paper (over a year)than really necessary than the actual cost
of the most expensive chian lube...:eek:

If one does not use a solvent to clean the chain, IMO, there is
no reason why a synthetic lube should not be sufficient.

Lithium grease, teflon base, graffite or silicone sprays...;)

I have heard that Phil Wood's Tenacious Oil is actually chainsaw oil with green coloring. I would not use it as a chain lube unless I was planning on using it in very wet conditions.

If you are worried about price then use homebrew. Three parts oderless mineral spirits and one part synthetic motor oil. You can make more than a liter for less than $10 and you will still have enough oil left for two more batches.

Chainsaw oil, OK, in an emergency, a MTB, in the bush may be OK.

Road bike, that's diffrent. A heavy lube oil will add drag to the drive train. I just tried the chain on a bobin on the skewer driven by the big ring, through the RD, no wheel. The variation in drag with different lubes can easily be felt when turning the cranks by hand.

I now clean with orange oil and a cloth, Lube with White Lithium Grease Spray, smoothe as... :cool:

otherworld said:
This is false economy and complete BS!. Chainsaw lubricant is specifically made for chainsaws and is too thick to reliably penetrate the rollers on a bike chain and will also attract a huge amount of dirt.. Chainsaw chains don’t have rollers, they just slide over the bar. It’s a completely different set of conditions.

If you don’t clean and lubricate your bike chain correctly it may last as little as half the distance it should. Now go and compare the cost of a new chain and the difference between chainsaw lubricant and bike chain lubricant and it’s possible that you will see that you are kidding yourself.

Jay.
===========================================================
Not BS:mad: . It works very well - hence my reason for posting. It's especially good in the wet, gritty conditions - stays where it's put(after dribbling it on initially) and gives a nice 'lubricated' feel to the pedalling action.:)
I get about 5000kms out of chains - I check them against new chains after that period and there is not excessive wear(I am light on gear though).

If you are wanting to lube on the cheap take motor oil and mix with mineral spirits 1:3.

capwater said:
I've been cutting wood with chainsaws for over 30 years and all I've ever used to lube the chain is cheapo motor oil, 10w 30 is best.
I think the sticky chain lube worked well back when chain saws had manual oilers.

These days with the automatic oilers, I think you are right, 10-30 is great.

On a bike the chain lube makes a gooey mess.