Chainset Question

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Nonny, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Nonny

Nonny New Member

I've got a chainset question. I've got a Kona Explosif. Its a few years old. I want to start road time trialling but I have no intention of spending money on a road bike until I am sure I am going to stick to it. As my off road days are fairly limited I am thinking of converting the bike for road use. Apart from the obvious change of knobblies for slicks (recommendations anyone???) I think I could do with larger chainrings. The current chainset is a Sugino thingy. I am considering changing (upgrading) but to get higher gearing I need a chainset that can go beyond say 44 teeth. Has anyone got any suggestions? Has anyone any idea how large a chainring I can use before it will cause problems with rubbing on the stays and/or problems with tooth range for the front derailleur to handle.

Many thanks in advance folks

Tags:

2. percious

percious New Member

You could use at least a 46 tooth setup. You could also replace your rear cassette with tiny cogs. I know the new 9 speed stuff goes down to 11 teeth in the rear, the same may be true of the older stuff.

-percious

3. Nonny

Nonny New Member

Many thanks. Do you have any idea what mtb chainsets if any will take 46 tooth chainrings?

4. percious

percious New Member

hmm... Well, it depends what you have in the rear... Match your chainset your componentry. So, if you have an 8 speed setup, buy an 8 speed chainset. Oh, and you are going to need to replace your chain. Shimano chains should work fine with a 46 tooth chainring. (again you need to match componentry). I know old XTR stuff was 8 speed and 46 tooth. Race face makes some 46 tooth setups too. I would recommend upgrading to the new ISIS system cranks/bbs, they are much better designed then the 4 sided jobbers...

-percious

5. Nonny

Nonny New Member

Oh wow, thank you very much for that. I'll have a lookee see what I can find in that case. Perhaps it'll put an end to my days of spinning the pedals at outrageous speeds rather than 80-110 rpm

6. devon inbred

devon inbred New Member

i have done a similar thing with my hack bike, a good pair of slicks are needed, specialized fatboys 1.0 or conti grandprix, make shure your rims are in good nick to handle the tyre pressure, cranks a 44t ring is fine, if you want a completly higher set of ratio's ie 46t then the deore octalink crankset comes in a 26/36/46 combo which is both cheap and quality. these should get you going.