Chainset tip

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Marnie Crittle, Jan 29, 2003.

  1. Having installed a new Shimano Deore LX FC-M572 Hollowtech chainset, supplied as an alternative to
    the FC-M571 tapered unit I wanted I found the bottom bracket was too short. Problem was the tapered
    crank extractor I have had nothing to push on, the spindle being hollow. I found that a 1 cent
    (Euro) coin was exactly the right size to fit inside the crank and over the face of the spindle and
    I was able to get the cranks off. So if you have any change from your holidays hang on to it.

    Marnie

    Tags:

  2. Sorry, it's a 2 cent coin.

    Marnie "Marnie Crittle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Having installed a new Shimano Deore LX FC-M572 Hollowtech chainset, supplied as an alternative
    > to the FC-M571 tapered unit I wanted I found the bottom bracket was too short. Problem was the
    > tapered crank extractor I have had nothing to push on, the spindle being hollow. I found that a 1
    > cent (Euro) coin was exactly the right size to fit inside the crank and over the face of the
    > spindle and I was able to get the cranks off. So if you have any change from your holidays hang
    > on to it.
    >
    > Marnie

  3. Rory

    Rory Guest

    "Marnie Crittle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Sorry, it's a 2 cent coin.

    Unless it's a Finnish one - they are quite rare. Try and get one with some ol' king queen or grand
    duke on it(*), and screw the extractor pin into their inbred, aristocratic gob!

    (*) NL, LU, BEL, ESP