Chainset tip

Marnie Crittle

Guest
Having installed a new Shimano Deore LX FC-M572 Hollowtech chainset, supplied as an alternative to
the FC-M571 tapered unit I wanted I found the bottom bracket was too short. Problem was the tapered
crank extractor I have had nothing to push on, the spindle being hollow. I found that a 1 cent
(Euro) coin was exactly the right size to fit inside the crank and over the face of the spindle and
I was able to get the cranks off. So if you have any change from your holidays hang on to it.

Marnie

Sorry, it's a 2 cent coin.

Marnie "Marnie Crittle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Having installed a new Shimano Deore LX FC-M572 Hollowtech chainset, supplied as an alternative
> to the FC-M571 tapered unit I wanted I found the bottom bracket was too short. Problem was the
> tapered crank extractor I have had nothing to push on, the spindle being hollow. I found that a 1
> cent (Euro) coin was exactly the right size to fit inside the crank and over the face of the
> spindle and I was able to get the cranks off. So if you have any change from your holidays hang
> on to it.
>
> Marnie

"Marnie Crittle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Sorry, it's a 2 cent coin.

Unless it's a Finnish one - they are quite rare. Try and get one with some ol' king queen or grand
duke on it(*), and screw the extractor pin into their inbred, aristocratic gob!

(*) NL, LU, BEL, ESP