chainsets, mechs. why on the right?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Keiron Kinninmo, Jun 30, 2003.

  1. any ideas why bikes have been designed with mechs and chainsets on the right hand side of a bike?
    would it make a difference?

    Tags:

  2. "Keiron Kinninmont" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > any ideas why bikes have been designed with mechs and chainsets on the
    right
    > hand side of a bike? would it make a difference?

    Because most people prefer to grind on the left. Oops wrong group.

  3. Ben

    Ben Guest

    Dave W <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 27 Jun 2003 09:16:46 -0700, [email protected] (Spider) wrote:
    >
    > >While he might not have figured that out, he certainly knows not to take advice from Dave "always
    > >wrong" Wussyass, because banging your head against the wall is so much more productive.
    >
    > He arachnoid, don't you think the advice is sound given what Pete lead this thread into.

    LOL! He knows a hell of a lot about URTs, considering his bike is one...

    > Oh, nevermind, I forgot you're a dumbass...

    Considering the amount of useful information you have given to this thread, I'll just chalk it up to
    more WussyAss irony.

    > Sorry, my mistake.

    This should be your sig line. It's about the only thing you've ever written that even makes a little
    bit of sense, or is even relevant, for that matter.

    > Dave (Kiss my wussyass!)

    I would, but I don't have all day.

    Spider

  4. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Ben wrote:
    > Keiron Kinninmont wrote:
    >
    >>any ideas why bikes have been designed with mechs and chainsets on the right hand side of a bike?
    >>would it make a difference?
    >

    > If they were on the other side bikes would fall over because of the way the world spins.
    Thats why bikes sold in the southern hemisphere have everything mounted on the left side.

  5. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > any ideas why bikes have been designed with mechs and chainsets on the
    right
    > hand side of a bike? would it make a difference?

    They wouldn't work very well on the wrong hand side, now would they?

  6. Bo Lind

    Bo Lind Guest

    Keiron Kinninmont wrote:

    > any ideas why bikes have been designed with mechs and chainsets on the right hand side of a bike?
    > would it make a difference?

    This dude has them on the left:

    http://www.messengers.org/messville/dexter.html

    My shot is that most people are right handed and, to a certain extent, right footed (e.g. which
    foot do you prefer to kich a ball with?), so when the choice had to be made, the right side
    seemed obvious.

    Bo

  7. "Keiron Kinninmont" <[email protected]> wrote

    > any ideas why bikes have been designed with mechs and chainsets on the right hand side of a bike?
    > would it make a difference?

    If it's on the left it means you're gay.

    CC

  8. good artical :) feel sorry for the guy but good for him :)

    CS "Bo Lind" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Keiron Kinninmont wrote:
    >
    > > any ideas why bikes have been designed with mechs and chainsets on the right hand side of a
    > > bike? would it make a difference?
    >
    > This dude has them on the left:
    >
    > http://www.messengers.org/messville/dexter.html
    >
    > My shot is that most people are right handed and, to a certain extent,
    right
    > footed (e.g. which foot do you prefer to kich a ball with?), so when the choice had to be made,
    > the right side seemed obvious.
    >
    > Bo

  9. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Corvus Corvax" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Keiron Kinninmont" <[email protected]> wrote
    > >
    > > any ideas why bikes have been designed with mechs and chainsets on the
    right
    > > hand side of a bike? would it make a difference?
    >
    > If it's on the left it means you're gay.
    >
    > CC

    ....Wot?...as in 'happy' ??

    Dave 'always wondered about the funny looks he got from folks when singing along with Tom Robinson's
    "sing if you're glad to be gay"...'

  10. Rob

    Rob Guest

    "Rich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Ben wrote:
    > > Keiron Kinninmont wrote:
    > >
    > >>any ideas why bikes have been designed with mechs and chainsets on the right hand side of a
    > >>bike? would it make a difference?
    > >

    > > If they were on the other side bikes would fall over because of the way the world spins.
    > Thats why bikes sold in the southern hemisphere have everything mounted on the left side.

    That explains why I was having such a hard time climbing the hills on Sunday - I've got a Northern
    Hemisphere bike!

    Rob

  11. damn you all! : P (cept bo, cheers mate) i'll keep those little wonders to myself from now
    on, sniff.

    cheers

    > "Corvus Corvax" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "Keiron Kinninmont" <[email protected]> wrote
    > > >
    > > > any ideas why bikes have been designed with mechs and chainsets on the
    > right
    > > > hand side of a bike? would it make a difference?
    > >
    > > If it's on the left it means you're gay.
    > >
    > > CC
    >
    > ....Wot?...as in 'happy' ??
    >
    > Dave 'always wondered about the funny looks he got from folks when singing along with Tom
    > Robinson's "sing if you're glad to be gay"...'

  12. Martees

    Martees Guest

    "Keiron Kinninmont" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > any ideas why bikes have been designed with mechs and chainsets on the
    right
    > hand side of a bike? would it make a difference?

    Throw back to horses? You dismount off the left?

    Hell-if-ino. Never really thought about but it might be an interesting winter google search with a
    Killians or two or four...........

    Marty

  13. "Corvus Corvax" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Keiron Kinninmont" <[email protected]> wrote
    > >
    > > any ideas why bikes have been designed with mechs and chainsets on the
    right
    > > hand side of a bike? would it make a difference?
    >
    > If it's on the left it means you're gay.
    >
    > CC

    LMAO

  14. i like that one, i'll go with that. cheers