Chainwear

Lazarus-g

Oct 26, 2001
How long should a chain last ? and how can you really tell when it's time to change it ?<br /><br />The bad weather finally killed off my bottom bracket which I duly changed today, but in the process noticed the chain was loose and I remember seeing a picture where it showed if you can pull the chain off the large cog then it's time to change to chain. (I wish I could find that picture).<br /><br />The thing is working fine, but does there get a point where it will start causing damage to other parts of the bike, so is it beneficial to change the bloody thing.<br /><br />Another point is now that winter has arrived is it worth changing, because the new chain will get hammered by the bad weather and I suppose drastically shorten it's life.<br /><br />I should point out that I'm talking about my Mtb.<br /><br />Any input would be gratefully recieved.<br /><br />I just realised that I should have posted this in the Mtb section sorry. steve would you mind moving it :-[

you aren't very clear in your message. <br /><br />are you changing your bottom bracket, but have never changed your chain? if that's the case then I'd say you're long overdue! a bottom bracket, unless you **** it up somehow, should outlast several chains.<br /><br />mtb chain life depends more on conditions rather than pure mileage as a road chain would.<br /><br />constantly dirty, muddy, gritty conditions will wear a chain out pretty fast...maybe every 600 - 800 miles. a road chain, I think, should be changd every 2500 - 3000 miles. a good chain saves wear on chain rings and cassettes.

Sorry BRK.<br /><br />The bottom bracket has been changed , I bought a Shimano XT 72 it's cheap but i'll see how long it lasts.<br /><br />The chain has never been changed and it has about 1,800miles on it, so I guess it's time for a replacement.<br /><br />Since posting I've been looking at makes of chains and prices, so does anybody have recommendations ?<br /><br />Thanks for the reply<br /><br />Laz

Chainwear you can measure the length of a certain part of your chain and compare to a new one(you mesure the amount of stretching), there are special tools for this.<br />cheaper and easier put chain on big front cog, try to lift it at the front side, is it possible to see 2 or more complete dents it's time to replace. <br /><br />Look at your rear cog's to if they are used up a new chain will stretch much faster or even jump the cog.<br /><br />For 9 or 8 speed you can buy S-ram chains over here they are for similar quality half the price of regular campy/shimano

[quote author=maarten link=board=20;threadid=2741;start=0#23417 date=1039360165]<br /><br />cheaper and easier put chain on big front cog, try to lift it at the front side, is it possible to see 2 or more complete dents it's time to replace. <br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />Thanks Maartan that's what I was trying to say, and the answer is yes I can easily see two dents.<br /><br /><br />So I guess it really is time to change the chain, maybe I'll add it to the bottom of my Christmas list :)

[quote author=maarten link=board=20;threadid=2741;start=0#23417 date=1039360165]<br />Look at your rear cog's to if they are used up a new chain will stretch much faster or even jump the cog.<br /><br />For 9 or 8 speed you can buy S-ram chains over here they are for similar quality half the price of regular campy/shimano<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Maarten I did buy a S-ram and changed the thing yesterday, but I made one error - I didn't take the bike for a ride ::), This morning I went to take the bike on my commute and I didn't even manage to get 50 yards, As you posted above the chain jumped the cog badly.<br /><br />Still I managed another upgrade ;) XT bottom bracket last week,XT Cassette this week, What next ?<br /><br />One more thing now that the chain is easier to take off and clean, just how often is it worth doing, it's winter here in the UK so it's going to take a hammering.<br /><br />Once again thanks

If you do clean the chain don't use strong products you risk not only taking of the dirt but also getting the grease out of the bearings and there is no way to re grease it properly.