Chainwheel teeth uneven spacing and shape ?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Tb, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tb

Tb Guest

Hi, I recently purchased 2 new Shogun Trailbreaker 2 mountain bikes, the other day I noticed that
    some of the teeth on the front chainwheels appear to be unevenly spaced and not a consistent shape.
    This appears to be more prominent on the central chainwheel where some of the teeth are shaped like
    shark fins, others are a normal symmetrical triangle shape and some appear to have a rounded top.
    The small chainwheel appears to have consistent and evenly spaced teeth, the largest chainwheel has
    two adjacent teeth which have a rounded top. I was able to locate information on Hyperglide, but
    the information on Hyperglide appears to relate only to the back gears, I haven't been able to
    locate any information relating to the front chainwheels. Any assistance would be greatly
    appreciated. Thanks

Tony

Tags:

2. Bomba

Bomba Guest

TB wrote:
    > Hi, I recently purchased 2 new Shogun Trailbreaker 2 mountain bikes, the other day I noticed that
    > some of the teeth on the front chainwheels appear to be unevenly spaced and not a consistent
    > shape. This appears to be more prominent on the central chainwheel where some of the teeth are
    > shaped like shark fins, others are a normal symmetrical triangle shape and some appear to have a
    > rounded top. The small chainwheel appears to have consistent and evenly spaced teeth, the largest
    > chainwheel has two adjacent teeth which have a rounded top. I was able to locate information on
    > Hyperglide, but the information on Hyperglide appears to relate only to the back gears, I haven't
    > been able to locate any information relating to the front chainwheels. Any assistance would be
    > greatly appreciated. Thanks

Um, was there a question? Yes, your chain rings are supposed to be like that - it improves shifting.

--
    a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm

b.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

3. Shaun Rimmer

Shaun Rimmer Guest

TB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, I recently purchased 2 new Shogun Trailbreaker 2 mountain bikes, the other day I noticed
    > that some of the teeth on the front chainwheels appear to be unevenly spaced and not a
    > consistent shape. This appears to be more prominent on the central chainwheel where some of the
    > teeth are shaped
    > shark fins, others are a normal symmetrical triangle shape and some appear to have a rounded top.
    > The small chainwheel appears to have consistent and evenly spaced teeth, the largest chainwheel
    > has two adjacent teeth which have a rounded top. I was able to locate information on Hyperglide,
    > but the information on Hyperglide appears to relate only to the back gears, I haven't been able
    to
    > locate any information relating to the front chainwheels. Any assistance would be greatly
    > appreciated. Thanks

If they are new rings, it will be that some teeth are a little different to (supposedly) work in
    conjunction with the ramps and pegs in the chain ring, to give cleaner shifting.

Shaun aRe

4. Andy Chequer

Andy Chequer Guest

"Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >
    > TB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi, I recently purchased 2 new Shogun Trailbreaker 2 mountain bikes, the
    other
    > > day I noticed that some of the teeth on the front chainwheels appear to
    be
    > > unevenly spaced and not a consistent shape. This appears to be more prominent on the central
    > > chainwheel where some of the teeth are shaped
    > like
    > > shark fins, others are a normal symmetrical triangle shape and some
    appear
    > > to have a rounded top. The small chainwheel appears to have consistent
    and
    > > evenly spaced teeth, the largest chainwheel has two adjacent teeth which have a rounded top. I
    > > was able to locate information on Hyperglide, but the information on Hyperglide appears to
    > > relate only to the back gears, I haven't been able
    > to
    > > locate any information relating to the front chainwheels. Any assistance would be greatly
    > > appreciated. Thanks
    >
    > If they are new rings, it will be that some teeth are a little different
    to
    > (supposedly) work in conjunction with the ramps and pegs in the chain
    ring,
    > to give cleaner shifting.
    >
    > Shaun aRe

Last year I bought some Pace chainrings (damn, they were cheap!!!) to fit a Syncros crankset (which
    was also damn cheap). The Pace rings have no cunning profiling and shift pins a la HyperGlide, and
    being used to HyperGlide rings I was a tad apprehensive about wether or not shifting was going to be
    any good. And it was. Flawless. And it still is.

To the OP, as Bomba and Rimmer said, the funny shaped teeth are normal. Though they threw me when I
    first got a hyperglide equipped bike.

To coin a JDism, "Hype-Glide?" Possibly.

Andy Chequer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.