Chainwheel teeth uneven spacing and shape ?

Tb

Guest
Hi, I recently purchased 2 new Shogun Trailbreaker 2 mountain bikes, the other day I noticed that
some of the teeth on the front chainwheels appear to be unevenly spaced and not a consistent shape.
This appears to be more prominent on the central chainwheel where some of the teeth are shaped like
shark fins, others are a normal symmetrical triangle shape and some appear to have a rounded top.
The small chainwheel appears to have consistent and evenly spaced teeth, the largest chainwheel has
two adjacent teeth which have a rounded top. I was able to locate information on Hyperglide, but
the information on Hyperglide appears to relate only to the back gears, I haven't been able to
locate any information relating to the front chainwheels. Any assistance would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks

Tony

TB wrote:
> Hi, I recently purchased 2 new Shogun Trailbreaker 2 mountain bikes, the other day I noticed that
> some of the teeth on the front chainwheels appear to be unevenly spaced and not a consistent
> shape. This appears to be more prominent on the central chainwheel where some of the teeth are
> shaped like shark fins, others are a normal symmetrical triangle shape and some appear to have a
> rounded top. The small chainwheel appears to have consistent and evenly spaced teeth, the largest
> chainwheel has two adjacent teeth which have a rounded top. I was able to locate information on
> Hyperglide, but the information on Hyperglide appears to relate only to the back gears, I haven't
> been able to locate any information relating to the front chainwheels. Any assistance would be
> greatly appreciated. Thanks

Um, was there a question? Yes, your chain rings are supposed to be like that - it improves shifting.

TB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi, I recently purchased 2 new Shogun Trailbreaker 2 mountain bikes, the other day I noticed
> that some of the teeth on the front chainwheels appear to be unevenly spaced and not a
> consistent shape. This appears to be more prominent on the central chainwheel where some of the
> teeth are shaped
like
> shark fins, others are a normal symmetrical triangle shape and some appear to have a rounded top.
> The small chainwheel appears to have consistent and evenly spaced teeth, the largest chainwheel
> has two adjacent teeth which have a rounded top. I was able to locate information on Hyperglide,
> but the information on Hyperglide appears to relate only to the back gears, I haven't been able
> locate any information relating to the front chainwheels. Any assistance would be greatly
> appreciated. Thanks

If they are new rings, it will be that some teeth are a little different to (supposedly) work in
conjunction with the ramps and pegs in the chain ring, to give cleaner shifting.

Shaun aRe

> TB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Hi, I recently purchased 2 new Shogun Trailbreaker 2 mountain bikes, the
other
> > day I noticed that some of the teeth on the front chainwheels appear to
be
> > unevenly spaced and not a consistent shape. This appears to be more prominent on the central
> > chainwheel where some of the teeth are shaped
> like
> > shark fins, others are a normal symmetrical triangle shape and some
appear
> > to have a rounded top. The small chainwheel appears to have consistent
and
> > evenly spaced teeth, the largest chainwheel has two adjacent teeth which have a rounded top. I
> > was able to locate information on Hyperglide, but the information on Hyperglide appears to
> > relate only to the back gears, I haven't been able
> > locate any information relating to the front chainwheels. Any assistance would be greatly
> > appreciated. Thanks
>
> If they are new rings, it will be that some teeth are a little different
> (supposedly) work in conjunction with the ramps and pegs in the chain
ring,
> to give cleaner shifting.
>
> Shaun aRe

Last year I bought some Pace chainrings (damn, they were cheap!!!) to fit a Syncros crankset (which
was also damn cheap). The Pace rings have no cunning profiling and shift pins a la HyperGlide, and
being used to HyperGlide rings I was a tad apprehensive about wether or not shifting was going to be
any good. And it was. Flawless. And it still is.

To the OP, as Bomba and Rimmer said, the funny shaped teeth are normal. Though they threw me when I
first got a hyperglide equipped bike.

To coin a JDism, "Hype-Glide?" Possibly.

Andy Chequer