Chainwheels for TruVativ Touro?

Mike Rocket J Squirrel

Guest
The cheap and cheerful Motobecane Messenger fixed/singlespeed bike comes
with a TruVativ Touro crankset with a single 48T chainwheel. Anyone sell
other size chainwheels that will fit this thing?
--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"

On Mar 22, 7:16 pm, Mike Rocket J Squirrel
<[email protected]> wrote:
> The cheap and cheerful Motobecane Messenger fixed/singlespeed bike comes
> with a TruVativ Touro crankset with a single 48T chainwheel. Anyone sell
> other size chainwheels that will fit this thing?
> --
> Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"

Standard 130mm BCD, AFAIK. If you want to gear the thing to "standard
consensus" road gearing for rolling hills, swapping out the rear 16t
cog for a handsome Surly 18t jobber would do the trick. Available in
1/4" so you can run cheap $10 nickle KMC BMX chains that are tough and
trouble free. Alternately, you can get a SS Claws freewheel for cheep.

On Mar 23, 1:43 am, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 22, 7:16 pm, Mike Rocket J Squirrel
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > The cheap and cheerful Motobecane Messenger fixed/singlespeed bike comes
> > with a TruVativ Touro crankset with a single 48T chainwheel. Anyone sell
> > other size chainwheels that will fit this thing?
> > --
> > Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"

> Standard 130mm BCD, AFAIK. If you want to gear the thing to "standard
> consensus" road gearing for rolling hills, swapping out the rear 16t
> cog for a handsome Surly 18t jobber would do the trick. Available in
> 1/4" so you can run cheap $10 nickle KMC BMX chains that are tough and
> trouble free. Alternately, you can get a SS Claws freewheel for cheep.

I second that. The stock cog (if it is the same as the one on the
Windsor Hour, which it probably is) is pretty cheap-o. I swapped for
an 18T 1/8" Surly before my first ride to avoid problems and to get
the gearing I wanted.

Money spent on a new quality cog which can also give a new gear, is
money better spent than on a new chainring.

Joseph

On 3/22/2008 5:43 PM landotter wrote:

> On Mar 22, 7:16 pm, Mike Rocket J Squirrel
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> The cheap and cheerful Motobecane Messenger fixed/singlespeed bike comes
>> with a TruVativ Touro crankset with a single 48T chainwheel. Anyone sell
>> other size chainwheels that will fit this thing?
>> --
>> Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"

> Standard 130mm BCD, AFAIK. If you want to gear the thing to "standard
> consensus" road gearing for rolling hills, swapping out the rear 16t
> cog for a handsome Surly 18t jobber would do the trick. Available in
> 1/4" so you can run cheap $10 nickle KMC BMX chains that are tough and
> trouble free. Alternately, you can get a SS Claws freewheel for cheep.

Thanks, landotter!

"Standard consensus" gearing is too tall for me. I have hills and dales,
and I'm old and fat. Short, too. With an artificial knee. Yeah, yeah, I
have to beat back the women. But anyway, I could make the cog larger or
shrink the chainwheel. I like the looks of smaller, so that's what I'm
a-gonna do and ain't nobody gonna talk me out of it.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"

On Mar 23, 1:23 pm, Mike Rocket J Squirrel
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On 3/22/2008 5:43 PM landotter wrote:
>
> > On Mar 22, 7:16 pm, Mike Rocket J Squirrel
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> The cheap and cheerful Motobecane Messenger fixed/singlespeed bike comes
> >> with a TruVativ Touro crankset with a single 48T chainwheel. Anyone sell
> >> other size chainwheels that will fit this thing?
> >> --
> >> Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"

> > Standard 130mm BCD, AFAIK. If you want to gear the thing to "standard
> > consensus" road gearing for rolling hills, swapping out the rear 16t
> > cog for a handsome Surly 18t jobber would do the trick. Available in
> > 1/4" so you can run cheap $10 nickle KMC BMX chains that are tough and
> > trouble free. Alternately, you can get a SS Claws freewheel for cheep.

> Thanks, landotter!
>
> "Standard consensus" gearing is too tall for me. I have hills and dales,
> and I'm old and fat. Short, too. With an artificial knee. Yeah, yeah, I
> have to beat back the women. But anyway, I could make the cog larger or
> shrink the chainwheel. I like the looks of smaller, so that's what I'm
> a-gonna do and ain't nobody gonna talk me out of it.

More teeth will last longer! However, they'll weigh more, and you'll
go 0.000001% slower! Google "microdrive"--might be worth a look. With
hills and dales and a funny knee--the Motobecane rebuilt with a hub
gear seems optimally cool.

landotter <[email protected]> writes:

> More teeth will last longer! However, they'll weigh more, and you'll
> go 0.000001% slower!

More teeth also give lower transmission losses in the drivetrain, so
you might actually go 0.001% faster. (The difference is greater with
smaller cogs and possibly even almost noticeable below 13T.)

On 3/23/2008 11:36 AM landotter wrote:

> On Mar 23, 1:23 pm, Mike Rocket J Squirrel
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On 3/22/2008 5:43 PM landotter wrote:

>>> Standard 130mm BCD, AFAIK. If you want to gear the thing to "standard
>>> consensus" road gearing for rolling hills, swapping out the rear 16t
>>> cog for a handsome Surly 18t jobber would do the trick. Available in
>>> 1/4" so you can run cheap $10 nickle KMC BMX chains that are tough and
>>> trouble free. Alternately, you can get a SS Claws freewheel for cheep.

>> Thanks, landotter!
>>
>> "Standard consensus" gearing is too tall for me. I have hills and dales,
>> and I'm old and fat. Short, too. With an artificial knee. Yeah, yeah, I
>> have to beat back the women. But anyway, I could make the cog larger or
>> shrink the chainwheel. I like the looks of smaller, so that's what I'm
>> a-gonna do and ain't nobody gonna talk me out of it.

> More teeth will last longer! However, they'll weigh more, and you'll
> go 0.000001% slower! Google "microdrive"--might be worth a look. With
> hills and dales and a funny knee--the Motobecane rebuilt with a hub
> gear seems optimally cool.

Great ideas to mull.

So ... microdrive uses a bittier chainwheel and a bittier cog. That would
achieve my goal of not having a big-looking cog. That stuff still
available? Sheldon, Mashbar, Preformance don't list microdrive components.
In fact, I am not finding a lot of tech talk about microdrive.

W/r/t a hub gear -- yeah, that's a cool idea. I wouldn't even need a large
range, even a three-speed would work. I have laced up a couple wheels with
tolerable results. So the questions expand to:

1. Can microdrive components (chainwheel & cog) be used on the Motobecane
Messenger w/ its 130 BCD crank? I don't want to spend much on $wapping out
the crank$et.

1a. What's the smallest chainwheel that can be used on the TruVativ Touro
(130 BDC) crankset?

2. Is there a reasonably affordable geared hub? in case I am feeling all
adventurous and spokey and stuff?

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" -- who now realizes that he'll have to do some
mighty fast talking to explain Yet Another Bike to Mrs Squirrel.

On 3/23/2008 11:53 AM A R:nen wrote:

> landotter <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> More teeth will last longer! However, they'll weigh more, and you'll
>> go 0.000001% slower!

> More teeth also give lower transmission losses in the drivetrain, so
> you might actually go 0.001% faster. (The difference is greater with
> smaller cogs and possibly even almost noticeable below 13T.)

Careful testing under clinical conditions need to be done.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"

When I wrote:

> 1a. What's the smallest chainwheel that can be used on the TruVativ Touro
> (130 BDC) crankset?

I meant to say "What's the smallest NORMAL (i.e., non microdrive)
chainwheel that can be used on the TruVativ Touro (130 BCD) crankset?

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/nanodrive/index.html

> 1a. What's the smallest chainwheel that can be used on the TruVativ Touro
> (130 BDC) crankset?

Keep what ya got--seriously, unless you ebay or find a sale, front
ring is gonna run $35 while a rear cog is half that, unless it's a
fancy one.

> 2. Is there a reasonably affordable geared hub? in case I am feeling all
> adventurous and spokey and stuff?

A new Sturmey Archer with a shifter can be found for $60. That's
what's gonna fit the current spacing. Don't know how friendly they are
with rearward facing dropouts. I like the idea--sorta 50s club racery.
You'll probably want to get a trigger shifter for it, as it comes with
a stupid gripshift, however, I do believe the new hubshells are alloy,
and that the stock cog is ~20t which should give you a nice set of
gear ratios.

On 3/23/2008 3:01 PM landotter wrote:

> On Mar 23, 4:34 pm, Mike Rocket J Squirrel
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On 3/23/2008 11:36 AM landotter wrote:

>>> More teeth will last longer! However, they'll weigh more, and you'll
>>> go 0.000001% slower! Google "microdrive"--might be worth a look. With
>>> hills and dales and a funny knee--the Motobecane rebuilt with a hub
>>> gear seems optimally cool.

>> Great ideas to mull.
>>
>> So ... microdrive uses a bittier chainwheel and a bittier cog. That would
>> achieve my goal of not having a big-looking cog. That stuff still
>> available? Sheldon, Mashbar, Preformance don't list microdrive components.
>> In fact, I am not finding a lot of tech talk about microdrive.
>>
>> W/r/t a hub gear -- yeah, that's a cool idea. I wouldn't even need a large
>> range, even a three-speed would work. I have laced up a couple wheels with
>> tolerable results. So the questions expand to:
>>
>> 1. Can microdrive components (chainwheel & cog) be used on the Motobecane
>> Messenger w/ its 130 BCD crank? I don't want to spend much on $wapping out
>> the crank$et.

> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/nanodrive/index.html

Okay, that looks pretty interesting . . . hey, wait a minute!

>> 1a. What's the smallest chainwheel that can be used on the TruVativ Touro
>> (130 BDC) crankset?
>>

> Keep what ya got--seriously, unless you ebay or find a sale, front
> ring is gonna run $35 while a rear cog is half that, unless it's a
> fancy one.

Good advice, but seriously, how small can you reasonably go w/ 130 BCD?

>> 2. Is there a reasonably affordable geared hub? in case I am feeling all
>> adventurous and spokey and stuff?
>>

> A new Sturmey Archer with a shifter can be found for $60. That's
> what's gonna fit the current spacing.

What's the spacing that I want to match? This $53 S-A S30 comes in 175mm
and 162.7mm flavors.
http://www.ebikestop.com/sturmey_archer_s30_3spd_internal_hub_no_brake-HU2209.php

> Don't know how friendly they are with rearward facing dropouts.

What are the issues I might have to creatively overcome?

> I like the idea--sorta 50s club racery.
> You'll probably want to get a trigger shifter for it, as it comes with
> a stupid gripshift, however, I do believe the new hubshells are alloy,
> and that the stock cog is ~20t which should give you a nice set of
> gear ratios.

Thank, landotter -- this is all great information!

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"

On Mar 23, 6:21 pm, Mike Rocket J Squirrel
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On 3/23/2008 3:01 PM landotter wrote:
>

> > On Mar 23, 4:34 pm, Mike Rocket J Squirrel
> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Great ideas to mull.

> >> So ... microdrive uses a bittier chainwheel and a bittier cog. That would
> >> achieve my goal of not having a big-looking cog. That stuff still
> >> available? Sheldon, Mashbar, Preformance don't list microdrive components.
> >> In fact, I am not finding a lot of tech talk about microdrive.

> >> W/r/t a hub gear -- yeah, that's a cool idea. I wouldn't even need a large
> >> range, even a three-speed would work. I have laced up a couple wheels with
> >> tolerable results. So the questions expand to:

> >> 1. Can microdrive components (chainwheel & cog) be used on the Motobecane
> >> Messenger w/ its 130 BCD crank? I don't want to spend much on $wapping out
> >> the crank$et.

> >http://www.sheldonbrown.com/nanodrive/index.html

> Okay, that looks pretty interesting . . . hey, wait a minute!
>
> >> 1a. What's the smallest chainwheel that can be used on the TruVativ Touro
> >> (130 BDC) crankset?

> > Keep what ya got--seriously, unless you ebay or find a sale, front
> > ring is gonna run $35 while a rear cog is half that, unless it's a
> > fancy one.

> Good advice, but seriously, how small can you reasonably go w/ 130 BCD?

40t

> >> 2. Is there a reasonably affordable geared hub? in case I am feeling all
> >> adventurous and spokey and stuff?

> > A new Sturmey Archer  with a shifter can be found for $60. That's
> > what's gonna fit the current spacing.

> What's the spacing that I want to match? This $53 S-A S30 comes in 175mm
> and 162.7mm flavors.http://www.ebikestop.com

Shorter one, of course.

>/sturmey_archer_s30_3spd_internal_hub_no_brak...
>
> > Don't know how friendly they are with rearward facing dropouts.

> What are the issues I might have to creatively overcome?

Anti rotation washers might fit perfectly, might not. Probably pretty
easy to deal with.

> > I like the idea--sorta 50s club racery.
> > You'll probably want to get a trigger shifter for it, as it comes with
> > a stupid gripshift, however, I do believe the new hubshells are alloy,
> > and that the stock cog is ~20t which should give you a nice set of
> > gear ratios.

> Thank, landotter -- this is all great information!

Have fun. $400 with bits and bobs for a three speed club racer isn't
bad--you'll be the only guy on your block with one. Don't forget the
trigger shifter.

Mike Rocket J Squirrel wrote:
> I meant to say "What's the smallest NORMAL (i.e., non microdrive)
> chainwheel that can be used on the TruVativ Touro (130 BCD) crankset?

130 was designed to limit at 39 teeth. There are aftermarket 38 rings
which may require some filing of the crank spider.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Mike Rocket J Squirrel <[email protected]> writes:
> On 3/23/2008 11:53 AM A R:nen wrote:

> > More teeth also give lower transmission losses in the drivetrain, so
> > you might actually go 0.001% faster. (The difference is greater with
> > smaller cogs and possibly even almost noticeable below 13T.)

> Careful testing under clinical conditions need to be done.

9 out of 10 dentists already recommend that you don't use cogs smaller
than 13T. Anyway, if you really want clinical tests on the subject,
check out the books "Bicycling Science" and "High-Tech Cycling".

On 3/24/2008 1:21 AM A R:nen wrote:

> Mike Rocket J Squirrel <[email protected]> writes:
>> On 3/23/2008 11:53 AM A R:nen wrote:

>>> More teeth also give lower transmission losses in the drivetrain, so
>>> you might actually go 0.001% faster. (The difference is greater with
>>> smaller cogs and possibly even almost noticeable below 13T.)

>> Careful testing under clinical conditions need to be done.

> 9 out of 10 dentists already recommend that you don't use cogs smaller
> than 13T. Anyway, if you really want clinical tests on the subject,
> check out the books "Bicycling Science" and "High-Tech Cycling".

I always pay attention to the ADA's recommendations.

It's true that there are probably few corners of cycling physics that have
not been peered into. In fact, finding an aspect of cycling physics which
is important enough to be studied, yet hasn't been, might be a swell
subject for a mind-numbingly long and almost certainly pointless thread.
Call it "Unsolved Mysteries of Bicycles." Speculation about /why/ that
subject has been inexplicably ignored is always a good thread launcher,
too: it brings the conspiracists outta the woodwork.

<pauses to add ""Unsolved Mysteries of Bicycles" to killfile before
pressing "send">

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"

On 3/23/2008 7:10 PM landotter wrote:

> On Mar 23, 6:21 pm, Mike Rocket J Squirrel
> <[email protected]> wrote:

>> What's the spacing that I want to match? This $53 S-A S30 comes in 175mm
>> and 162.7mm flavors.

> Shorter one, of course.

Ah. But of course!

>>> Don't know how friendly they are with rearward facing dropouts.

>> What are the issues I might have to creatively overcome?

> Anti rotation washers might fit perfectly, might not. Probably pretty
> easy to deal with.

Something like the HMW494 listed on
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/sturmey-archer-parts.html ?

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
(This is gonna be fun. Now all I need to find is four hundred unclaimed

On Mar 24, 11:23 am, Mike Rocket J Squirrel
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On 3/23/2008 7:10 PM landotter wrote:
>
> > On Mar 23, 6:21 pm, Mike Rocket J Squirrel
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> What's the spacing that I want to match? This $53 S-A S30 comes in 175mm
> >> and 162.7mm flavors.

> > Shorter one, of course.

> Ah. But of course!

> >> What are the issues I might have to creatively overcome?

> > Anti rotation washers might fit perfectly, might not. Probably pretty
> > easy to deal with.

> Something like the HMW494 listed onhttp://sheldonbrown.com/harris/sturmey-archer-parts.html?

Should come with some.

> --
> Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
> (This is gonna be fun. Now all I need to find is four hundred unclaimed
> dollars)

All I need is a hub and spokes, already got the ss bike...

On 3/24/2008 10:06 AM landotter wrote:

> On Mar 24, 11:23 am, Mike Rocket J Squirrel
> <[email protected]> wrote:

>> (This is gonna be fun. Now all I need to find is four hundred unclaimed
>> dollars)

> All I need is a hub and spokes, already got the ss bike...

You're far ahead of me. And, given my riding "style," are bound to stay
that way!

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"