Chair of all-party cycling group deselected

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Just zis Guy, Feb 22, 2004.

  1. Just zis Guy

    Just zis Guy Guest

    My MP, Jane Griffiths, chair of the all-party cycling group, has been deselected. This is mainly the
    result of factional in-fighting in the local constituency party which has been going on for years.

    The replacement candidate has two convictions for indecency so is unlikely to win what was until
    1997 a Tory seat.

    Guy
    ===
    http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

  2. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    > The replacement candidate has two convictions for indecency so is unlikely to win what was until
    > 1997 a Tory seat.

    I imagine he's a flash in the pan.
    --
    Regards, Pete

  3. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? posted ...

    > My MP, Jane Griffiths, chair of the all-party cycling group, has been deselected. This is
    > mainly the result of factional in-fighting in the local constituency party which has been going
    > on for years.
    >
    > The replacement candidate has two convictions for indecency so is unlikely to win what was until
    > 1997 a Tory seat.

    Bummer ...

    --
    Paul

    (8(|) Homer rocks .. ;)

  4. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > My MP, Jane Griffiths, chair of the all-party cycling group, has been deselected.

    Have you not said in the past that she'd swallowed the BeHIT line without question? If so, then this
    should be no bad thing.

    Graeme

  5. W K

    W K Guest

    > My MP, Jane Griffiths, chair of the all-party cycling group, has been deselected. This is
    > mainly the result of factional in-fighting in the local constituency party which has been going
    > on for years.

    I heard this on the radio. She sounds like a git with no interpersonal skills, who just rubbed
    everyone up the wrong way.

  6. JohnB

    JohnB Guest

    W K wrote:

    > "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > My MP, Jane Griffiths, chair of the all-party cycling group, has been deselected. This is mainly
    > > the result of factional in-fighting in the local constituency party which has been going on for
    > > years.
    >
    > I heard this on the radio. She sounds like a git with no interpersonal skills, who just rubbed
    > everyone up the wrong way.

    And the period up until the election while she remains an MP, she will no doubt cause as many
    problems as she can.

    Meanwhile the liklihood is that the Tories will throw everything at Reading to try and win the seat
    back. Expect mud-raking.

    John B

  7. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> writes:

    > My MP, Jane Griffiths, chair of the all-party cycling group, has been deselected. This is
    > mainly the result of factional in-fighting in the local constituency party which has been going
    > on for years.

    <URL:http://www.janestheone.com/>

    Why do politicians like to advertise the fact that they're on the take?

    ;; 99% of browsers can't run ActiveX controls. Unfortunately ;; 99% of users are using the
    1% of browsers that can... [seen on /. 08:04:02]

  8. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 20:38:03 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >My MP, Jane Griffiths, chair of the all-party cycling group, has been deselected. This is
    >mainly the result of factional in-fighting in the local constituency party which has been going
    >on for years.
    >
    >The replacement candidate has two convictions for indecency so is unlikely to win what was until
    >1997 a Tory seat.

    For some reason, Guy, I thought of you when I heard that news. :)

    James

  9. Just zis Guy

    Just zis Guy Guest

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 06:52:11 GMT, Graeme
    <[email protected]>:

    >> My MP, Jane Griffiths, chair of the all-party cycling group, has been deselected.

    >Have you not said in the past that she'd swallowed the BeHIT line without question? If so, then
    >this should be no bad thing.

    Quite the opposite. Martin Salter, the Prince of Darkness in this little piece of pantomime, is a
    patron of BeHIT - Jane is a cyclist and knows the real figures, so she is storngly opposed to
    compulsion.

    Guy
    ===
    http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

  10. Just zis Guy

    Just zis Guy Guest

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 08:16:58 +0000 (UTC), "W K" <[email protected]>
    wrote in message <[email protected]>:

    >I heard this on the radio. She sounds like a git with no interpersonal skills, who just rubbed
    >everyone up the wrong way.

    "everyone" in this case being the Salter faction. On the plus side if she does have an argument with
    somoene she's capable of insulting them in five languages ;-)

    Guy
    ===
    http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

  11. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Jane is a cyclist and knows the real figures, so she is storngly opposed to compulsion.

    Ah, so she's one of the good guys. Barring the fact that she has pet rats of course, that's just
    strange [1]

    Graeme

    [1] This is where all the URC rat owners crawl out of the woodwork (or should I say hole in the
    skirting board)

  12. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> writes:

    > Quite the opposite. Martin Salter, the Prince of Darkness in this little piece of pantomime, is a
    > patron of BeHIT - Jane is a cyclist and knows the real figures, so she is storngly opposed to
    > compulsion.

    Guy, I hope you're getting to work on your local tory or libdem candidate (whichever is least
    ghastly) in anticipation of voting for them.

    --
    Nick Kew

  13. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Graeme wrote:

    > [1] This is where all the URC rat owners crawl out of the woodwork (or should I say hole in the
    > skirting board)

    I'm not one of the above, but have met enough pet rats in my time to know it isn't strange at all.
    They're smarter than most rodents kept as pets and a more sensible size as a pet. If they go on the
    run you have a finite chance of catching them (unlike a mouse or hamster), they can climb up to your
    shoulder and sit on it or accept transport in a pullover sleeve, unlike a rabbit, and so on. A lot
    of people have issues with the naked tail, but since most folk think squirrels are dead cute and
    they're basically rats with good PR it's not *too* hard to get past that.

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  14. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote in news:403B0D7E.90609
    @dundee.ac.uk:

    > I'm not one of the above, but have met enough pet rats in my time to know it isn't strange at all.

    Yeah, I know it's not really. I was just rather surprised to see her advertising it on her web site
    given the predictable reaction from a large section of the public.

    Graeme

  15. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    Graeme wrote:

    > Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote in news:403B0D7E.90609 @dundee.ac.uk:
    >

    >>I'm not one of the above, but have met enough pet rats in my time to know it isn't strange at all.
    >

    > Yeah, I know it's not really. I was just rather surprised to see her advertising it on her web
    > site given the predictable reaction from a large section of the public.

    Rats are the most common pet in the UK, and deservedly so.

    James

  16. Graeme wrote:
    > Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote in news:403B0D7E.90609 @dundee.ac.uk:
    >

    >>I'm not one of the above, but have met enough pet rats in my time to know it isn't strange at all.
    >

    > Yeah, I know it's not really. I was just rather surprised to see her advertising it on her web
    > site given the predictable reaction from a large section of the public.

    They don't scurry when something bigger comes their way Don't pack themselves together and run as
    one Don't shit where they're not supposed to Don't take what's not theirs, they don't compare

    They don't scam, don't fight Don't oppress an equals given rights Starve the poor so they can be
    well fed Line their holes with the dead ones bread

    Bad choice of pet for a politician...

  17. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

  18. Mark Pearson

    Mark Pearson Guest

    Graeme wrote:

    > Ah, so she's one of the good guys. Barring the fact that she has pet rats of course, that's just
    > strange [1]
    >

    > Graeme
    >
    > [1] This is where all the URC rat owners crawl out of the woodwork (or should I say hole in the
    > skirting board)

    We used to have 11. They were good fun and quite frendly.
    --
    Mark

    After thinking long about a signature I've decided not to bother.

  19. > A lot of people have issues with the naked tail

    It's like having two pets in one - a hamster and a sloworm!

    ---

  20. Jules

    Jules Guest

    Cardinal Fang <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Graeme wrote:
    > > Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote in news:403B0D7E.90609 @dundee.ac.uk:
    > >

    > >>I'm not one of the above, but have met enough pet rats in my time to know it isn't strange
    > >>at all.
    > >

    > > Yeah, I know it's not really. I was just rather surprised to see her advertising it on her web
    > > site given the predictable reaction from a large section of the public.
    >
    > They don't scurry when something bigger comes their way Don't pack themselves together and run as
    > one Don't shit where they're not supposed to Don't take what's not theirs, they don't compare
    >
    > They don't scam, don't fight Don't oppress an equals given rights Starve the poor so they can be
    > well fed Line their holes with the dead ones bread

    Actually even pet rats do all of the above. This is the real reason why mankind traditionally hates
    them; they are very like us, and where people thrive, rats thrive.

    > Bad choice of pet for a politician...

    Not at all. We used to name ours after politians and their friends...among others: Harriet, Edwina,
    Bill, Monica, Hillary, Mo, Glenda, Tessa, Angela, Madeline, Benazir.